Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First we hear this:

"Govt threatens extradition, but says safety will be guaranteed ..."

and then this:

"the government would do its best to ensure safety for..."

I'd be staying away if I was him.

This present regime (or government if you like) is seeding seeds that might produce crops they won't like. They fail in whatever they try to do and concentrate just on this one and single family, to avoid to have to answer for their own failings?

In fairness to the present government, it is quiter difficult to run a country when the aforementioned person is spending vast amounts of money both in and outside the country to destabilise you. In fact it may be necessary for a government attacked in such a way to deal with the attacker before they can actually run the country. It may be fair criticism that they didnt deal with him quick enough to statrt with and so created a worse position for them and the country.

Hammered, I agree with you.

The actions of the gov't are shameful. First they say he can't come back, then he can but he shouldn't, then he can, but they can't guarantee his safety, now he must or he will be extradited.

He isn't much different than many hundreds of politicians all over the world who will likely have court cases of one kind or another to deal with for many, many years. These actions should be the responsibility of the court, not the gov't as a whole. Neither the current PM nor the CNS should be very involved or making many comments.

He is an ex-PM and he should be accorded with a certain level of courtesy and respect--even if that's not what he gave to others. He still has a lot of supporters out there and one of the best and easiest ways of keeping them in check is by treating their "leader" firmly, fairly and with courtesy.

An excellent post, noting as you do Thaksin didn't always measure up to the highest standards when in power.There is also in other posts a misconception that Thaksin could be extradited from the UK against his will.A top British QC could easily demonstrate the extradition proceedings were politically motivated.The mass murderer Suchinda remains at large and a favourite of the feudalists which just shows the hypocrisy of the junta.Of course the die hard anti-Thaksinistas always point out the excesses of the drug wars (but always fail to point out that the policy had the support of most Thais from the very top of society to the bottom).

This present regime (or government if you like) is seeding seeds that might produce crops they won't like. They fail in whatever they try to do and concentrate just on this one and single family, to avoid to have to answer for their own failings?

In fairness to the present government, it is quiter difficult to run a country when the aforementioned person is spending vast amounts of money both in and outside the country to destabilise you. In fact it may be necessary for a government attacked in such a way to deal with the attacker before they can actually run the country. It may be fair criticism that they didnt deal with him quick enough to statrt with and so created a worse position for them and the country.

Care to post a list of these vast amounts spent on each of the various "attempts" that have been made to "destabilize" the country? Please don't include Toxins attempted purchase of a football team in England or a home in Singapore as these are just acoutrements of the lifestyle of the rich and famous. Really I can't see how Toxin has spent a vast amount in the way you suggest....actually I doubt he has spent any of his money doing what you have suggested.

Chownah

Care to post a list of these vast amounts spent on each of the various "attempts" that have been made to "destabilize" the country? Please don't include Toxins attempted purchase of a football team in England or a home in Singapore as these are just acoutrements of the lifestyle of the rich and famous. Really I can't see how Toxin has spent a vast amount in the way you suggest....actually I doubt he has spent any of his money doing what you have suggested.

Chownah

Someones money is paying the rentacrowd to rally, a village lady was going crook to the T/W yesterday that her husband should be home getting ready for rice planting instead of being in Bangkok for 200 baht a day to attend the rally.

Chownah

Well outside the country there is the PR firm Botts, whose asessment of Thailand has been disgreed with by the US government who recognioze the political element of the PR companies statements. Then in Thailand it is actually hard to find anyone who deosnt think the PTV rally goers have been paid. In fact just going to my local market before any of these rallies and I can hear what the ever increasing amount being paid is. It is extremely niaive to take the extreme PTV line to think Mr. Thaksin is not spending any money on trying to undermine the current government.

Well then.....these few small get togethers of a few politicaly active demonstrators are indeed being financed by someone....or some group of someones....but why do you think that Toxin is involved in this? Do you think he is the only person of means who is against the military dicatatorship which has taken over the country by force of arms?...do you think he is the only political person who could benefit from these sorts of demonstrations? Paying people to demonstrate is a time honored tradition in Thaland which predates Toxin and will probably live on for quite awhile still so please don't be so naive as to believe that all paid demonstrators are financed by Toxin!!!!

