The Thai Family Tree

jwest10

Hi and have tried to google and see some sites about this.
As an interest I know what Mum and Dad and Grandparents are called in Thai 

I have tried this question but anyone who can help would appreciate it.
My Thai wife's Son has married in the last half year to his Thai wife and his wife is my wife's Daughter-in- law ?
And me as a Westerner is it the same ?
Also the younger sister of her son's wife is my Niece or cousin or what is it please?
Thanks and have been trying googling for quite sometime
Many thanks and like in the Western world we can love someone as a special friend also and like brothers and sisters of course.

Yes a bit of a strange one and sometimes one might want to know why do you want to know.
Though when I taught this game up ie  The Family Tree.

54 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

his wife is my wife's Daughter-in- law ?
And me as a Westerner is it the same ?

I don't think you can become your wife's daughter in law, unless maybe w/surgery...

56 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Also the younger sister of her son's wife is my Niece or cousin or what is it please?

Laan - would be the Thai word that encompasses many people

57 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

we can love someone as a special friend also and like brothers and sisters of course.

The brother/sister relationship comes a little later for many - I would guess 7 years is a possible transition point

• Like 2

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Joking apart my wife refers to them all as uncles and aunts.

It seems to encompass about half the village.

Thanks and indeed and yes one can love your own family and other families and well some extended ones never after cheating out of money but it happens everywhere!!!

12 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Joking apart my wife refers to them all as uncles and aunts.

It seems to encompass about half the village.

Yes....same here.....funnily enough she explained only yesterday....anyone they have known growing up as a kid, who is older, is an aunty or uncle......and anyone of a similar age is a cousin..........not quite the same meaning as in parts of Middlesbrough....555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Yes....same here.....funnily enough she explained only yesterday....anyone they have known growing up as a kid, who is older, is an aunty or uncle......and anyone of a similar age is a cousin..........not quite the same meaning as in parts of Middlesbrough....555

Yes, was wondering about younger sister married to our son in law and must be my niece and yeah known her for a while but knew her sister for several years.

After 10+ years China now 6+ Thailand I gave up trying to teach uncle , aunties etc. Sometimes wife 

will say she and it’s a he…. Just wait to see what shows up and sort it out myself.. 555

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

After 10+ years China now 6+ Thailand I gave up trying to teach uncle , aunties etc. Sometimes wife 

will say she and it’s a he…. Just wait to see what shows up and sort it out myself.. 555

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Dj 54 and others

Yes families etc can be very confusing and it appears and wondered why could not find my answer but a bit surprised no relationship status with this but someone will prove me wrong.
Thanks all