You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

A TV that can act as a computer or media player.

JeffersLos

I haven’t bought a new TV in a long time, and this time around I have different needs and purposes.

Size is to be 42-48 inches. 45 would be perfect.

Full HD

It won't be connected to any TV box or connection, so won't be used for watching TV channels.

It needs to act as a computer slash media player device with a wireless mouse and keyboard option, can open up a browser such as Chrome. It’s main use will be for watching YouTube videos and surfing the net.

If it has a hard drive storage capability to copy, store and play mpeg movies or even PC games that’s a bonus, not a necessity.

It needs a 3.5 jack audio output or the white and red audio jack outputs. 3.5mm Jack is preferable. It will connect/plug into an external sound system.

It can connect by LAN cable or Wifi (LAN cable is best.)

It isn’t for our use so a low price is better than a high one.

Buying on Lazada is the preferred purchase option.

Any advice or recommendations about models appreciated. 

TIA

• Haha 1

You are not looking for a TV,you are looking for a PC(gaming) monitor!

Lots of choices even with build in speakers etc.

Just walk into any PC shop and see what they have,what some one else likes might not be what you are looking for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think any 'smart' new TV will check almost all of those boxes.  Mine will and it's 3 ish years old.  

Only one that might be an issue, though TBH, not sure, would be if they had a hard drive for storage.  I don't think mine has, though again, TBH, haven't looked as don't need.   I use mine basically as a monitor, but it will conx to the internet (plugged or wifi), has a browser, and pre-loaded apps for just about everything.

I had a similar conundrum this year, after 10 years my TV died

I have a small tech hobby so I enjoy gadgets, My new TV 2021 has built in applications like YouTube HBO Netlfix etc, but it’s the actual operating system of the TV which will not be updated properly meaning the applications will be slow or unusable after 2-3-4 years

I have tried several built in Smart TV’s and the latest models are reasonable but I would advise using one of the HDMI”s sockets and then connect an external device, this will give you an option of upgrading the external device and keep same TV-Display

My personal recommendation would be an Amazon Firestick

I also have and  X-Box S but don’t use that much, and Apple TV but don’t use that much.

I’ve found the firestick is suitable for 99% of what I need, and I can also unplug it and take with me on holiday and use in the Hotels wherever I stay, which was a life saver during pandemic Quarantine.

Fire stick costs approx. 50-60-70 USD   and an be bought from Lazada, i have bought approx 5 or 6 for family and friends over the years 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jvs said:

you are looking for a PC(gaming) monitor!

I'm not, no. 

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think any 'smart' new TV will check almost all of those boxes.  Mine will and it's 3 ish years old.  

Only one that might be an issue, though TBH, not sure, would be if they had a hard drive for storage. 

Yes, that would be a bonus, not a necessity. ????

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

it will conx to the internet (plugged or wifi), has a browser, and pre-loaded apps for just about everything.

Perfect, thank you. 

23 minutes ago, sungod said:

Decent TV box hooked up to a TV is the way ahead. Put one in my sons bedroom with a wireless key board and mouse, works fantastic.

Those smart TVs aren't always smart, boxes give you more flexibility.

Thanks. There isn't a TV coax table, does it need one?

28 minutes ago, bolt said:

I had a similar conundrum this year, after 10 years my TV died

I have a small tech hobby so I enjoy gadgets, My new TV 2021 has built in applications like YouTube HBO Netlfix etc, but it’s the actual operating system of the TV which will not be updated properly meaning the applications will be slow or unusable after 2-3-4 years

I have tried several built in Smart TV’s and the latest models are reasonable but I would advise using one of the HDMI”s sockets and then connect an external device, this will give you an option of upgrading the external device and keep same TV-Display

My personal recommendation would be an Amazon Firestick

I also have and  X-Box S but don’t use that much, and Apple TV but don’t use that much.

I’ve found the firestick is suitable for 99% of what I need, and I can also unplug it and take with me on holiday and use in the Hotels wherever I stay, which was a life saver during pandemic Quarantine.

Fire stick costs approx. 50-60-70 USD   and an be bought from Lazada, i have bought approx 5 or 6 for family and friends over the years 

For the complete technophobes, please explain what a "firestick" is. Thanks.

This looks good, but on the small side (40'', a few inches bigger would be better, that's what she said last night)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/android-tv-full-hd-tcl-40-led-wifi-1080p-android-tv-smart-tv-40s6500-hdmi-usb-dts-google-assistant-netflix-youtube-gigital-tv-0-15g-ram8grom-voice-search-remote-i3080794387.html?

It looks to have pretty much all that's required.

TV Features

Netflix,Voice Control,HDR,Wireless Connectivity,Web Browser,Mobile Screen Mirroring

Display Size (inches)

TV Resolution

Full HD (1080p)

power_consumption

Ports Input

HDMI,USB,RF in (Terrestrial/Cable Input),Digital Audio Out(Optical),Audio Out (Mini Jack),Ethernet (LAN),Composite in (AV)

Plug_Type

2 Pin

Model

40S6500

Technology

LED

input_voltage

Smart TV OS

android os

Warranty Type

Warranty Available

Warranty Period

1 Year

Is there a reason, other than the size not to go for this? (we are happy with the TCL brand)

29 minutes ago, Tofer said:

For the complete technophobes, please explain what a "firestick" is. Thanks.

its an Amazon Firestick, basically a mini computer without keyboard - mouse or screen

all you have to do is plug into to TV HDMI and then connect to WIFI network and use the remote control and hey presto.

these devices are fabulous, may other similar on the market, Google has a Chromecast, Mi TV Stick, Roku Stick, its all down to price but they're all basically the same 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

This looks good, but on the small side (40'', a few inches bigger would be better, that's what she said last night)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/android-tv-full-hd-tcl-40-led-wifi-1080p-android-tv-smart-tv-40s6500-hdmi-usb-dts-google-assistant-netflix-youtube-gigital-tv-0-15g-ram8grom-voice-search-remote-i3080794387.html?

