Why do people move to Thailand and Complain How Much Things Cost?

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I would complain in US as much then, in Europe the average would cost 4 dollars, while its easily 30 dollars in Thailand. Anyway, it's called import.

And wine farmers are heavily  subsided in EU, 

For decades, the European wine industry has received generous subsidies over EU's agricultural policy, which constitutes nearly 40% of the Union's total budget. The aim of this policy has been to support farmers' livelihood and sustainable rural development

https://www.eurocare.org/cares.php?sp=trade-policies&ssp=europe-s-billion-euro-wine-spillage#:~:text=For decades%2C the European wine,livelihood and sustainable rural development.

11 hours ago, timendres said:

25 years actually ^_^

I have the same problem when my sons tell me about prices they pay in the US.

I say "That is absurdly expensive".

Then they remind me that I have not seen US prices for over 12 years.

The price of an average car is now more than I paid for my first house!

Oh, I thought the US was land of the free.......????

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:
53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Posting about something on a forum is different than moaning about it all day long in person

Well that's ok as long as you mean the 'occasional' posting on a forum.

It a forum, people post as and when they like. 

If there is an article about a child getting mauled by a dog, quite rightly the thread will be full of people complaining about stray dogs and how many here don’t look after their pets. 

... then there is the teacher cutting the kids hair, or a high-so killing someone while driving drunk, or the pickup driver skidding off the road, or the bus going down a ravine etc... 

.... There are so very many examples where observations can only be negative because there really isn’t anything positive about such scenarios to be discussed - they are major problems which need addressing and because we (many posters care) we have opinions....

If we didn’t care and didn’t have an opinion when negative things happen it could be argued we don’t care about our adopted home country.... which is clearly wrong for many of us, we do care, we care so much and want to see improvement. 

So... it could be argued that those who never complain don’t do so because they care so little they don’t have an opinion. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So... it could be argued that those who never complain don’t do so because they care so little they don’t have an opinion. 

And it could also be argued that those who seldom complain do so because -- as my onetime boss used to put it -- it is like pushing the back end of a wet piece of spaghetti.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It a forum, people post as and when they like. 

If there is an article about a child getting mauled by a dog, quite rightly the thread will be full of people complaining about stray dogs and how many here don’t look after their pets. 

... then there is the teacher cutting the kids hair, or a high-so killing someone while driving drunk, or the pickup driver skidding off the road, or the bus going down a ravine etc... 

.... There are so very many examples where observations can only be negative because there really isn’t anything positive about such scenarios to be discussed - they are major problems which need addressing and because we (many posters care) we have opinions....

If we didn’t care and didn’t have an opinion when negative things happen it could be argued we don’t care about our adopted home country.... which is clearly wrong for many of us, we do care, we care so much and want to see improvement. 

Most of what you said is true, but let's be honest about it...........

"Bad" stories are so much more fun to talk about than "good" stories!

"Good" stories can bring a tear to the eye or a chuckle............. and then you move on.

"Bad" stories can get the juices flowing............. and keep them flowing for quite a long time!

Newspapers and TV News broadcasts figured this out a long time ago. Bad news sells. Bad news keeps people tuned in.

And when they DO tell a "good"  story, a "happy" story? I'm convinced they do it only to try to prove they aren't COMPLETELY cold-hearted, COMPLETELY callous. Only MOSTLY! lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

My my, we are feeling cheerful this morning.

Putin has just stated that the first bomb is destined for London so I have mixed feelings.

Do you follow world events or just like to make petty comment on my posts?

• Haha 1

Just now, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Most of what you said is true, but let's be honest about it...........

"Bad" stories are so much more fun to talk about than "good" stories!

"Good" stories can bring a tear to the eye or a chuckle............. and then you move on.

"Bad" stories can get the juices flowing............. and keep them flowing for quite a long time!

Newspapers and TV News broadcasts figured this out a long time ago. Bad news sells. Bad news keeps people tuned in.

And when they DO tell a "good"  story, a "happy" story? I'm convinced they do it only to try to prove they aren't COMPLETELY cold-hearted, COMPLETELY callous. Only MOSTLY! lol

And of course the ‘click-bait’ factor....  

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:
24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And it could also be argued that those who seldom complain do so because -- as my onetime boss used to put it -- it is like pushing the back end of a wet piece of spaghetti.

It depends on the purpose of the complaint... 

IF its on this forum as part of a discussion... then its just a discussion, entertainment, perhaps even a process of understanding the point of view of others... 

Now.. what is more inane than a thread complaining about people complaining ???.... No, the irony isn’t lost !!!... 

So... complaining to a waitress that the prawns were cold ?... hardly worth it. 

complaining to the BiB that you saw one of their colleagues riding down the pavement with no helmet? utterly pointless.....     

Complaining on here about plenty of stuff....  entertainment and some of its funny... it also highlights how many of us encounter the same issues....  some of the complaints are entertaining others are just pathetic.

