Bangsaen Grand Prix - Starts 29th June

Kinnock

Well worth a visit if you like motorsports.  29th through to the 2nd.

Street racing circuit, supercars, one make and pick-up trucks.

The pick-ups are great fun to watch, as they don't handle well compared to the cars, so more slides on bends ..... and it's a full contact 'Ben Hur chariots' race ????

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this.

The entire town is engulfed by crash-barriers and stands for weeks either side.

It certainly is a spectacle that draws in a multitude and the ring is noisy without much room for manoeuvre.

however I get the feeling that this is primarily for the gratification of Bang Saen "ruling elite" who have always had a penchant for high performance cars - mostly grey imports.

This is their chance to take over the town and run like hell all over it. Pretty much regardless of the feelings of the ordinary locals.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:33 AM, Thunglom said:

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this.

The entire town is engulfed by crash-barriers and stands for weeks either side.

It certainly is a spectacle that draws in a multitude and the ring is noisy without much room for manoeuvre.

however I get the feeling that this is primarily for the gratification of Bang Saen "ruling elite" who have always had a penchant for high performance cars - mostly grey imports.

This is their chance to take over the town and run like hell all over it. Pretty much regardless of the feelings of the ordinary locals.

I guess if you want to take the woke viewpoint and get upset on other people's behalf, then the event could be seen in that light, and it's true that the son of a senior Chonburi official races a 911 - but the Supercars are just one part of a 4 day event.

The 40 racing pick-up trucks, the 50 Eco-cars and the participants in the 4 hour saloon endurance race are not all 'the elite' ..... and nether are the hundreds of local spectators who can see cars and trucks that are the same as their own Brios, Vios and Revos racing on a unique street circuit.

The event drives business to the hotels, provides employment to the many people setting up the circuit as well as the security and the marshalls, and sponsors such as Toyota and B-Quick pay the beach concessionaires for the space they take up for their booths.  There's also temporary bridges and special lanes to minimise impact to local residents when the roads are closed.

It's also free to watch!

On a wider point, I think the event helps to promote the country to a different audience than the TAT's obsession with Chinese and Indian tourists, and Thailand is also a car manufacturing country, so a 'mini-Monaco/free Le Mans is not a bad image for the country.

Plus, if you're overly stressed about the elite taking advantage of ordinary folk, then you're in the wrong country.

2022_0702_10593900.thumb.jpg.df8a69c99861d67d4761eaf933100c05.jpg

2022_0702_11193300.thumb.jpg.e83e77e0b2cf119713743b9ba1484759.jpg

2022_0629_11304700.thumb.jpg.7becb30141bcedad213bd07bd222831d.jpg

2022_0629_12111200.thumb.jpg.4ac28f98b8cdf037e1364c805acd615c.jpg

• Sad 1

Just now, Thunglom said:

what a ridiculous comment!

18 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I guess if you want to take the woke viewpoint and get upset on other people's behalf, then the event could be seen in that light, and it's true that the son of a senior Chonburi official races a 911 - but the Supercars are just one part of a 4 day event.

The 40 racing pick-up trucks, the 50 Eco-cars and the participants in the 4 hour saloon endurance race are not all 'the elite' ..... and nether are the hundreds of local spectators who can see cars and trucks that are the same as their own Brios, Vios and Revos racing on a unique street circuit.

The event drives business to the hotels, provides employment to the many people setting up the circuit as well as the security and the marshalls, and sponsors such as Toyota and B-Quick pay the beach concessionaires for the space they take up for their booths.  There's also temporary bridges and special lanes to minimise impact to local residents when the roads are closed.

It's also free to watch!

On a wider point, I think the event helps to promote the country to a different audience than the TAT's obsession with Chinese and Indian tourists, and Thailand is also a car manufacturing country, so a 'mini-Monaco/free Le Mans is not a bad image for the country.

Plus, if you're overly stressed about the elite taking advantage of ordinary folk, then you're in the wrong country.

2022_0702_10593900.thumb.jpg.df8a69c99861d67d4761eaf933100c05.jpg

2022_0702_11193300.thumb.jpg.e83e77e0b2cf119713743b9ba1484759.jpg

2022_0629_11304700.thumb.jpg.7becb30141bcedad213bd07bd222831d.jpg

2022_0629_12111200.thumb.jpg.4ac28f98b8cdf037e1364c805acd615c.jpg

you might also point out that during setting up and breaking down the re are many small businesses that effectively have to suspend operations due to access and supply problems caused by the barriers and other components of the race circuit.

It's just rick boys having fun at everyone else's and the environments expense.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

On a wider point, I think the event helps to promote the country to a different audience than the TAT's obsession with Chinese and Indian tourists,

so you take a racist viewpoint as well?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

so you take a racist viewpoint as well?

Ah .... the last retreat of the true woke on the ropes.  I simply stated a fact, the TAT's main focus is China and India, the racism is in your response to my reference to two countries - which the TAT obviously focus on due to population numbers.

But you're just trolling now, so have earned a place on my ignore list.

I nust thought some motorsports enthusiasts would appreciate the info about a free event.

Edited by Kinnock

35 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Ah .... the last retreat of the true woke on the ropes.  I simply stated a fact, the TAT's main focus is China and India, the racism is in your response to my reference to two countries - which the TAT obviously focus on due to population numbers.

But you're just trolling now, so have earned a place on my ignore list.

I nust thought some motorsports enthusiasts would appreciate the info about a free event.

Me too!