Locals on southern islands call for a brake on ferry increases as Thailand welcomes back foreign tourists

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Just when the Royal Thai Police were preparing to welcome back foreign tourists with smiles on their faces and open arms - the private sector was getting ready to gouge them for the privilege of coming to Thailand, notes ASEAN NOW.

Seatran and Raja ferry have just announced fares increases across the board for their services from Don Sak on the mainland to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan islands. 

The increased fares - some over 25% - are coming in on July 1st.

The very "D-Day" when the PM and the police are saying welcome back with a big smile on their faces as regulations are eased. 

It's that famous Thai smile accompanied by relieving tourists of a little more of their hard earned cash.

The ferry companies say its because of the rocketing price of fuel. There's no denying that.

But locals on the islands are furious and have presented a letter to district chief Chayaphol Intharasupha to put a brake on the fare rises to help the economy get back on its feet - they feel they have suffered enough in the pandemic. 

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Seatran and Raja plan to raise the price of foot passengers for return trips to Samui from 150 to 170 baht. Motorcycles will go up from 200-230 baht and cars 470-550 baht.

To Koh Phangan foot passengers would pay 300 instead of 220 baht - an increase of more than a third.

Cars are going up from 620 to 730 baht. 

Other increases are commensurate, reported Siam Rath

Chayaphol promised to take the letter of complaint to the Surat Thani authorities for consideration. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

24 minutes ago, dirtybirty said:

make bangkok airways play ball aswell. yes i know they own samui airport but there prices to the island are a complete con

I just had a quick look for a return trip BKK to USM in July and prices are cheaper than pre Covid prices.

Mind you, I am sure that prices will go up with demand.

Just took this trip there and back last weekend. While I was sitting on the ferry with about 20 other folks, and my car sat below in a less-than-full vehicle deck, I wondered outloud to my wife, "how can they be making ANY money doing this".

Fare increases do not seem like gouging to me, it seems like they are needed to keep the ferries running.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t complain if the Ships were of a high standard but they are rust buckets I doubt that they would pass a European sea worthy test let’s not forget it’s less than 2 years sine one if the Raja ferries sank with the loss of life these companies need to invest in new vessels and I haven’t even mentioned the pollution they cause from the thick black smoke that bellows out of them   

Unfortunately, the frequent traveler membership discount cards were no longer renewed at Raja Ferrys. Also, Raja Ferry appears to have too many administrative staff. The organizational processes are also overcomplicated. Mismanagement costs are also passed on to consumers.

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I wouldn’t complain if the Ships were of a high standard but they are rust buckets I doubt that they would pass a European sea worthy test let’s not forget it’s less than 2 years sine one if the Raja ferries sank with the loss of life these companies need to invest in new vessels and I haven’t even mentioned the pollution they cause from the thick black smoke that bellows out of them   

If you are looking for Euro-quality ferries you should be looking in Europe... Why do you want Thailand to be like home? Ahhh right - you want cheap, carefree, boozy, girly lifestyle here but with all the safety and comforts of home. Oi vey!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like prices are higher than these reported in the OP - foot passenger tickets Donsak to Nathon is now 190 baht, car with driver 610 baht. As far as I remember the car with driver prices were around 450 baht year ago.

Bangkok Airways are back to their usual practices charging between 4-5k baht one way Samui to Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Looks like prices are higher than these reported in the OP - foot passenger tickets Donsak to Nathon is now 190 baht, car with driver 610 baht. As far as I remember the car with driver prices were around 450 baht year ago.

Bangkok Airways are back to their usual practices charging between 4-5k baht one way Samui to Bangkok.

True. Car from / to Koh Phangan, oneway with Raja Ferry is now 900 Baht from 620 Baht. That's a price increase of 45%