Looking for Farm land lease - 25+ Rai in Isaan

I would like to know of farm land available for long term lease in the Khon Kaen, Roi Et, and Mukdahan provinces. Saraburi and Korat are good alternatives. Preferably, we are looking for 25 plus rai to include a water source for fruit trees. 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Better let a professional check your business model.

Don't ask me why I write this, a long time ago I was proud owner of two ponds and a fish farm... 

Thanks for the advice. Got it done  a little while back to include contingency plans as well.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

If not plan to live on the field, or close by, have no family relatins close, theft is a problem of new planted trees and also fruits. 

What is your plan with 25 rai? Make money? 

We plan to live in or near the property. We plan to earn income over time. We will have help securing the property as well.

4 hours ago, kman2350 said:

We plan to live in or near the property. We plan to earn income over time. We will have help securing the property as well.

What do you expect to pay per rai for the lease? 

What is the expected term of the lease? 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What do you expect to pay per rai for the lease? 

What is the expected term of the lease? 

It is my understanding that the going rate for farmland with a water source is around a 1000 baht/rai/year. If the land is suitable for fruit trees, I expect to get long term lease (minimum 10 years, preferably 30) with an option to extend.

1 minute ago, kman2350 said:

It is my understanding that the going rate for farmland with a water source is around a 1000 baht/rai/year. If the land is suitable for fruit trees, I expect to get long term lease (minimum 10 years, preferably 30) with an option to extend.

What kind of fruit?  

3 minutes ago, kman2350 said:

Avocado. Several cultivars.

Good choice if you are well capitalized, they still command a good price here.  

You're looking for hillside? 

You might want to stick to 30 years. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Good choice if you are well capitalized, they still command a good price here.  

You're looking for hillside? 

You might want to stick to 30 years. 

Hillside would be great if the gradient is under 40 degrees.

36 minutes ago, kman2350 said:

A few obstacles but you may get lucky.

I doubt you would pick up chanote land at 1000/rai.

Any lesser title at 1000 would be off a beaten track with no water supply.

Most i know who lease out their land would do it for 5 years but not ten fearing the squatters right after ten.

If you dangled a carrot of 2-2500/rai you might find something decent.

The other thing is if a weather event came through and damaged your crop there would be no local compensation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You better make sure you have endless supplies of water then.

Yes. They love water but hate drowning in it. Soil with good drainage fits the bill - i.e. hillside, raised beds, etc.

13 minutes ago, kman2350 said:

Correct. That is the maximum gradient I'm willing to take with drip irrigation.

I have seen they use pvc pipe 40 cm in the dirt of the back of it, and surface drip system on top when growing avacado in steep hills. And my best guess it was 30 degrees but still steep. 

15679995-BEB7-4125-A86F-53F2B46491D4.jpeg

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

A few obstacles but you may get lucky.

I doubt you would pick up chanote land at 1000/rai.

Any lesser title at 1000 would be off a beaten track with no water supply.

Most i know who lease out their land would do it for 5 years but not ten fearing the squatters right after ten.

If you dangled a carrot of 2-2500/rai you might find something decent.

The other thing is if a weather event came through and damaged your crop there would be no local compensation.

Weather events are to be expected. One of my goals is to mitigate risks against wind and flood damage.

The 2-2500/rai is doable if I can get a long term deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kman2350 said:

Weather events are to be expected. One of my goals is to mitigate risks against wind and flood damage.

The 2-2500/rai is doable if I can get a long term deal.

I hope you keep us posted, it would be very interesting to follow the progress. I looked in to it 3 years ago, but for us not possible. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2022 at 2:16 PM, Hummin said:

I hope you keep us posted, it would be very interesting to follow the progress. I looked in to it 3 years ago, but for us not possible. 

Here is an update on leasing land. We were able to get 30 Rai at 1500 baht per Rai for 8 years in Phetchabun. Starting farm ops in November this year. 

8 minutes ago, kman2350 said:

Here is an update on leasing land. We were able to get 30 Rai at 1500 baht per Rai for 8 years in Phetchabun. Starting farm ops in November this year. 

Great choice, I love Phetchabun. Would be nice if you could describe you legal contract in more details, 8 years do not sound especially long, if not the farm already have water supply, boreholes and infrastructure.  

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Great choice, I love Phetchabun. Would be nice if you could describe you legal contract in more details, 8 years do not sound especially long, if not the farm already have water supply, boreholes and infrastructure.  

The contract allows for boreholes and permanent infrastructure. The location includes a small pond between two hill tops. As for contract length, there is an option to add more Rai after the second year. 

Talked with other farmers in the area before signing. To keep it short, we got a great location with some nice neighbors. 

6 minutes ago, kman2350 said:

The contract allows for boreholes and permanent infrastructure. The location includes a small pond between two hill tops. As for contract length, there is an option to add more Rai after the second year. 

Talked with other farmers in the area before signing. To keep it short, we got a great location with some nice neighbors. 

Would be nice if we could drop by when possible to have a look. My parents in law planted a few now at our land while I have been gone, and seems like the interest of avocado now start to pick up in our region as well. We are located on the border to Phetchabun Chaiyaphum side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Would be nice if we could drop by when possible to have a look. My parents in law planted a few now at our land while I have been gone, and seems like the interest of avocado now start to pick up in our region as well. We are located on the border to Phetchabun Chaiyaphum side. 

Sounds good. Looking forward to a visit once we start operations. 

The interest in Avocado is on the rise. 

• Like 1