Airbus Approved For On-board Cellphones

Mid

Airbus approved for on-board cellphones

Paris (dpa) - European aircraft manufacturer Airbus announced Tuesday that it had become the first company to receive airworthiness certification for a cell-phone system aboard an aeroplane.

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) approved Airbus' GSM on-board system on Monday, Airbus said.

The Post Publishing Public Co

there is a very good chance that I will be found guilty of manslaughter if this flies ...........................

Airbus approved for on-board cellphones
Paris (dpa) - European aircraft manufacturer Airbus announced Tuesday that it had become the first company to receive airworthiness certification for a cell-phone system aboard an aeroplane.

The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) approved Airbus' GSM on-board system on Monday, Airbus said.

The Post Publishing Public Co

there is a very good chance that I will be found guilty of manslaughter if this flies ...........................

Mobile phones what can be used as a switch for a bomb?, did they say anything about my granmas nail clippers???

Read an NTSB report recently where they stated that, even though the pilots had a cellular phone, when they could not raise ATC on any radio frequency they did not try their cellular phone to call the landline. Later in the flight they flew into a mountain.

Maybe the ban on using cell phones in aircraft also applies to the pilots. But if aircraft can have their own cellular system does that mean all passengers can use their phones, or will they have to route through the onboard cell system and pay a premium access fee akin to roaming ?

Sounds very likely.

Read an NTSB report recently where they stated that, even though the pilots had a cellular phone, when they could not raise ATC on any radio frequency they did not try their cellular phone to call the landline. Later in the flight they flew into a mountain.

Where is that report?

The last thing I want on a flight is to sit through *hours* of other people's mobile conversations. I already want to shoot the selfish bastards that turn their phones on the instant it lands.

I hope the calls are really, really expensive.

If they allow the use of cell phones during the flight they should be compelled to introduce cell-phone or non-cell-phone seating arrangements like back in the days of smoking or non-smoking. The cell phone section being down in the cargo hold or out on the <deleted>' wing or, better still, back in the bluddy airport terminal.

A twelve hour flight LHR to BKK with a plane load of cell phone geeks will have me signing up for Islamic Jihad.

Another reason for avoiding flying on the A380 (as if we needed one).

Aside from there being no real reason to avoid the 380, how are you going to avoid the 320s, 330/40s, and fly only Boeings? This service is not specific to the 380.

Heaven help us if everyone starts talking on their mobile. :o

To say nothing of the ring tones when other people are trying to sleep. :D :D

Gosh, it will be just like taking an overnight train in Thailand in second class. The only time I was stupid enough to do that, I barely got any sleep: mobile phones going off ALL NIGHT LONG!

Since then my train trips, granted not all that often, are now in a closed first class cabin.

I guess it must be some internal system that links via satellite or something. I mean how is someone suppose to have network coverage over the atlantic at 10 KM altitude ?

I have visions of a flying GSM tower as I type this.

One thing that always puzzles me is how did people on the 9/11 flights make cell phone calls, given probable altitude?

Regards

I guess it must be some internal system that links via satellite or something. I mean how is someone suppose to have network coverage over the atlantic at 10 KM altitude ?

I have visions of a flying GSM tower as I type this.

One thing that always puzzles me is how did people on the 9/11 flights make cell phone calls, given probable altitude?

Altitude actually worked in their favour as the amount of towers in line of sight were far more than normal. Five to Seven miles in altitude is still well within the range of towers. Over the ocean though you won't have thousands of towers below you like the 9-11 callers did.

Edited by cdnvic

Regards

Most of the calls on United 93 were made from onboard credit card airphones. Only 2 calls were made from cell phones when the plane was at ~5,000 feet above sea level.