Why do people move to Thailand and Complain How Much Things Cost?

I read an article that serotonin production decreases with age.

Serotonin is a hormone that works as a mood stabiliser, and promotes wellbeing and happiness.

A diet of fiber-rich plant foods with meat and fat in moderation can help with serotonin production.

Exercise is also helpful.

So try swinging your beer gut from the barstool, eat healthily and exercise and maybe, like me, you wont notice how much things cost, but just buy them because you enjoy them.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Thujone said:

I read an article that serotonin production decreases with age.

Serotonin is a hormone that works as a mood stabiliser, and promotes wellbeing and happiness.

A diet of fiber-rich plant foods with meat and fat in moderation can help with serotonin production.

Exercise is also helpful.

So try swinging your beer gut from the barstool, eat healthily and exercise and maybe, like me, you wont notice how much things cost, but just buy them because you enjoy them.

Having eliminated 4 daily medications with a combination of diet, exercise and meditation, I figure I am saving 3000 baht/month.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, moogradod said:

but to simple things like orange juice or risotto rice. There is no delicious orange juice available here (something like "Andros") or apple juice (line Gravensteiner) - even irrespective of price for the imported (a bit better) ones which sell at exuberant rip-off prices.

Makro sell very nice Valencia orange juice at 5l for 250bht, next to the fresh milk.

You should try it!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Haven't seen or noticed much increases in costs apart from fuel and bread.

Cooking oil, 40bht/ltr before COVID, 80bht/ltr today.

My woman complained this morning after getting back from the market.

Edited by BritManToo

10 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Nothing remotely to do with the post.

Lots of folks, through their own admissions, moved to Thailand because it is cheaper than their home country.

Then they complain if prices go up.

Because the bah bus or whatever goes up 10 baht, what is the reason for complaining?

Is 10 extra baht really hurting some folks that much?

It was 1/5th the cost when I moved here from the US, now it's just about 1/3rd the cost, but still cheaper.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Particularly lettuces which I read recently are selling for $12 due to shortages.

I can confirm. Australia is extremely expensive for fruit and vegetables now. Many more than $10 a kilo. Except for bananas. Bananas is cheap. Wine is cheap. Beer is a bit more but better.

The cheapest things I noticed in Thailand last week was hotel accommodation and fruit. Many things used to be super cheap in Thailand are just a bit cheaper now. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Makro sell very nice Valencia orange juice at 5l for 250bht, next to the fresh milk.

You should try it!

First of all thank you for your answer which is aimed to help ! Not self-explanatory with many answers you get nowadays on aseannow !

I will really try your suggestion, but I suspect that given the reasonable price this is juice from concentrate and "Valencia" rather a brand name than the origin. But who knows, lets try.

One brand from Germany, which is a direct juice, that I buy from time to time in Central is something around THB 280.-- / l if I recall correctly and even this one does not live up to the expectations given the exorbitant price. Sometimes we cook the Vietnamese Duck from the cookbook of Rick Stein (as a Brit you should know him) which calls for fresh orange juice. Then we buy about 6 kg of fresh oranges to get the 1 liter needed. Which is expensive.

But this French brand (Andros) comes as near as it gets to the real thing. We alway bought it in Switzerland. Sold at several big supermarkets:

Andros.jpg.fb30a325e8d2e82c5ffb5864a476f35b.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just for some clarification, who are the people complaining about ten Baht price rises ?

Do I have to read the posted articles to you?

No, obviously, you do not but you could quote some of them, I'd be interested to see who is so upset by B10 price rises.  My guess is that there aren't any, none at all.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't shop much only shop in 7-11 and all the stuff I buy is the same price except for bread. 

Obviously I see the price of fuel but still only stick a 1000 in when the trucks near empty. 

My bike tank fill up usually about 500 it was 750 last time. 

I don't eat fried food. ????

Mrs gets my potatoes weekly no complaints. 

Because the bah bus or whatever goes up 10 baht, what is the reason for complaining?

Is 10 extra baht really hurting some folks that much?

I think that your imagination needs reining in, where are all these alleged complaints about tiny price rises?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I don't complain about price, just the abissmal customer service that surrounds the sale of any Thai product.

"...abissmal [sic] customer service that surrounds the sale of any Thai product".

Any specifics that you've experienced out of every single purchase you've made?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, expensive is very relative. Thailand is still reasonable.

Everything related to work (like repairs etc.) is extremely cheap here. This is good for us as customers, but many times I have to think about the people doing this work and the compensation they get for it.

That is clearly the more than sad part then.

• Thanks 1

I don't think that you can really associate complaining about higher costs with the initial reason for moving here. Some people just love to complain about costs regardless of their reason for coming here. In reality total costs of living for foreigners who don't own property probably reduced during covid as rental prices slumped. This new inflation correction will test everyone on a fixed income I think, as prices continue to rise. This will be especially true for people if they had large portions of their income tied up in the SET or in crypto. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Tell her to go to 7-11, Lotus's, Big C, Tops etc. instead, none of them charge anything like B80 for ordinary cooking oil.