Its also highly entertaining to see how some people make a thread to complain about something (i.e. deck chair vendors) and see the Op attacked by utter idiots who lack the ability to understand a basic annoyance...    and then see the ‘if you can’t handle that you should go home’  type responses which are more moronic than the initial complaint !!!....  

.... its mostly just funny stuff and quite often is just ‘venting’ which also alleviates a little stress for some... 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It depends on the purpose of the complaint... 

IF its on this forum as part of a discussion... then its just a discussion, entertainment, perhaps even a process of understanding the point of view of others... 

Now.. what is more inane than a thread complaining about people complaining ???.... No, the irony isn’t lost !!!... 

complaining to the BiB that you saw one of their colleagues riding down the pavement with no helmet? utterly pointless.....     

Complaining on here about plenty of stuff....  entertainment and some of its funny... it also highlights how many of us encounter the same issues....  some of the complaints are entertaining others are just pathetic.

Its also highly entertaining to see how some people make a thread to complain about something (i.e. deck chair vendors) and see the Op attacked by utter idiots who lack the ability to understand a basic annoyance...    and then see the ‘if you can’t handle that you should go home’  type responses which are more moronic than the initial complaint !!!....  

.... its mostly just funny stuff and quite often is just ‘venting’ which also alleviates a little stress for some... 

As you may have missed, I was responding to oft copy & pasted notion that 'absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind.' The rest of the above,  if you say so.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'd be complaining if I was still in Australia. Don't have any complaints about the COL in Thailand.

Agreed although I am a retired Yank. Can’t be in my native country due to financial considerations (much better off here … a major reason for retiring here). Yes … ouch! I feel the increase in filling the motorbike. Up from 90-100 baht, now up to 130 baht. But, this I can handle and it is offset by getting more baht to the USD currently so … overall I remain a happy camper with a Thai wife 26 years my junior (another major consideration for retiring to Thailand).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well I do not have absolute contentment but, based upon your posting history, I seem to be more content than you. And if I maybe also have a 'discerning mind', I seem to more readily be able and willing to stick it in neutral gear.

Well, you most certainly do not have that ability when it comes to reading my posts. Thanks for being the main witness. Your honor, I rest my case. 

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well I do not have absolute contentment but, based upon your posting history, I seem to be more content than you. And if I maybe also have a 'discerning mind', I seem to more readily be able and willing to stick it in neutral gear.

Well, you most certainly do not have the ability to "stick it in neutral", when it comes to reading my posts. Thanks for being the main witness. Your honor, I rest my case. 

54 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Supply and Demand.

A psychiatrist doesnt get the fee he gets because of all the schooling he's been through. He gets it because there are not very many people doing that job. If there were a lot more, he'd never be able to command those prices.

Right now, and for a couple of decades, "The Trades" have suffered from a labor shortage. People simply are not interested in working that hard. This is why a lot of illegals who come to America have been happy to take those jobs, the jobs "americans won't do."

Of course, a shortage of workers doesn't mean there's a shortage of work! So contractors have had to raise wages to attract enough workers so they can accept the jobs that are out there. And, as it turns out, Americans WILL work that hard............. if there's enough money in it!

Supply and Demand is why psychiatrists get paid so much for their time.............. and Supply and Demand is why people working in "The Trades" now get paid somewhat more than they used to.

But please note, the "daily/hourly" wages that were mentioned in the post you responded to.......... (build a fence in two days, paint a house in one day).......... are almost certainly paying for A CREW, not an individual. No individual is going to build a complete fence in two days, or paint a ranch house in one day. And since we don't have more detail, we don't know how many people that "$475 per hour" actually pays for. (My guess would be that pays for four to six people: Two to four who are "skilled" and "semi-skilled," a couple more who are "grunts.")

Low-skilled workers tend to get low wages because there's an abundant supply of low-skilled workers. 

Supply and Demand.

I guarantee you, if your city  had only five plumbers............. they'd be pulling down more bucks annually.......... than just about any class of doctor!

Perhaps. My sister wanted to have a plate glass installed in her house. She was quoted between $7,000 and $9,000 for labor. A friend of mine who is a glazier, specializing in plate glass told me one guy could do the work in two days. So, that is somewhere between $500 and $700 an hour, for his time. Not a crew. 

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Dude, it should be the other way round: do lawyers deserve to pocket $300 per hour (an abysmally low estimate of what it costs to hire a lawyer these days) for a job that scarcely challenges anyone who's got a reasonably decent brain?

And to answer your rhetorical question: yes, the labouring classes do indeed deserve $90 to $300 per hour for doing the $hitty jobs they do.  How would you like to spend most of your working life on your knees as a plumber, only to retire early because your knees can't take it any longer?

I guess if nothing else, it is fascinating to see an advocate for Weimer style hyper inflation. 

My experience is mostly people from the UK with their sad paltry pensions near poverty in many countries.

The UK state pension is the worst in the developed world, according to data from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

As a percentage of average earnings, the UK government pays out 29 per cent, putting it at the bottom of a table which is led by the Netherlands, which pays 100.6 per cent, Portugal, which offers 94 per cent, and Italy, which gives 93.2 per cent.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience is mostly people from the UK with their sad paltry pensions near poverty in many countries.

