New passport question.

You apply for a new uk passport and vfs send of all the docs.

You are told you cannot use your old passport for travel.

( At the moment that seems to be a good few weeks)

An emergency arises in uk and you need to go there.

How do you get there with your old passport.?

Decided on an edit.

Who actually says 'you cannot travel', VFS or UK passport office.

How would anyone know if you went to Vietnam or Malaysia say for a few days?

Edited by overherebc

Is that correct ???

When I have applied for a new passport at VFS Bangkok my existing passport remains valid.

It is only once I go and collect my new replacement passport that the corner of the cover my previous passport is cut-off invalidating it for travel.

Thus: IF you have been advised that you cannot travel on your existing passport while you have a application for a new passport in place I suspect there is a mistake in the information you have been provided with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is that correct ???

When I have applied for a new passport at VFS Bangkok my existing passport remains valid.

It is only once I go and collect my new replacement passport that the corner of the cover my previous passport is cut-off invalidating it for travel.

Thus: IF you have been advised that you cannot travel on your existing passport while you have a application for a new passport in place I suspect there is a mistake in the information you have been provided with. 

That seems sensible but remember we are dealing with the uk government.

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Has anyone been told they can't travel during renewal of passport and by what office?

have a look at you gov it says this https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, howerde said:

have a look at you gov it says this https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

It also mentions in that same website: 'Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document', in which case the British embassy is your friend.

So I think that will cover the O/P's question regarding an emergency arising in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, howerde said:

8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

Opps.... I did !!!... 

I don’t see how they could know...  as  your passport remains valid, I don’t see how you can’t be stopped. 

This seems like one of those ‘you shouldn’t’ situations.... to prevent them (FCO) for being held responsible for people booking holidays etc in anticipation of receiving their passports. 

Personally - it wouldn’t stop me from travelling away for a weekend etc..... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That the old passport effectively becomes invalid for travel immediately when applying for a new one, as opposed to when collecting the new one, is an insane rule that only the UK seems to have.

That it currently takes 11 weeks to get a new UK passport (as per another currently running thread here) makes it even more insane.

Then again they do make money on the ETD. At around 5000 baht (I think) it's not cheap.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

That the old passport effectively becomes invalid for travel immediately when applying for a new one, as opposed to when collecting the new one, is an insane rule that only the UK seems to have.

That it currently takes 11 weeks to get a new UK passport (as per another currently running thread here) makes it even more insane.

Normally you have to send the old passport back when renewing.  It's only in Thailand that you keep the old one until the new one arrives, as a passport is required for ID purposes here.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 6:33 PM, howerde said:

8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

great advice to all who might need new passport.....!!!!

• Haha 1