Clubs On A Plane.

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hey,

sorry for the enormous snooze factor of this topic, but I was wondering when you travel abroad on a flight, does your club bag count in your overall weight allowance?

I seem to remember for large sporting items (snow board for example) that there is a separate check in and it doesn't count.

My golf travel bag is huge and I can fit loads more into it - is that a good way of sneakingly going over weight with no penalty.

OK, back to sleep.

Cheers

hi mate...it really is down to the airline. Some will charge you exta for clubs, some dont. Ifyou can keep to within 20kgs all the better..i try to. Check out some airlines on their web pages, usually they will say what the extra charge is for golf clubs.It is not usually done per extra kg , usiually a set charge

Hi ya Jim,

Mate I frequently travel with clubs on different flights and have never once been charged to do so. Some Airlines may if you are carrying excess luggage. It usually states on the Airlines websites but generally you are allowed 1 allocation of sporting luggage.

I have stopped off in Singapore a few times and bought clubs to sell back in NZ to make a bit of coin. Have even had 3 sets of irons in 1 bag. And when heading back to NZ for good from the UK I had all sorts stuffed in my golf travel cover.

Anyway goodluck and hope you get everything through without penalty!!!

Cheers

Chris

Hey,

sorry for the enormous snooze factor of this topic, but I was wondering when you travel abroad on a flight, does your club bag count in your overall weight allowance?

I seem to remember for large sporting items (snow board for example) that there is a separate check in and it doesn't count.

My golf travel bag is huge and I can fit loads more into it - is that a good way of sneakingly going over weight with no penalty.

OK, back to sleep.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
hi mate...it really is down to the airline. Some will charge you exta for clubs, some dont. Ifyou can keep to within 20kgs all the better..i try to. Check out some airlines on their web pages, usually they will say what the extra charge is for golf clubs.It is not usually done per extra kg , usiually a set charge

Is it best to arrange this before you check-in at the airport ?

Or take a chance ,that the flight is not busy ?

Do you know if they can be sent on 2-3 days later ?

:o Wiley Coyote

Is it best to arrange this before you check-in at the airport ?

Or take a chance ,that the flight is not busy ?

Do you know if they can be sent on 2-3 days later ?

:D Wiley Coyote

Normally you check in evverything and get your boarding pass. With your boarding pass you go to the Bulky Items Check in and leave your clubs there.

I normally put some extra clothes and joggers in the golf bag :o

I flew from the UK with Emirates and they didn't charge for my clubs, I just had to check them in at the oversize baggage desk. A friend flew with Qatar and he wasn't charged either but another friend flew with China airlines and he was charged nearly £30 excess for his clubs so I guess it depends which airline you fly with.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a matter of interest, Swiss-air who fly from Zurich to BKK have a 'Swiss Golf Club' which costs 3350B per year and entitles you to fly your golfing equipment free on ANY Swiss flight and you get a free SWISS coverbag as a welcome present. Otherwise they charge 2040B per Kilo , which is a H-LL of a lot of Baht's if they weigh my set and all the other stuff that I manage to cram into the bag/cover case.

I beleive that Qatar airlines allow one set of clubs for free, but as per a previous reply it is ALWAYS best to check with the airline or you might get a nasty shock.

In Europe it is quite normal now for airlines to charge anything from 1400B upto 5000B per set, but it seems that some only charge on the way out of the UK and NOT when you are coming back - strange as that seems.