The UK state pension is the worst in the developed world, according to data from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

As a percentage of average earnings, the UK government pays out 29 per cent, putting it at the bottom of a table which is led by the Netherlands, which pays 100.6 per cent, Portugal, which offers 94 per cent, and Italy, which gives 93.2 per cent.

Getting spanked for Brexit certainly didn't help.  I know more than a few that had to leave after the embassy stopped issuing income statements.

Edited by KhunLA

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lol

After being in the U.S. Marines for 20 years, my father's "second career" was teaching restauranteurs and managers how to properly run restaurants.

Because of this, he knew exactly how petty and vindictive cooks and wait-staff could be about complaints and food being returned.

Among the many bits of restaurant-wisdom I picked up from him was...........

"At three meals a day for an average lifetime, I'll eat 70,000 meals in my life. THIS ONE is not important enough to get worked up about!" (Of course, a wholly unacceptable position for a restaurant operator/ manager/ server to take!)

The only time I ever saw him reject a meal.............. was when the food served was altogether the wrong food.

(And then we kids........... [not the server!].......... would hear a lecture about how it was the server's RESPONSIBILITY to make sure the order is 100% correct BEFORE bringing it to the table, not serve it wrong, and only remedy it when there's a complaint! Lol)

Of course, if you DON'T say something........... how will they ever know what they are doing wrong?

---------------

Later, when I was the one teaching business owners and entrepreneurs how to build a successful business, I addressed it this way.............

"I'm sure you've all heard that 'No News is Good News.' This alone can bury your business, if you're not careful! Because the truth can be very different. 'No News'........... may mean........... they are so pi$$ed-off at you, that they don't even want to talk to you! "

A smart business WANTS to know when people are unhappy! Unfortunately, in my experience, most businesses are NOT run by smart business people! LOL

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy

30 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, you most certainly do not have the ability to "stick it in neutral", when it comes to reading my posts. Thanks for being the main witness. Your honor, I rest my case. 

Even though you posted it twice, I will respond once with poetic license from My Cousin Vinny:

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Mr. Spider?

Mr. Spider: Yes, sir?

Judge Chamberlain Haller: That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.

Mr. Spider Thank you, Your Honor.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: [firm tone] Overruled.

Edited by jerrymahoney

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience is mostly people from the UK with their sad paltry pensions near poverty in many countries

I met a guy from Scunthorpe a few years ago. He was on the pension and he'd only traveled from Scunthorpe to Pattaya, never been anywhere else in the world.

OMG, this guy was bitter, seemed like he was complaining and whining about everything, I had to get away from this guy, he was doing my head in, man what a loser.

I reckon I'm blessed, having worked around the world, worked and traveled in over 40 countries.

The only complaint I have are the complainers, I have no complaints, everything is running smoothly for me and my loved ones, happy as Larry, always in a good mood, what's wrong with some people?

I've been lucky, working offshore pays well, me and my family have never gone without. I understand that the pensions are low but why would people choose to live in Thailand with a measly pension?

I was chatting with a Kiwi not too long ago, he was on the pension, he was so angry with the NZ government not allowing him to live abroad and receive his government pension, I reckon the government is doing him a favor. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Because they are British. 

Funny you say that, they were my thoughts. 

There are a quite few Pom's here on AN that are doing well, not complainers, good feedback on different issues, knowledgeable, decent people, good guys. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Even though you posted it twice, I will respond once with poetic license from My Cousin Vinny:

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Mr. Spider?

Mr. Spider: Yes, sir?

Judge Chamberlain Haller: That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.

Mr. Spider Thank you, Your Honor.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: [firm tone] Overruled.

Your honor, I would like to enter exhibit #2 from Jerry. Further reinforcement of my contention that it is he, even moreso than I, who does not have the ability to put it into neutral. 

'Swings n roundabouts' as they say. 

Gas is still very cheap here compared to my Aussie home country my mates now pay OVER $2.20 a litre for 98 octane fuel!!!

All local food fresh and cooked is very cheap here, delicious, and healthy (ex the MSG which I always say NO to).

Luxury goods cost a lot more ... like good bed linen at crazy prices but there are ways around that.

Lux Euro cars cost an absolute bomb but I don't plan to replace mine for many years so I am willing to accept the 75% odd added cost of what they cost in Oz.

Vegemite costs a crazy price lol ????  as does quality steak, lamb, wine etc but the rest of life's costs are really cheap compared to Oz.

Golf membership is cheap here, gym is cheap and also excellent. My home here would easily cost twice the price in OZ!

Edited by Tropposurfer

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Your honor, I would like to enter exhibit #2 from Jerry. Further reinforcement of my contention that it is he, even moreso than I, who does not have the ability to put it into neutral. 

Well considering the volume and length of your posts, I think I have shown restraint. I mean, how many times have you said the current PM should Get OUT NOW! and i have just kept it in neutral?

Edited by jerrymahoney