Philippines Vs. Thailand Thread?

dddave

Sometime this past year, there was a long thread centering on living in Thailand Vs. Philippines.  I have been trying to locate it but neither this forums search function nor Google have been able to find it.  I'm not even sure which sub-forum it was originally posted on. 

I hope somebody can provide a link for this past topic.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, Stygge said:

Well, there shall always be a thread like this going so you can always start a new one of an old subject.
As I see it the two main contenders of the westernes interest are Thailand and the Philippines with Vietnam as a coming runner up.
Since this is a thai forum most posters here favor Thailand.
The pros and cons have been extensively listed and then it´s a personal preference of what has the highest weight for the individual expat.

I stay mostly in Thailand, because of the ease of flying there and the better infrastructure making a short holiday easier.
But in the long run I prefer the Philippines.
The most weight for me in the long run is the language. Even if the english language understanding is exaggerated in the far out provinces it´s still so much better than in thailand. I also experience  the filipinos so much more curios and inquisitive about the world than the thais. For me it´s decisive in the long run. I find the island country the Philippines far less insular than Thailand.
I also think the Philippines in the long run has better prospects than Thailand, mainlu because it´s much younger population. It´s going to make all the difference in the future.
The food is a minor problem for mie since I think food in Thailand generally has deteriorated the latest decade. Heavy on sugar, salt and glutamat it has certainly changed for the worse.
Most of us come for the temples and beautiful churches and other cultural activities of course, but a small, deprived minority comes to find women.
If I, reluctantly, put their glasses on, I can say there is not much difference between Thailand and the Philippines, but maybe the age difference in their respective populations makes the number of younger girls more protruding in the Philippines. If this is a pro or a con I wouldn´t know. Most expats maybe seeking more age appropriate 50 year old ladies and then I definitely recommend Thailand.

Otherwiise both are south east asian countries and the similarites are predominant.

I spent 7 years in the Philippines and now 25 here in Thailand.  I opted to retire here due

to 1)no volcanoes erupting (yet), 2) minor earthquakes seldom only 3) no typhoons every

year.  But I speak Tagalog and Thai so the language doesn't impact me.  The food to me

is much better in Thailand.  However, I also was an avid scuba diver (over 500 dives) and

Thailand can't even begin to come close to the number of super clear water (can see the

moon clearly at 140 feet deep at night of course).  As a hasher, there are a lot less snakes

in the PI so that was a plus too.  Golf for me was a lot cheaper in the PI but that was 30 years

ago so...  Either way, I loved the PI and I love Thailand.  I do read that immigration activity for

the PI is better than here, but the last couple of years here, immigration has gotten a lot

easier for me - no change other than I can't get an Embassy income letter but that just saves

me about 50 USD a year plus the visit there so even that got easier.  Either country can be

almost heaven in my opinion and I also have lived/worked in many EU countries, some

African and many Asian countries and overall, Thailand is still my choice for retirement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeachCH said:

1991 - 2011 working in Bangkok (married 3 times, divorced 3 times), since then living in Manila. (Once married, never divorced). 

Prefer the Philippines ????????

Nothing to do with older and wiser and poorer I take it.....??????????

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That's because once married in the Phils it takes an literal act of congress, and the church approval to get a divorce in the Phils.  A friend married his Filipino wife 5 years ago and I was his best man.  The final signature on the paper was from the provincial Governor and it was only done after a 1 hour interview with my friend, his wife, and then questions directed towards me by the Governor asking about my friends character.  At the end when he signed, he told them both that the only way a marriage ends in the Phils is by death or the church annulling it which is a very extensive process.........

I lived in Cebu for awhile, and liked it the best from the other places I lived while there.  Manila was a bad experience with getting mugged not once but twice in the parking garage one in the mall, and the other in my residence.........It is the primary reason I moved back to Bangkok.

Mugged twice in Manila in the 1990s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stygge said:

Well, there shall always be a thread like this going so you can always start a new one of an old subject.
As I see it the two main contenders of the westernes interest are Thailand and the Philippines with Vietnam as a coming runner up.
Since this is a thai forum most posters here favor Thailand.
The pros and cons have been extensively listed and then it´s a personal preference of what has the highest weight for the individual expat.

I stay mostly in Thailand, because of the ease of flying there and the better infrastructure making a short holiday easier.
But in the long run I prefer the Philippines.
The most weight for me in the long run is the language. Even if the english language understanding is exaggerated in the far out provinces it´s still so much better than in thailand. I also experience  the filipinos so much more curios and inquisitive about the world than the thais. For me it´s decisive in the long run. I find the island country the Philippines far less insular than Thailand.
I also think the Philippines in the long run has better prospects than Thailand, mainlu because it´s much younger population. It´s going to make all the difference in the future.
The food is a minor problem for mie since I think food in Thailand generally has deteriorated the latest decade. Heavy on sugar, salt and glutamat it has certainly changed for the worse.
Most of us come for the temples and beautiful churches and other cultural activities of course, but a small, deprived minority comes to find women.
If I, reluctantly, put their glasses on, I can say there is not much difference between Thailand and the Philippines, but maybe the age difference in their respective populations makes the number of younger girls more protruding in the Philippines. If this is a pro or a con I wouldn´t know. Most expats maybe seeking more age appropriate 50 year old ladies and then I definitely recommend Thailand.