And what "vast amounts" of money do you think it takes to bankroll one of these small demonstrations? If 10,000 people are each paid 200 baht per day for 5 days then the cost for them is 10 million baht.....this might seem like alot of money for you but for alot of politicians this is chicken feed and on a national scheme of things it can hardly be considere to be a "vast amount".

Also, the conjecture was made that Toxin was spending a "vast amount" of money OUTSIDE Thailand to destabilize the military dictatorship in charge......is there any evidence at all of this?...again remember that homes and football teams don't count.

And what is the difference between "supporting democracy" and "destabilizing the military dictatorship"? Seems like anyone interested in appropriate governance would be "supporting democracy" which is an activity which by its vary nature must be at odds with the presence of a military dictatorship to some degree and we all know that military dictatorships don't take criticism well and will do their best to cast the criticisers as the devil herself.

Fact of the matter is that I don't think that any of you know who is financeing the demonstrations or how Toxin is spending his money.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Well then.....these few small get togethers of a few politicaly active demonstrators are indeed being financed by someone....or some group of someones....but why do you think that Toxin is involved in this? Do you think he is the only person of means who is against the military dicatatorship which has taken over the country by force of arms?...do you think he is the only political person who could benefit from these sorts of demonstrations? Paying people to demonstrate is a time honored tradition in Thaland which predates Toxin and will probably live on for quite awhile still so please don't be so naive as to believe that all paid demonstrators are financed by Toxin!!!!

And what "vast amounts" of money do you think it takes to bankroll one of these small demonstrations? If 10,000 people are each paid 200 baht per day for 5 days then the cost for them is 10 million baht.....this might seem like alot of money for you but for alot of politicians this is chicken feed and on a national scheme of things it can hardly be considere to be a "vast amount".

Also, the conjecture was made that Toxin was spending a "vast amount" of money OUTSIDE Thailand to destabilize the military dictatorship in charge......is there any evidence at all of this?...again remember that homes and football teams don't count.

And what is the difference between "supporting democracy" and "destabilizing the military dictatorship"? Seems like anyone interested in appropriate governance would be "supporting democracy" which is an activity which by its vary nature must be at odds with the presence of a military dictatorship to some degree and we all know that military dictatorships don't take criticism well and will do their best to cast the criticisers as the devil herself.

Chownah

Actually the cost of demos is a lot more than the whatever is pauid times the number of demonstrators as organisers have to be paid more. Then there is transprtation. We should also get into the PTV salaried staff. PTV do not have any income as they are not on air and yet monthly salaries are still being paid. Who is doing all the paying? Well considering even TRT supporters and functionaries tell me it is Thaksin I wont beg to differ with them. After all they should know. There is also meant to be a rather large amount of money to be used to defeat the charter and for pro-T candidates to run in the election. If people choose not to believe this that is their prerogative but again as even T supporters believe it I will too.

As for the Botts PR money that seems indisputable.

I have no problem with those demonstrating for democracy but please dont include the well paid PTV functionaries and their paid demonstrators in this group. They are a single issue campaign group whose only aim is the return of Mr. T who so ably undermined democratic prinicples such as due process, human rights including the basic right of life, check and balance bodies and elections.

Chownah

Actually the cost of demos is a lot more than the whatever is pauid times the number of demonstrators as organisers have to be paid more. Then there is transprtation. We should also get into the PTV salaried staff. PTV do not have any income as they are not on air and yet monthly salaries are still being paid. Who is doing all the paying? Well considering even TRT supporters and functionaries tell me it is Thaksin I wont beg to differ with them. After all they should know. There is also meant to be a rather large amount of money to be used to defeat the charter and for pro-T candidates to run in the election. If people choose not to believe this that is their prerogative but again as even T supporters believe it I will too.

I have no problem with those demonstrating for democracy but please dont include the well paid PTV functionaries and their paid demonstrators in this group. They are a single issue campaign group whose only aim is the return of Mr. T who so ably undermined democratic prinicples such as due process, human rights including the basic right of life, check and balance bodies and elections.

Thaksin is perfectly entitled to retain Botts, an eminent US law firm, to protect his interests.As for the US Government position you have confused its distancing from the PR exercise commissioned by pharmaceutical interests against Thailand's recent breach of patent law.However the rabid anti-Thaksinistas probably blame Thaksin for that too. along with poisoning the drinking water.

