Looking for Higher Spec Laptop (Buy online).

Troy Tempest

What's your budget?

I was looking for one two months ago and ended up with this one:

https://www.asus.com/th/Laptops/For-Creators/ProArt-Studiobook/ProArt-Studiobook-16-OLED-H5600-AMD-Ryzen-5000-series/

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX

Nvidia RTX3060 Graphics

1TB SSD

32GB Ram

16 inch OLED 3840x2400 (16:10) display

3 years on-site warranty

Has a ethernet port, and even has another nvme SSD slot inside, so you could add another SSD internally if 1TB isn't enough.

Solid build quality, no complaints after 2 months. The screen is very nice.

Comes at 71k though, and difficult to find. According to their website they also sell an Intel version for 75k, but this is seemingly not actually sold in Thailand yet. The AMD version is also difficult to find, mostly sold out, but after trying a few different shops I found mine at an ITCity store, so you need to be a bit lucky to get one.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MJCM said:

Have a look at Invadeit.co.th

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/

And there you can make a selection (Ram/cpu etc etc), but do please note, alot of High End Laptops are not available at the moment!!

I order most of my computer related stuff via them. Highly Recommended

+1 for invadeit. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What's your budget?

I was looking for one two months ago and ended up with this one:

https://www.asus.com/th/Laptops/For-Creators/ProArt-Studiobook/ProArt-Studiobook-16-OLED-H5600-AMD-Ryzen-5000-series/

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX

Nvidia RTX3060 Graphics

1TB SSD

32GB Ram

16 inch OLED 3840x2400 (16:10) display

3 years on-site warranty

Has a ethernet port, and even has another nvme SSD slot inside, so you could add another SSD internally if 1TB isn't enough.

Solid build quality, no complaints after 2 months. The screen is very nice.

Comes at 71k though, and difficult to find. According to their website they also sell an Intel version for 75k, but this is seemingly not actually sold in Thailand yet. The AMD version is also difficult to find, mostly sold out, but after trying a few different shops I found mine at an ITCity store, so you need to be a bit lucky to get one.

It only has 16GB RAM  It does have 32GB of RAM and this is a much better deal. I was just going to comment about how the lenovo p16 one's prices were a bit insane for 67k baht. This one at least has some justification for the price with the much better rtx3060 graphics card and 4k OLED screen. Of course if you don't care about that screen you could find higher spec'd hardware for less.

Edited by RedBackman

9 minutes ago, RedBackman said:

It only has 16GB RAM

It definitely has 32gb, I'm using it right now.

They actually write 16 x 2 in the description (and also on the box), to indicate that it has two 16gb modules installed.

9 minutes ago, RedBackman said:

Of course if you don't care about that screen you could find higher spec'd hardware for less.

Sure, but this usually also means making some other compromises.

For example the before mentioned laptop also has like a "little brother" https://www.asus.com/th/Laptops/For-Home/Vivobook/Vivobook-Pro-16X-OLED-M7600-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series/

You can even get with with nearly identical specs (cpu, ram, ssd, screen), just the 3050ti instead of the 3060.

But if you look at the details, they crippled the ports (HDMI port can't do 4k 60fps, some of the USB ports are 2.0), no full sized SD card reader, and a few other things which I forgot now, which made me decide to buy the Studiobook instead.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

It definitely has 32gb, I'm using it right now.

They actually write 16 x 2 in the description (and also on the box), to indicate that it has two 16gb modules installed.

Oh you're right, missed the x2. I thought you had bought the 32GB model but linked the 16GB by accident but I was wrong. Even better price comparison to the p16 in that case.

19 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

I checked on YouTube about backlit keyboards and apparently you can change the settings in BIOS if you want to switch it on or off permanently.....

I found the backlit keyboard very useful, if working in darkened environment. They aren't all multicolored, mine are white light. There's no need to use BIOS, usually there is a function key on the keyboard to tap a number of times for differing levels of brightness or off.

I was in your situation in the past (even had an HP Pavilion I bought in Thailand I wanted to replace) and when I checked prices of high end models of any brand locally at your budget range (around 100kTHB) I found I got much more bang for the buck buying internationally off Amazon even including import fees by a factor of 40% or more. I took the risk on warranty but I have never had issues with any of my laptops. I haven't bought anything since before 2020 and recent supply chain issues so YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

we had this conversation already. Most ppl find soldered RAM totally OK, I find it "suck hard" and "shorting costs"

https://aseannow.com/topic/1224885-ordering-a-lenovo-thinkpad-4-weeks/?do=findComment&comment=16708219

Thanks

Good that there are still some models with RAM modules.

And for the record: If it would be up to me and probably up to you we would change some things about those computers. Or maybe we wouldn't change them and keep them in the way they were 10 years ago.

But obviously it's not up to us. So at the end of the day the best we can do is select "the best" of what is currently available.

I am not a person who things ThinkPads are the best invention ever made. They are not. But they are on top of what is currently available - at least IMHO.

And I have long term good experience with them, i.e. drivers for models from years ago. Maybe other brands end their support pretty soon. And if a brand/model seems to be ok now that doesn't mean they are still supported in a couple of years. This is why I rely on my past experience and I look at the details of what I buy new.