Underground cables.

Gandtee

I buried my electricity supply from the meter on the road to the house. This was over thirty years ago. I know roughly where it is. In hindsight I should have made a location map. Does the Thai Electric supply company have an outside cable location service? I'm reluctant to buy a detector for a half hours use. Or is there an easy way to detect cables without digging? 

I'm not aware that PEA/MEA have such a service, but I expect they'd be able to point you towards a contractor who could locate it if you visit your local office.

Why do you need to find it?

If it's failed or you need to upgrade just dig another trench and lay a new cable ????  

Is it direct-buried or in conduit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

If it's failed or you need to upgrade just dig another trench and lay a new cable ????  

All our cables / Water are directly alongside our wall and I told everyone that they are able to dig anywhere but NOT approx 50cm from all the walls on the property.

Everyone understood.

But a couple days later my ..... BIL hit the HDPE conduit when doing digging. Fortunately he didn't hit the electric cable (25mm2 NYY) coming from the PEA Meter to the house!!

On asking, why he dug there? He said ooh I forgot ????

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm not aware that PEA/MEA have such a service, but I expect they'd be able to point you towards a contractor who could locate it if you visit your local office.

Why do you need to find it?

Is it direct-buried or in conduit?

In a conduit. I'm concerned that it might get damaged when planting trees. Thanks for the advice.

9 hours ago, Gandtee said:

In a conduit. I'm concerned that it might get damaged when planting trees. Thanks for the advice.

It probably runs in a straight line between where it goes in and where it comes up (I know, TiT), which is probably close enough for your planting operations.

In conduit and knowing there's a cable "somewhere near" hand digging should be OK, but I wouldn't be putting trees that need big holes near the cable run anyway.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 9:30 PM, 3NUMBAS said:

in uk they lay a plastic tape on top of the cable when they bury it so you get a hint whats coming lower down.tut  tut

but depending how deep it is a metal detector willl pick it up 

There are also countries where they lay bricks or other cheap plates on top of the cables. 

• 2 weeks later...