3rd stage syphilis -- is there a test for it? Or is it the normal syphilis test?

Somtummm

For the Thai Work Permit a medical certificate is required which states that the applicant doesn't have 3rd stage syphilis (among other things).

Is the blood test for that specifically testing for 3rd stage syphilis? Or is testing for syphilis in general? (i.e., is a syphilis test able to distinguish between 1st 2nd and 3rd stage of the infection?)

Or in other word: Does someone who tested negative for the work permit not have syphilis? Or does he only not have 3rd stage syphilis?

Edited by Somtummm

The test is for the syphilis antibodies (or in some cases the bacterium itself), not a specific stage.

If you have tested positive for syphilis, the third stage is fairly obvious to the casual observer.

A doctor rarely needs anything more than a visual confirmation of stage 3 once infection is confirmed.

The other stages are less obvious, and there is even a latent stage with no symptoms.

There is no test that confirms tertiary stage syphilis per se.

There are blood tests that can confirm or rule out a current syphilis infection. If positive, the determination that it is tertiary stage (very, very unlikely) has to be made clinically.

Most doctors will be fine signing that you do not have tertiary syphilis based solely on physical examination. I have heard of a few workplaces insisting in blood test as well as medical certificate. (Nothing in the government requirements for work permit says this)

Be aware that there are several types of blood test:

TPHA test is specific to syphilis but, since it is antibody based, can remain positive if you had a prior infection already cured. Hence, while a negative TPHA rules syphilis out, a positive one needs to be followed by something called an RPR titer. RPR is not syphilis specific (can be elevated for other reasons) but will help distinguish between past and current infection in someone who is TPHA positive (only worth bothering about if the person is known to have been previously treated for syphilis).

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:24 AM, timendres said:

The test is for the syphilis antibodies (or in some cases the bacterium itself), not a specific stage.

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no test that confirms tertiary stage syphilis per se.

There are blood tests that can confirm or rule out a current syphilis infection.

Thanks. That means that someone who gets tested every year as part of his work permit medical certificate doesn’t necessarily need a separate syphilis test anymore as part of his regular annual/half-year health checkup, right? 

(Btw, a blood test has always been included in my work perm medical certificate process for the last 10 years or so, regardless of the employer and the hospital. Police hospital, BNH, St. Louis, Sukhumvit hospital) 

1 hour ago, Somtummm said:

Thanks. That means that someone who gets tested every year as part of his work permit medical certificate doesn’t necessarily need a separate syphilis test anymore as part of his regular annual/half-year health checkup, right? 

(Btw, a blood test has always been included in my work perm medical certificate process for the last 10 years or so, regardless of the employer and the hospital. Police hospital, BNH, St. Louis, Sukhumvit hospital) 

Never did need a separate syphilis test unless employer requires it. For work permit, only need doctor to sign off that you don't have tertiary syphilis, elephantiasias et .

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Never did need a separate syphilis test unless employer requires it. For work permit, only need doctor to sign off that you don't have tertiary syphilis, elephantiasias et .

Interesting. Only for my very first work permit medical certificate the hospital didn’t do any tests but just signed off the paper. That was back in 2008. Every time since then the hospital would always take blood and actually look at me. And this was independent from the employer — most of the times I walked into the hospital of my choice and asked for the work permit medical certificate and they would require the blood test etc. 

6 minutes ago, Somtummm said:

Interesting. Only for my very first work permit medical certificate the hospital didn’t do any tests but just signed off the paper. That was back in 2008. Every time since then the hospital would always take blood and actually look at me. And this was independent from the employer — most of the times I walked into the hospital of my choice and asked for the work permit medical certificate and they would require the blood test etc. 

Well they are supposed to look at you.  (just in the unlikely event you do have one of the listed diseases...). But there is no requirement for a blood test for work permit medical clearance, that is the hospital or clinic's own doing.

https://www.medconsultasia.com/services/

Couple hundred baht I think. No blood test required.