No masks, cannabis legal, bars open, is Thailand back to normal?

webfact

From the Washington Post, BBC, and other Western news, the overall feeling is that the legalisation of cannabis in Thailand is for medicinal purposes, and re recreational use may still get you in trouble with the law, especially smoking.  There is a gray area around consumables.  There is also the suggestion that legalisationY not include foreigners.  So beware...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Wow, why are you even in Thailand....are you the real first person who only comes for the temples ????

Temples? Right. Golfing and temples, thats what we tell our relatives, why we like it here.

Everyone knows tourism is about going on a drunken rampage, whoring thru someone else's country, indulging in alcohol abuse and illicit drugs. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Well I guess all this will make a lot of  people happy.  Booze, pot, no masks. 
I guess to some that is what life Is all about.

Yes, some will think that everything is back to normal, but these times are not normal just look at the cost of food and gas, look at Russia and China and the moves that they are making. Normal times, I think not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Wow, why are you even in Thailand....are you the real first person who only comes for the temples ????

Actually, there's many of us who come for the hot weather during winter months and the golf courses, and just don't feel the need or the desire to numb our brains with alcohol or pot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, thaipo7 said:

What I can't get an answer to is am I required to be fully vaccinated to come to Thailand.  I have a home there and go for 5 - 6 months prior to COVID.  Do I need the 2 shots and the 2 boosters?  Can't get an answer to this at consulates in the US.

Maybe read the OP again

Properly this time. If unvaccinated you need a proper PCR test prior to travel.

Unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated travelers who are randomly checked and who are unable to show proof of a pre-arrival negative test will be required to undergo a professional ATK test at the point of entry.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterGael said:

From the Washington Post, BBC, and other Western news, the overall feeling is that the legalisation of cannabis in Thailand is for medicinal purposes, and re recreational use may still get you in trouble with the law, especially smoking.  There is a gray area around consumables.  There is also the suggestion that legalisationY not include foreigners.  So beware...

You are clearly not in Thailand. Ganja is openly for sale in many places and amongst those you’ll see buying it are men and women in police uniform (it’s being sold next to a police station in one part of BKK). 7-elevens are selling consumables with age ID in parts of the country and there are fairly obviously non-medical dispensaries in malls. Thais and foreigners. 

Nothing in the new rules say Thai only, with limitations on under 20 and selling to pregnant women. The foreign press is hardly the arbiter of all this, they report what was written for them by a stringer. Read the local media and what is gazetted.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, starky said:

Maybe read the OP again

Properly this time. If unvaccinated you need a proper PCR test prior to travel.

Unvaccinated/not fully vaccinated travelers who are randomly checked and who are unable to show proof of a pre-arrival negative test will be required to undergo a professional ATK test at the point of entry.

You don't need a PCR test, an ATK within 72 hours is enough (from the official Thai Pass site)

Screenshot_20220625-112223_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I do not know what the OP has been up to but I have been in the bars in Chiang Mai since Jan. 1

Same in Bangkok. The nightclubs of Ekkamai as an example have been trading well after midnight for most of this year too. I guess they got a special ‘exemption’ from the local cops. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

Temples? Right. Golfing and temples, thats what we tell our relatives, why we like it here.

Everyone knows tourism is about going on a drunken rampage, whoring thru someone else's country, indulging in alcohol abuse and illicit drugs. 

What illicit drugs do you mean?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WinterGael said:

A gray area? In Thailand? Surely not!

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

The 90 day reporting is the perfect example of Thailand doing things back to front. In the real world you only have to report if your circumstances change. In Thailand you have to report that nothing has changed.

Very succinctly put!

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I arrived in Bangkok last Wednesday returning from an overseas trip and was required to complete an arrival card distributed by the airline.

That's the same policy as America.  You must complete an arrival card unless you are a citizen.  Citizens get to use a computer to scan their passport and check in.  No big deal.

2 hours ago, LarryB said:

The mind control is still strong in this country. Every Thai I speak to is terrified to let go of the face rag. 

I don't mind it so much. Since pandemic I haven't gotten sick in over 2 years. I also don't take public transit anymore. 

• Thanks 1

I'm getting 35.3 baht to the USD out of the ATM. That's 14000 baht more on the $2500 I bring in every month. That's a month's rent for many!

Enjoy it while you can.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It is likely that the habit of carrying a mask will continue and most will likely continue wearing a mask when in the company of other mask wearers, just to be polite.

Every Thai person this morning while I was out exercising were still wearing a mask...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1