Enough transfer in a year for retirement visa, but one month blank

Age 62    Wife for following visa,  32   Nationality Belgian     Wife Philippine

I have a complicated matter concerning extension of retirement visa, and with this also the follower visa of my wife.

To be short. We arrived before covid. My wife, to whom I was not married to, at the time, went to Philippines to take care of her dying father, when 15 days later the country closed. I was on multiple entry visa at the time, and exploring the possibility to install in Thailand. To not take the risk to have the obligation to leave the country, a visa office arrange retirement visa, that was also done by an agency.

My wife came back in January 2021, after being separated for almost a year. We married in October last year. Immigration allowed exceptionally at that time a following visa due to covid (normally you have to ask this at an embassy outside Thailand).

But now our visa has to be extended before 25 th July.  I am tired to pay fortunes at visa offices, they are very, very expensive. So I thought I would be fine myself, as I transferred a few million baht to my account, the last year (bought a condo). But I went a month to Europe with my wife (yes we thought about re - entry permit), but not did a transfer that month.

That is the problem with sometimes strange rules. I can proof, I have enough to live on in Thailand, with all the transfers I done, but omitting one month to put money on the account, is probably going to screw me.  I also have a statement of the firm, I invested my money in, that they give me an allowance of 3000 € a month as income. But one month not thinking about the transfer is going to give me problems, I am sure.

I could use a second possibility. I have over 800.000 for 3 months on my account. Great you would say that is your solution!   Only that if for extension, I should have proof I let it on the account, 3 months after the extension last year. 

If someone sees another solution then paying over and over again big amounts of money to an agency, all advice welcome. For next year I will make automatic transfer every month, but now I am lost.

You could go to immigration now and try to get your extension based on having the 800K in the bank.  You only need for 2 months prior, then 3 months after.  If they have a problem with you doing it that way then you probably need to get an agent again for this extension.  Then make sure everything is correct for next year.  That's why I say go now to give yourself time if they deny it.  Also the rest of the year you need to keep at least 400K in the bank.

I have never used an agent.  So I don't have any experience with that.  There most likely will be others with more experience than me reguarding that.

• Like 2

Which is your local immigration office? Others on here who obtain retirement extensions at that office may be able to provide you with advice on what might be possible in your case based on their experiences.

EDIT: Just seen your other recent thread which states that your local office is Jomtien. So @Jingthingand other Jomtien retirees, what are his prospects in your view?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Yes Jomtiem. it is stupid. I have enough to provide, did every month since obtaining visa, far over 65.000 bht transfer. have 880.000 on top of that in other bankaccount. And yet got to start from scratch again, because one  month was deposited too late, being in Europe. 

28 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Which is your local immigration office? Others on here who obtain retirement extensions at that office may be able to provide you with advice on what might be possible in your case based on their experiences.

EDIT: Just seen your other recent thread which states that your local office is Jomtien. So @Jingthingand other Jomtien retirees, what are his prospects in your view?

I really don't know in such a case. Plus the married to a non Thai part.

Punt to Ubon Joe.

All I could think of is leave Thailand and start over with a conversion of entry stamp to O visa and then retirement extension.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I really don't know in such a case. Plus the married to a non Thai part.

Punt to Ubon Joe.

All I could think of is leave Thailand and start over with a conversion of entry stamp to O visa and then retirement extension.

I agree with this idea. Leave Thailand and apply for a visa locally, return and start new.

If you have 800K in the bank you dont need to show monthly transfers. 

Unbon Joe should be around shortly for the best advise!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

advice on what might be possible in your case based on their experiences.

I have enough experience with agents, specifically agents in Pattaya. Don't know anything about agents in Nakon Nowhere. If OP wants to know the benefits of using agents for a meagre 15K per month, I can list them. 

On 6/25/2022 at 10:48 PM, Onerak said:

I have enough experience with agents, specifically agents in Pattaya. Don't know anything about agents in Nakon Nowhere. If OP wants to know the benefits of using agents for a meagre 15K per month, I can list them. 

I know these agents, and their prices. Last time I had problems coming back to Thailand, with their work....

But can you tell me, in case of 800.000 on the account, how many months bank statements they need? that no one could tell me....

The issue may be on what basis that "agency" extended your stay.  If on basis of income suspect 800k in bank would work - but if (as believe most agency extensions are) based on a bank account balance suspect you will need to use agency again, and make sure you keep funds in account this year if you want to DIY next year.  Your wife makes it more of an issue and suspect depart/visa/return would cost more than using agent again.

The Jomtien desk for retirement extensions is usually quite reasonable, but the rules as written must be followed (unless using an agent). Simplest, assuming it is possible which I think it is, would be to get an income letter from the Belgian embassy. Someone else, I note, has already suggested this.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 5:23 PM, indieke said:

Yes Jomtiem. it is stupid. I have enough to provide, did every month since obtaining visa, far over 65.000 bht transfer. have 880.000 on top of that in other bankaccount. And yet got to start from scratch again, because one  month was deposited too late, being in Europe. 

ser, it's not Jomtien that is stupid...

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

ser, it's not Jomtien that is stupid...

I said I go to Jomtien immigration, not that they are stupid. it is stupid that one transfer arrived in beginning of April in stead of end of March....

7 minutes ago, indieke said:

I said I go to Jomtien immigration, not that they are stupid. it is stupid that one transfer arrived in beginning of April in stead of end of March....

same diff. you didn't leave enough leeway. just use an agent, only B12,500. that's sweet Fanny Adams if you're pulling down 3k Europonzi dollars per month.

Unfortunately I was in a similar situation as you over twelve months ago.

I use the income method for a retirement extension with the transfers being made towards the end of each month.

Unfortunately due to a banking problem one payment was delayed by a day or two into the next month.

Although the annual amount far exceeded what is needed I couldn’t show twelve monthly payments ( that is one each month) which Chiang Mai Immigration showing me the regulations insisted was needed.

There was no flexibility but was easily fixed by the methods suggested by others in this thread.

I have now changed the

monthly payment date to the middle of each month.

On 6/25/2022 at 5:23 PM, indieke said:

If you have had 800k  continuously in the bank for the past year you have no problem. Just show that and forget the monthly transfer.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, indieke said:

I know these agents, and their prices. Last time I had problems coming back to Thailand, with their work....

But can you tell me, in case of 800.000 on the account, how many months bank statements they need? that no one could tell me....

Get a one year statement. How long have you had that balance? You were supposed to keep 800  k balance for 3 months after getting the extension, then not less than 400k for 7 months then 800 k for 2 months before next extension. If you meet that requirement then you have no problem.

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Unfortunately I was in a similar situation as you over twelve months ago.

I use the income method for a retirement extension with the transfers being made towards the end of each month.

Unfortunately due to a banking problem one payment was delayed by a day or two into the next month.

Although the annual amount far exceeded what is needed I couldn’t show twelve monthly payments ( that is one each month) which Chiang Mai Immigration showing me the regulations insisted was needed.

There was no flexibility but was easily fixed by the methods suggested by others in this thread.

I have now changed the

monthly payment date to the middle of each month.

Same happened to me.Changed bank for direct deposit was delayed because it can take up to 2 months for US Social Security to make update. Missed a month and had 2 direct deposits payments the next month. UT understood but denied as rules are every month.

• 2 weeks later...