Chownah

Thaksin is perfectly entitled to retain Botts, an eminent US law firm, to protect his interests.As for the US Government position you have confused its distancing from the PR exercise commissioned by pharmaceutical interests against Thailand's recent breach of patent law.However the rabid anti-Thaksinistas probably blame Thaksin for that too. along with poisoning the drinking water.

The IQ level of this forum continues to fall inexorably.

Mr. Boyce the US ambassador distanced the US government from the Botts/Thaksin call for a boycott of Thailand.I wouldnt dispute Botts are an eminent company but like all lobbyists they are hired to the job of protecting the interests of their client as you state. That does not mean that what they fight for is right. Lobbyisits in the US where they are very much part of the political game are not exactly seen in a good light by most people as they have a reputation for taking money to influence lawamkers to make decisions which are often not in the public interest.

Chownah

The IQ level of this forum continues to fall inexorably.

Mr. Boyce the US ambassador distanced the US government from the Botts/Thaksin call for a boycott of Thailand.I wouldnt dispute Botts are an eminent company but like all lobbyists they are hired to the job of protecting the interests of their client as you state. That does not mean that what they fight for is right. Lobbyisits in the US where they are very much part of the political game are not exactly seen in a good light by most people as they have a reputation for taking money to influence lawamkers to make decisions which are often not in the public interest.

You are still confusing two different things.Ambassador Boyce's comments were in relation to the US campaign against Thailand's alleged breach of drug patents, nothing to do with Thaksin at all who has never called for a boycott of Thailand.

:D:D Welcome home Doc Tox! Can't wait for the press release on Manchester City purchase. :D

This is gonna be interesting. 7 days to go. :D

:bah:

Daddy Tox is dragging his kiddy son and daughter into this again. Or was that a contigency plan?

What happened if they found that Daddy Tox is not a 'fit and proper person' to own a club ?

Will his kiddy son and daughter qualify? :o

Thaksin: No justice from junta

The Financial Times newspaper has interviewed former premier Thaksin Shinawatra about his purchase of Manchester City Football Club.

During the interview, Mr Thaksin said he has no intention of returning to Thaland at the moment, because he cannot receive justice while the military is in power.

The full text of the lengthy interview is at

http://tinyurl.com/yompgz

The Post Publishing Public Co.,

I love it.....the poster who is argueably the most anti-Toxin says his friends who are Toxin supporters think that Toxin is paying for the demonstrations and that is presented as proof the Toxin is footing the bills!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahha

Even so....it is not a "vast amount" of money!!!!! And as nearly as I can tell the demonstrations are being organized to support democracy...so what's wrong with than anyway? hahahahhhaha

i can just see it, Mr Frank N. Sinsere (aka YKW) arrives back and is put under protective custody and enthroned in one of his mansions (not under house arrested like in Burma, different military of course, but their justification was to save their country from destabilising war lords well beyond the capabilities of a fledgling democracy)

no parallels at all (smirk)

Way to go? No way Jose

Political assylum, innaresting, spontaneous civil unrest carefullly choreographed? before his due date for appearance

nice one, but better clear out of the big manghole

Oh what tangled web we weave

when first we perchance to deceive (bit like Microsoft Vista?)

Long Live Leo at 40B a slug

The longer I live, the more I know

The more I know how little I know

and now I know **** ***

answers on a postage stamp pls

Chowna An excellent post in that you brought up the thought of identifying how Thaksin has spent money to destabilize the country. I am sure the Thais have placed this on a very high priority for one very simple reason. That reason is it meets the definition of treason. If that is in any way proven you can expect the Shin deal to look like a pickpocket. I have not looked to see what the punishment in Thailand is for that but I would suspect ceasing to walk the face of the earth is involved.

If you have not caught the translation of Thaksin saying he is too busy to come back to be informed of the charges against him, the loose translation is;

I am above the law, and I am too busy making money.

If the powers that be in Thailand want Mr. T to come back to face charges etc. Why not revoke his travel documents (passport). Can he stay in the UK if said passport is revoked by the Thai government or would they send him home. Just a question that came up in discussion.

Chowna An excellent post in that you brought up the thought of identifying how Thaksin has spent money to destabilize the country. I am sure the Thais have placed this on a very high priority for one very simple reason. That reason is it meets the definition of treason. If that is in any way proven you can expect the Shin deal to look like a pickpocket. I have not looked to see what the punishment in Thailand is for that but I would suspect ceasing to walk the face of the earth is involved.

