Cost to import luxury cars in Thailand?

If one were to import a luxury car like a Lamborghini Huracan, what would the taxes be? I see some sites say 80% and some say 300%, is it different for importation for resale or as a personal vehicle?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wordchild said:

I did this many years ago (c 2009) , (ie bringing a car i had previously  owned in the UK with me when i relocated to work in Thailand). I also know of others who did the same around that time.  I have posted about this before on this forum. 

my experience was ok and things worked as expected, BUT , i had a well connected person help me out.

I would really really suggest not  attempting this in the current environment because;

1) the various duties and the applicable multipliers would mean the all-in cost would be considerable. eg think 300 to 400% over the UK price  and ,

2) Most of the loopholes have now been closed and enforcement has been significantly upgraded. 

Avoid the stress and buy in Thailand!

Aren't the prices inflated around 300% already in Thailand though?

So it doesn't matter if it's a resale vehicle vs personal vehicle, both subject to 300% taxes? 

5 hours ago, dj230 said:

If one were to import a luxury car like a Lamborghini Huracan, what would the taxes be? I see some sites say 80% and some say 300%, is it different for importation for resale or as a personal vehicle?

If it were 80% the luxury cars would probably be sold cheaper than they are now.

Afaik it's 300%, which makes sense looking at the prices.

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

avenue to import used vehicle as personal effect or any used vehicle at all is closed since 2019

I doubt for new vehicles that you can beat the many grey market importers with existing contacts and legwork that already bring in all kinds of exotic vehicles

also while the import tax is 80%, other costs such as excise tax, shipping and handling clearing customs plus the margin for the importers makes it around 200-300% effectively

that’s unfortunate, is there a way to import into a neighbouring country and drive it in? 

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

that’s unfortunate, is there a way to import into a neighbouring country and drive it in? 

yes, but only for no more than a month at a time, and no more than 60 days total in a year, bud judging by the amount of Laos and Cambodian plated cars at border town coming in for shopping, they probably don't enforce the limit too closely.  but keeping a Lamborghini in Bangkok on Cambodian plate to skirt the import tax might

3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

yes, but only for no more than a month at a time, and no more than 60 days total in a year, bud judging by the amount of Laos and Cambodian plated cars at border town coming in for shopping, they probably don't enforce the limit too closely.  but keeping a Lamborghini in Bangkok on Cambodian plate to skirt the import tax might

There was a black RR with Laos plates at Macro Udon Thani on the 2nd June. We see lots of nice expensive Laos plated cars up here  but the RR certainly has beaten that.