Squirrels eating my figs!

djayz

The title says it all. I have loads of figs growing this year, but the blasted squirrels are gnawing away at them before I can pick 'em. I've been using fruit nets, which I place around the individual figs, to protect them, but this just results in the figs falling off or the little critters pulling and gnawing at them until the fruit is destroyed.

Any ideas how I can deter these creatures from destroying my fruit? Open to any and all suggestions. 

Thank you in advance.  

5 minutes ago, djayz said:

What, if anything, are you doing about it?

Netting helps a bit, but when move to new plot of land, think we're going to go with enclosing a whole area with wire (wire 'greenhouse;????), since wrapping every one is a bit of a hassle.  Yields getting better (tomatoes, strawberries, figs) every season for all fruits & veggies.  Just bought a 1/4 rai for 'farming'.  Going to screen in a good portion of it.

image.png.21a329c49cd2bab92f68b43bba5eed47.png

image.png.83bdc3bc792941bc78e63616d96b6a1c.png

image.png.70e5e74bf225d6eb0df3c2375a6d7a86.png

• Haha 1

How are the squirrels getting at the fruit? if they are climbing up the trunk? can you put baffle plates on the trunks.

You could try the cage traps ,baited with a fig , I knew someone who caught a mongoose in one, so they go work, if you catch one let it go a mile up the road. 

22 minutes ago, kickstart said:

How are the squirrels getting at the fruit? if they are climbing up the trunk? can you put baffle plates on the trunks.

You could try the cage traps ,baited with a fig , I knew someone who caught a mongoose in one, so they go work, if you catch one let it go a mile up the road. 

Have also been thinking of getting cage traps and baiting them. Don't think I'll be releasing any of them "up the road". 

Cage traps work. We have caught as many as 3 in a week. Bait with any fruit other than the fig. They like variety.

Bird netting. Haven't tried the trunk plates on the coconuts. They eat holes to get the the milk.

EDIT put the traps up in the trees. They do not like to be on the ground.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Cage traps work. We have caught as many as 3 in a week. Bait with any fruit other than the fig. They like variety.

Bird netting. Haven't tried the trunk plates on the coconuts. They eat holes to get the the milk.

EDIT put the traps up in the trees. They do not like to be on the ground.

Animal torture. Great

• Confused 1