Thailand’s aim to be a medical hub to include dental services

webfact

Better warn these foreigners coming for the dental hub about the traps and pitfalls. Few years ago I went to the dental clinic attached to a well known Chonburi hospital. Lady dentist gave me a quote for replacing a filling, I agreed and work started. Then halfway through she stopped and informed me that the side of my tooth had unexpectedly broken away so she could no longer simply replace the filling. She would now have to do much more expensive work. I asked her for a quote. It was damn expensive but she kinda had me by the short & curlies as I was sitting in a dentist chair with a half drilled out tooth. So we went ahead. When it was all finished and I went to pay the bill it turns out the quote she gave was for her service only. The hospital added on use of the surgery + the dental assistant + the materials used. Furthermore a couple years later that tooth started thumping with pain, so I paid another dentist 500Bt to pull it out and toss it in the trashcan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand have promoted both Medical and Dental Tourism for some 20 years or so,  and actually quite fruitful for the Thai tourism industries and medical/dental professionals.   

As far as I know,  even some westerners who have never visited Thailand have heard about medical and dental options in Thailand. 

Good seeing they are  strengthening the effort,  regardless of hub or not. 

Just now, Lingba said:

OH Great...just what I want...to spend 1000's of baht to come to Thailand to tour a <deleted> hospital

I think they may be as pleased to see you as you would of them also ????

Hmmm, dentistry is all over the map in Thailand, from absolutely appalling to 'pretty' good.

My wife and I used to use Bangkok Dental Hospital in Thong Lor.

I had a crown done there, it failed within 2 years, I ended up paying for another one.

My wife had a crown done here in the US, it failed at 4 years, the dentist said it was his problem and replaced it for free.

So, a tourist travels to the 'hub', has some work done which subsequently fails.

Do they travel back to Thailand to maybe get it fixed for free?

Thats where the cost advantage can really run into trouble

• Like 1

People need to figure out the bottom line; is it worth it?

Flights, hotels, expenses worth coming here for medical?

Simple crowns or root canals can be completed in days.

Cosmetic and implants can take much longer.  Implants months.

I had 3 implants here and it cost me $4500.  Back home it would be $13,500.

But, I live here so much better for me.  May well be much different situation for a tourist.

• Like 1

My story of beginning as a yearly sometimes twice yearly dental tourist has zero drama or tragedy attached.

I have no shame in spruking my superb dentist.

I've been going to Dr Lily at Bangkok Dental Spa (Asok) for over a decade. Never had any issues at all. Always the best of diagnosis, communication, quotation very reasonable, only the best of prostheses, and sublime work. I get compliments on my pearlies all the time.

Mouth never more stable, breath improved, digestion better, with decade old intermittent wisdom teeth flaring's gone for good.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The dental hub project will focus on cosmetic dentistry under a one-price policy.

The Land of (cosmetic) Smiles -  if the price is right.  Hawked my TGF round a couple in Pattaya. The 1st was open but the dentist didn't arrive till mid afternoon!  The 2nd took her immediately; did a thorough cleaning routine for 1200 baht & left her with the same toothache which they intend to fix TWO days later!