Is there a reason, other than the size not to go for this? (we are happy with the TCL brand)

what distance will you be sitting from the screen??? and will you be using the same screen to read documents or emails ??

9 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

And 'the box' connects to the router with via LAN cable?

And the wireless keyboard and mouse signal to the box? 

believe it or not but I would recommend using the WIFI connection, the reason is almost 99% of TVs have a MAX LAN cable connection of 100mb, even the latest 2021, i couldn't believe it, but the WIFI can get speeds up to 1,000MB 

cable connections are more stable so the 100mb "Should be ok" but the perhaps in 2-3 4 years the internet streaming speeds will be 1,000mb(1GB+0 so bear that in mind.

as i said in earlier post, you should really use your TV-Display as a Display only and connect external device, the external device will connect to internet and can be updated or even changed over later, and your screen (TV) can stay the same.

Edited by bolt
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

you can always buy that TV for 6k, and see how it goes, if its too slow you can always connect an external device and compare 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bolt said:

believe it or not but I would recommend using the WIFI connection, the reason is almost 99% of TVs have a MAX LAN cable connection of 100mb, even the latest 2021, i couldn't believe it, but the WIFI can get speeds up to 1,000MB 

cable connections are more stable so the 100mb "Should be ok" but the perhaps in 2-3 4 years the internet streaming speeds will be 1,000mb(1GB+0 so bear that in mind.

as i said in earlier post, you should really use your TV-Display as a Display only and connect external device, the external device will connect to internet and can be updated or even changed over later, and your screen (TV) can stay the same.

Thanks. For this project we're not interested in external devices. 

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

And 'the box' connects to the router with via LAN cable?

And the wireless keyboard and mouse signal to the box? 

If the router is close by the box, then LAN is sufficient, probably get a max speed of around 100mbps. Wifi is fine also.

Wireless keyboard/mouse will come with a 'dongle' which you plug into a USB port on the box.

Capture.JPG

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I'm not, no. 

Yes, that would be a bonus, not a necessity. ????

Perfect, thank you. 

Thanks. There isn't a TV coax table, does it need one?

get a basic computer, it will meet your requirements much better.

6 minutes ago, tgw said:

please point out which of your requirements a basic computer does not meet

10 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

TV

7 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

For this project we're not interested in external devices. 

????

24 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

TV

"won't be used for watching TV channels. "

"It needs to act as a computer"

24 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

For this project we're not interested in external devices. 

"wireless keyboard and mouse" 

unless you describe better the intended use and reason for the constraints, it will be difficult to provide you with better ideas.

the best I could summarize your requirement would be "screen/monitor that integrates a computer" in one piece.

the device coming closest to your requirement would be an apple imac, except for the price.

insisting on a one-piece device does not make economical or technical sense (think about codec* updates, parts failing, ease of upgrade, etc. ), unless there are "reasons" you might want to explain.

* regarding codec updates, already H265 (or VP9 in apple tech) requires a fair amount of computing power to decode the high compression, that's why you won't find any very cheap screen device doing it. Devices that do it, will typically offer smart-TV functions, but IMO it's a waste to put such a processor in a TV/screen. And I expect that non-computer devices currently supporting H265/VP9 will not be able to be upgraded to support whatever next compression standard that will be released due to insufficient computing power.

if you give up the "one piece" requirement, the best solution would be an android streaming box + a cheap screen.

and oh yeah, I had horrendous experience with TCL brand, both the quality of the product and their warranty/support service. never again.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

So you have a rental property 20km away .. you have a load of movies on a HDD and you want them playable by the TV in the rental? Maybe its like a holiday rental for westerners and you want to offer them something extra?

I think it's not going to be possible to find a TV with a built in HDD. 

However, you can just buy a regular TV, and set up your own streaming service from your home. You need to use your computer as a server, you need to install the software on your machine, this is called Plex, Emby or Jellyfin. There is already the software available in your TV apps store, (no need for an android box at the property) the files can also access it via chrome as you mentioned.

You can run the server on a cheap low power computer or from your home computer, it cant be switched off tho' - if you need to update the content, no need to visit the rental, just change it on your end.

You can give them a BT mouse and keyboard, but for the most part it's not needed, they can use the TV remote control. Its quite simple for the tenant, the GUI will be something like Netflix or Disney+ - just select and play.

If this is of interest, I can explain a little more.

Edited by recom273

On 6/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, JeffersLos said:

Your "no devices connected" requirement leaves you with either smart tvs or all-in-one pcs, but with your screen size requirements and prices you're probably just looking for smart tvs. The one you picked looks mostly fine but I might look for a more recent androidtv version, 8.0 will still work but it's already unsupported. Androidtv 12 is current and 13 will be released this year.

Now built-in smart tv devices are normally pretty bad, but they'll handle normal streaming apps okay like netflix/youtube/disney+/etc. You don't even need a keyboard and mouse for those really. Web browsing on androidtv isn't great though, especially on a low quality device. And if you're thinking of doing actual desktop computer work that's even worse. These built-in devices do have internal storage but it's usually really small so don't expect to store a library of movie files on the device or anything. The one you linked above only has 8GB.

If the "act as a computer" part of your question is at all serious you'd probably have to hook up something external for good results. Little nucs or mini-computers can be mounted behind the screen or otherwise out of sight and give you a full desktop experience.

Edited by RedBackman
  • Like 1