Convert Tourist Visa to Marriage Visa in Country?

Hello,

I've unfortunately allowed the 400,000 THB in my bank account fall below by a couple thousand bath, a week before I was planning to do my marriage extension.

Immigration in Ratchaburi offered me three solutions:

#1) Overstay for 90 days and pay 500 thb * 90 and then return and they will process my marriage visa once I pay the overstay fine.

#2) I can leave the country and then return with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry. And then attempt to convert it in 90 days to marriage visa.

I am preferring option two.

My question is can I convert a tourist visa to a marriage visa in approximately 80 days once my 400,000 has been seasoned, inside the country at Ratchaburi immigration? What countries are the easiest to fly to considering COVID regulations and the fact I carry a Canadian passport?

Note I've been using marriage visa extensions for 5+ years without issue until this stupid mistake on my part.

Thanks very much

Hello, 

I've unfortunately allowed the 400,000 THB in my bank account fall below by a couple thousand bath, a week before I was planning to do my marriage extension. 

Immigration in Ratchaburi offered me three solutions:

#1) Overstay for 90 days and pay 500 thb * 90 and then return and they will process my marriage visa once I pay the overstay fine. 

#2) I can leave the country and then return with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry. And then attempt to convert it in 90 days to marriage visa. 

I am preferring option two.

Edited by Syke1911

Have you ever applied for a 60 day extension to visit your wife since your last entered the country with a visa (not a re-entry permit). The 60 day extension would be enough time to have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

If you cannot apply for the 60 day extension your best option would be get a new non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate. Savannakhet or Vientiane would be a good choice to apply for the non-o visa.

50 minutes ago, Syke1911 said:

#1) Overstay for 90 days and pay 500 thb * 90 and then return and they will process my marriage visa once I pay the overstay fine

Had to read that 3 times.

Crazy idea. Forget it. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you ever applied for a 60 day extension to visit your wife since your last entered the country with a visa (not a re-entry permit). The 60 day extension would be enough time to have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

If you cannot apply for the 60 day extension your best option would be get a new non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate. Savannakhet or Vientiane would be a good choice to apply for the non-o visa.

Hi thanks for that info.

Would HCMC also work for such purposes?

Also the requirements needed for marriage visa at HCMC? Also any COVID restrictions?

Thank you sir.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Had to read that 3 times.

Crazy idea. Forget it. 

Due to a screw up on my part I went into overstay on my marriage visa. This was in Korat. They first gave me the visitation visa and then converted after 60 days.

Has anyone gone to Savannakhet recently and got a non-o marriage visa without Thai bank statements? I would like to come back after weathering covid in the UK. The pre-covid visa regime in Savannakhet was the most relaxed I ever encountered.

11 hours ago, Syke1911 said:

Hi thanks for that info.

Would HCMC also work for such purposes?

Also the requirements needed for marriage visa at HCMC? Also any COVID restrictions?

What about the 60 day extension to visit your wife asked you about and suggested?

I have seen no reports for HCMC yet. I am sure they will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

This is shown on the this website for Vietnam when clicking on it. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.df8260353283e76008763ad61b282b96.png

But dependent upon on your nationality you may need to apply for a visa.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What about the 60 day extension to visit your wife asked you about and suggested?

I have seen no reports for HCMC yet. I am sure they will issue a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

This is shown on the this website for Vietnam when clicking on it. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.df8260353283e76008763ad61b282b96.png

But dependent upon on your nationality you may need to apply for a visa.

Hey Joe,

My Immigration office won't allow it... they are pushing for an 'alternative arrangement' where they fix things.

Can I relatively easily attempt the process to get a 60 day extension for visiting family at an office in a different province?

Otherwise, would you adivse to get anon-visa based on marriage in HCMC, and then I could go for 90 day visa runs to Kanchaburi?

12 hours ago, Syke1911 said:

Can I relatively easily attempt the process to get a 60 day extension for visiting family at an office in a different province?

You would have to change your address to the other province to do the application by having a TM30 report submitted.

12 hours ago, Syke1911 said:

Otherwise, would you adivse to get anon-visa based on marriage in HCMC, and then I could go for 90 day visa runs to Kanchaburi?

I think I would go to the consulate Savannakhet for the multiple entry non-o visa where we already have confirmation that they are issuing them.

Not sure about doing border hops at Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi at this time.