Bringing Alcohol to Thailand -- Tax Amount?

JayBird

I believe I can bring 1 liter of alcohol with me without any problems.

I wish to bring about 2-3 Liters of alcohol with me.  I would like to know if this is permitted, and what the tax would be (and how it would be calculated). 

Also, would it differ if I carried it with me, or had it shipped separately with other personal belongings that are coming?

Note:
These extra bottles I want for sentimental reasons (they were gifts from colleagues and one was even a special batch of wine made specifically for our team).  I have no plans to drink them, just to keep them on my shelf like a trophy/plaque.

Thank you.

41 minutes ago, howerde said:

You can only bring in 1 litre of alcohol, there is no paying extra duty on excess alcohol, go through red channel and drop off you excess bottles, no come back, go through green channel and get caught confiscated and fines

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01#:~:text=all types combined-,No more than 1 litre of alcoholic beverage,prosecution will be carried out.

If you wish to go through the green channel, you are limited to 1 liter.  That is correct.

But further down it states:

• Case 1 Passengers' accompanying belongings which are not for commercial purpose and do not exceed 200,000 baht in value
    Procedure
      1. Customs officers at the "Goods to Declare" channel assess flat rate duty and taxes
      2. Passengers make payment of duty and taxes by cash or debit/credit card
      3. Passengers are provided with payment receipts and retrieve their belongings

I've also been informed by others that import/export things that it can be brought in, but a high tax is to paid on it.  But they did not mention what %.

• Like 1

I believe that, legally, it is not possible to import more than 1 litre of alcohol without a licence. Obviously, there will have been instances when people have managed to do so by concealing the items or even paying a bribe.

This website describes how to obtain a licence. Maybe you could contact them and get advice.

https://thailand.acclime.com/formation/business-licenses/import-alcohol-to-thailand/

• Like 1

If you are bringing them in then before you leave get sales receipts for each bottle showing eh cost and value

But it sounds like you would have an easier time if you include them with the manifest for the things you are shipping.

I had diplomatic immunity going to Pakistan and still was told any booze include in the shipment.

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 2

OP suggest you contact your shipping company of other goods and inquire about the bottles

of alcohol or apply for license for non trade. Wouldn’t risk losing the bottles. You might check 

if any restrictions for carry on liquids.

Prior experience flying into the US from Shanghai bought a bottle of liquor at the duty free shop across from boarding gate … upon boarding was told no liquid carry on for flight to US. After talking 

to several persons from airline finally convinced them to put in as checked in. 

• Like 1

Once I tried to pay duty on a second bottle of whisky. I was shooed away by the customs officers.
After that, I often brought several liters of schnapps over the permitted amount. Nobody was interested although my suitcases were scanned at the exit.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, howerde said:

You can only bring in 1 litre of alcohol, there is no paying extra duty on excess alcohol, go through red channel and drop off you excess bottles, no come back, go through green channel and get caught confiscated and fines

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01#:~:text=all types combined-,No more than 1 litre of alcoholic beverage,prosecution will be carried out.

What is ridiculous it's 1 liter of "alcoholic beverage" and not alcohol. Cannot legally bring a 6-pack of beer to my condo security guy. 

I don't know why so many are upset with this regulation. Its the same for many countries around the world including the UK although we are a little more Liberal with the amount we can bring in from abroad.

If you have travelled to Thailand frequently you will now your chances of getting stopped and your bag xrayed as virtually zero. I often you used to bring a few bottles with me and have never had a drama. In fact there were times i have sat the clear duty free bag in the top tray of the baggage trolley with multiple bottles in it and never had a drama. If it's only a one off for you I would take the chance you will most likely get them through. If by some rare chance you get xrayed and its an issue be like a Thai and play dumb.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1