Electric fences

From what i've researched and been told a good earth is most important.

I think it would nearly be easier to do the kilometers of fixed fence once than drive in ground stakes and dig them up and repeat.

I just watched a few you tube vids this morning on goats and fences.

Most recommend a training pen with electric for 2-3 days before being put in larger area's.

Also interesting is they don't like wet feet so need somewhere they can get to when it rains.

@Hummin are you happy with the power your portable set up puts out?

What animals are you keeping in?   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I think it would nearly be easier to do the kilometers of fixed fence once than drive in ground stakes and dig them up and repeat.

Most recommend a training pen with electric for 2-3 days before being put in larger area's.

Also interesting is they don't like wet feet so need somewhere they can get to when it rains.

Im very happy with the gallagher s20, and the fences I kept making bigger and now cover all my available land for the sheeps, instead of moving around. When it comes to poles, they come in many variations, I bought the ones to 145 baht iron coated with plastic, and two rolls of 500m line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

It is all safe by design. Do you want to buy it all or DIY.

I always DIY as much as possible. But in this case I need to see what's available. I need something that works, can be somewhat portable, and isn't going to kill anyone.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Good info. thanks

Here is a wire chart to give you an idea.https://www.okutanikanaami.co.jp/en/woven/wire-gauge.html

Number 17 wire seems popular and the chart converts metres to kilo's which wire is sold in Thailand at.?baht.

A cheap controller 800-1000 baht.

Ground rod ? 300 baht

Some insulated wire to go from ground to controller and controller to fence?baht

Insulaters for posts ?cheap.

Can find all the products on lazada to give you a ball park figure depending on distance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Here is a wire chart to give you an idea.https://www.okutanikanaami.co.jp/en/woven/wire-gauge.html

Number 17 wire seems popular and the chart converts metres to kilo's which wire is sold in Thailand at.?baht.

A cheap controller 800-1000 baht.

Ground rod ? 300 baht

Some insulated wire to go from ground to controller and controller to fence?baht

Insulaters for posts ?cheap.

Can find all the products on lazada to give you a ball park figure depending on distance.

Yep, our local cattle shop will sell a made in Thailand fencer unit for 900 baht for a mains unit  a  mains/ battery  unit is about 1500baht, shopee also sell them .

One of these units will go the OP well ,I have used one up to 400 meters ,but as FJ said the earth is important ,but again for the OP a rod knocked 4 foot in the ground should work.our locale shop sells 4-5 foot ground rods for about 200 baht.

Wire I  use 14 SWG  wire  I can get that for 50baht/kg any builder's  or agriculture shop will sell it .

We have a lot of goats in the area. they owners  just use bamboo posts ,with old motorcycle inertube on the post as an insulator with the wire just rapped around the post,most seem to use 3 strands of wire ,electric fences work well for goats .

I had to get a Gallagher unit I was running up to 500 meters run the Thai unit was not providing enough of a wack ,my Gallagher I got for 4500 baht ,I put in an earth system 3 steel rods knocked in the ground  6 foot ,works well .

For a  Gallagher fence unit, try PPfence.co,or Yenwa in Bangkok.

• Like 2

The keys to effective fencing are 1) a good earth - 3 connected copper earth rods should be fine, and b) good insulation. If your fence is permanent or you leave it in situ for a long time  keep an eye on vegetation growing up and shorting it out. Get 1 and 2 right, and any fencer will do the job. Get them wrong...

4 hours ago, retsdon said:

The keys to effective fencing are 1) a good earth - 3 connected copper earth rods should be fine, and b) good insulation. If your fence is permanent or you leave it in situ for a long time  keep an eye on vegetation growing up and shorting it out. Get 1 and 2 right, and any fencer will do the job. Get them wrong...

Use two copper earth rods and water them when needed, that makes them effective

While we are talking electric fence, Do any of you have a fence that uses solar power? We were thinking of getting solar out there anyways, Just enough to run some lights and charge phones. The field is about 200 meters from mains power.

15 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

While we are talking electric fence, Do any of you have a fence that uses solar power? We were thinking of getting solar out there anyways, Just enough to run some lights and charge phones. The field is about 200 meters from mains power.

We have solar power el fence unit, and solar powered lights, and if you need power for phones bring powerpack with you. 

https://www.gallagher.eu/en_gb/s20-incl-battery-and-mount-solar-post

• Like 2

The challenge which diminishes over time these days  is the 12v solar powered battery charger. All on Lazada. You don't need much maybe 5W or 10W for a bigger energizer.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 3:56 PM, canuckamuck said:

I thought this might be relevant / interesting.