A pretty good example of treason is sending armed men to overthrow a democratically elected government and then tear up the constitution. You don't get punished for that in Thailand!

A pretty good example of treason is sending armed men to overthrow a democratically elected government and then tear up the constitution. You don't get punished for that in Thailand!

Well there is many ways to say that, but Thaksin did not do that. If he can be linked to the New years eve bombs, along with his attempts to mess with Thailand you can start to put together enough pieces to see why it could be called treason. When he attempts to mess with Thailand by causing economic problems, unrest, and so on, it has a negative effect on everyone who lives in Thailand if they are Thai or not. Much of that has already been proven when he hired a PR company. Putting himself up is one thing, taking another down is another. As I said I would not doubt there is a secret investigation underway and that news would be sprung when Thaksin is back in Thailand.

ummm not if you have the blessing of the head of state ... then it is not treason :o

PM urges Thaksin to return for court battle

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont called on ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand to defend himself against corruption charges, insisting that the government is ready to take care of his safety.

Gen Surayud, in a television interview broadcasted on Saturday morning, said it is better that Mr Thaksin return to defend the charges than to rouse his supporters.

The Post Publishing Public Co

I really doubt that any nation would honor the junta's demands for extradition. They aren't a legally recognized democracy and most western aligned nations have made that clear by now. Besides, if Thaksin did return that would be an extremely stupid move. The junta's policies seems to change every day and it's likely that it'd be easier to get Thaksin whacked than to have him around as a political martyr for the people.

ummm not if you have the blessing of the head of state ... then it is not treason :o

It depends what you mean but let's talk hypothetically.If there was a military coup in England and the monarch endorsed the fait accompli that would simply be fulfilling a constitutional responsibility.It would not necessarily imply a personal approval, far less a royal blessing.It would certainly not be an impediment for a subsequent democratic government to put the traitorous generals on trial even if they had awarded themselves an amnesty.

I really doubt that any nation would honor the junta's demands for extradition. They aren't a legally recognized democracy and most western aligned nations have made that clear by now. Besides, if Thaksin did return that would be an extremely stupid move. The junta's policies seems to change every day and it's likely that it'd be easier to get Thaksin whacked than to have him around as a political martyr for the people.

I agree that it would be very stupid if Thaksin was forced to return, CNS went so far to keep him out as to raise concerns of Thaksins security if he came back, I am sure that the message from the court that wanted him back was not well received in the CNS, the least smart thing they could do was to force him back with him being painted into a corner with no way out but to try to overthrow the CNS to save himself and his money, I mean what would any off you do if you where facing 25 years to life in a Thai prison with no way out, and you had the means to put up a fight?.

Thaksins and TRT's only hope, and the CNS's only way out is a, not to slow(as not to give time for the TRT people to make a new powerful party), return to democracy, where an amnesty would be given to all by the new government, this would save the face of the generals who have themselves broken the law, it would hinder any of all this to be tried by a truly independent court , the risk that the court would somehow find the previous verdicts illegal would be devastating for a new government and trigger new unrest, a negotiated amnesty for all, would stop that from happening. Thailand could get back to buiesnes as usual.

So there you have it, my private bet on the outcome of all this mess.

Kind regards :o

Edited by larvidchr

I agree that it would be very stupid if Thaksin was forced to return, CNS went so far to keep him out as to raise concerns of Thaksins security if he came back, I am sure that the message from the court that wanted him back was not well recived in the CNS, the least smart thing they could do was to force him back with him being painted into a corner with no way out but to try to overthrow the CNS to save himself and his money, I mean what would any off you do if you where facing 25 years to life in a Thai prison with no way out, and you had the means to put up a fight?.

Thaksins and TRT's only hope, and the CNS's only way out is a, not to slow(as not to give time for the TRT people to make a new powerfull party), return to democracy, where an amnesti would be given to all by the new government, this would save the face of the generals who have themselves broken the law, it would hinder any of all this to be tried by a truely independent court , the risk that the court would somehow find the previous verdicts illigal would be devastating for a new government and trigger new unrest, a negotiated amnesti for all, would stop that from happening. Thailand could get back to buiesness as usual.

So there you have it, my private bet on the outcome of all this mess.

Kind regards :o

I agree that a double amnesty will almost be the best way out for the generals and the ex-TRT execs, and that it will not happen until after elections and a new government.