Otherwiise both are south east asian countries and the similarites are predominant.

You think food in the Philippines is good compared to Thailand? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Mugged twice in Manila in the 1990s.

Things never Change unfortunately.  Many of the former military guys I ran with up near Clark also had that experience when down in Manila.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Pros-
1. The women can be lovely. And many of them speak english. And if you are older guy, that is a plus in the PI. Plus they are way less demanding, and the bar is set much lower, in terms of their expectations. Older guys can get with far younger women, without an issue. The parents actually encourage it! Generally, it is possible to have a real conversation with many women there. Not the case here. It is rare here. Unlike most Thai women, the women there can have a real sense of curiousity, and will ask genuine questions about you, and your life, beyond where do you come from, how much do you earn, and what do you own? The PI seems to have a higher level of intellectual development. Also, many would argue that PI women are better lovers, and far more into sex than the average Thai woman. Although that is subjective. 

Pre-COVID, some guys found a lady there and brought her back to Thailand. Best of both worlds.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's easy: I prefer Thailand and innocent Thai girls. They don't speak English. ???? 

Far from innocent, they are programmed for the long con....lol, well some are.  Had a friend whose marriage lasted 20 years here in Thailand, in the end when he turned 80 and needed daily help, the now 55 year old woman, kicked him to the curb and took him to the cleaners, all because he needed daily assistance after a stroke......so nice to see they are so caring unlike the Filipina women who are natural care givers.  Friend in the Phils has the same aged wife, he needs help daily, former military, and she is loving and caring.  The drawback as some of us have posted is the safety of yourself in the Phils.

• Confused 2

They are about the same for me.  The girls are very similar in their GFE which are both very good.

I like the English in Phils.  But, prices are way up there now if you look at hotels, etc. more then Thailand.

I never understood the food complaint seems so stupid there are probably more western foods available in the Phils then here.  Some people can find a place to eat? Dumb.

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

They are about the same for me.  The girls are very similar in their GFE which are both very good.

I like the English in Phils.  But, prices are way up there now if you look at hotels, etc. more then Thailand.

I never understood the food complaint seems so stupid there are probably more western foods available in the Phils then here.  Some people can find a place to eat? Dumb.

True about the food, but it depends upon where you live.  In Cebu where I was staying you had to drive a distance to find decent food, but instead I obtained an S&R Membership (Like Costco) and purchased everything I could so I could cook at my Condo.  I also would order from Amazon, and it was no issue getting this delivered, where here it takes an act of congress and many of the items can not be shipped here, but then I have sourced out what I need here in Thailand thanks to living in BKK.

Edited by ThailandRyan

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Far from innocent, they are programmed for the long con....lol, well some are.  Had a friend whose marriage lasted 20 years here in Thailand, in the end when he turned 80 and needed daily help, the now 55 year old woman, kicked him to the curb and took him to the cleaners, all because he needed daily assistance after a stroke......so nice to see they are so caring unlike the Filipina women who are natural care givers.  Friend in the Phils has the same aged wife, he needs help daily, former military, and she is loving and caring.  The drawback as some of us have posted is the safety of yourself in the Phils.

I think it is always funny when some people mention long con together with Thai girls or women. Do you know any Thai person who thinks more than maybe a month ahead? Do you really think they have this 20 year plan? 555

We all change, that is nature. Maybe if we are a couple we change in the same direction and we grow old together and still have the same interest. Or maybe we grow apart. I think nobody of us should expect that their girlfriend or wife stays with them forever. And we also should not expect that our kids take care of us when we are old or need help. Maybe they do, but we shouldn't expect it to happen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Presnock said:

I spent 7 years in the Philippines and now 25 here in Thailand.  I opted to retire here due

to 1)no volcanoes erupting (yet), 2) minor earthquakes seldom only 3) no typhoons every

year.  But I speak Tagalog and Thai so the language doesn't impact me.  The food to me

is much better in Thailand.  However, I also was an avid scuba diver (over 500 dives) and

Thailand can't even begin to come close to the number of super clear water (can see the

moon clearly at 140 feet deep at night of course).  As a hasher, there are a lot less snakes

in the PI so that was a plus too.  Golf for me was a lot cheaper in the PI but that was 30 years

ago so...  Either way, I loved the PI and I love Thailand.  I do read that immigration activity for

the PI is better than here, but the last couple of years here, immigration has gotten a lot

easier for me - no change other than I can't get an Embassy income letter but that just saves

me about 50 USD a year plus the visit there so even that got easier.  Either country can be

almost heaven in my opinion and I also have lived/worked in many EU countries, some

African and many Asian countries and overall, Thailand is still my choice for retirement.

Where do you live? Near the beach?

57 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Phil food is <deleted>

Thai food is good

6 hours ago, starky said:

You think food in the Philippines is good compared to Thailand? 

Same same but different.
Western food more available.
Vegetables more available in Thailand.
Taste is like an <deleted>, everyone has one.
The myth is that Thai food is more healthy. That was long time ago.
You have to visit grandma in the province to get old style healthy and tasty thaifood.