New Radio Station 105fm

wcr

I have done a search and can't find anyone posting about this subject. So apologies if you already have.

However, if you weren't aware PCN have launched a new radio stn in Pattaya. It is on 24 hours a day, has no dj's and plays decent music (for me anyway), and is far better than 103fm IMO.

I wish Howard luck in this new venture. We certainly could do with a decent local radio channel in this town.

I have done a search and can't find anyone posting about this subject. So apologies if you already have.

However, if you weren't aware PCN have launched a new radio stn in Pattaya. It is on 24 hours a day, has no dj's and plays decent music (for me anyway), and is far better than 103fm IMO.

I wish Howard luck in this new venture. We certainly could do with a decent local radio channel in this town.

Yes it's a breath of freshair---24 hrs of good listening--great for the car.

I thought about posting details on my new station here about a month ago but I am sure it would have broken a multitude of forum rules so you can appreciate my relief that, thanks to WCR, I am able to speak to the TV boardies about my new little venture.

Many of you will know that I did a one year stint on Metropolis 107FM in Bangkok. I had a great time but, in my opinion, the station was lacking something. I knew in my heart, the format the station should have adopted but never gave over my opinions to the "powers that be" because quiet frankly they were a bunch of idiots that didn't have a clue what they were doing (that excludes the English Station Manager if he happens to be reading this!!!!). So I came back to Pattaya and was frankly missing the whole radio thing. I wanted to start my own station in Pattaya. I knew how to do it but had no frequency and limited funds to start it up. I decided on the name straight away. It was always going to be PCN FM, to carry on the brand awareness I have with PCN TV. But how would I get a frequency and a decent one that people could remember? Well, I waited and waited and finally 105FM became available. By this time the money was in place to start up.

I am aware that two other radio stations in Pattaya play international music and one even has foreign DJ's but I knew I could do better so I began to accumulate the music (legally of course) and build the station sound. 6 months of off-air testing finally produced the sound currently heard on 105. Without blowing my own trumpet I think it is what we call in the industry as a "Tight" sounding station playing "Safe" music. I decided on a policy of classic hits and the best of todays music. Keeping it as commercial hits allows listeners to recognise the majority of the songs which is what I wanted. For me, if I hear obscure album tracks on radio I switch channels.

When I first started the TV I wanted to "revolutionize" local English Language TV, whether I did that is not for me to say but that word remains in my head and I wanted to do the same for radio, that is why we are the ONLY radio station in THAILAND to be broadcasting in Digital Surround Sound Stereo. Don't take my word for it...listen using a pair of headphones and you will feel as if you are in the recording studio with the singer/band!!!!!

So why no DJ's?

My work permit states that I am permitted to broadcast on radio from my current business address. Would you like to hear me 24 hours a day....I dont think so!!!!

I could man the station with "volunteers", however that would leave me with a similar sounding output to 103FM which I didn't want.

I could employ professional DJ's.....no way...costs too much.

So this left me with the non-stop music format which I think is OK and may change in the future depending on the success of the station.

In the future I will be adding short news segments provided by the TV but not yet. I will also add short community information segments to give the station some relevance.

So who am I appealing to...well..you might not believe this, but most of the feedback I have got so far is from Thai's. It appears that many are listening and enjoying music they may have never heard here in Pattaya before.....I was amazed by this. I know that many expats are listening as well. I am really happy that both sections of the Pattaya Community are listening.

If you have any feedback for me please email me . Please don't send me abusive emails, only constructive comments please.

I hope that if you are in Pattaya you tune in and if you are coming to Pattaya I hope that you have an opportunity to listen. Oh, by the way....I will be streaming the station soon as well which will run off the PCN website.

Thanks for reading this essay.

Howard

PCN TV and FM 105