Bangkok Proposes Budget for Scout Uniform Procurements

snoop1130

28f187abea68b6f666eb29a60b42a92f_small.jpg

The Bangkok governor has suggested that a budget be set aside to finance the handout of boy scout and girl guide uniforms to children in families facing financial difficulties.

Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Interior Suthipon Julacharoen signed an order on June 22, instructing provincial governors to work with local education authorities in surveying schoolchildren in need and providing them with free boy scout and girl guide uniforms. The head of the Interior Ministry officials’ housewives association in each province would assist in the procurement of free uniforms. Provinces with limited financial resources have been asked to notify the ministry so that funds can be mobilized to subsidize uniform procurement for free distribution.

In response to the ministry’s order, Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will follow the directives but suggested funding be set aside for the procurement as well. He added that the BMA has already allocated funds to purchase school uniforms in order to help children in need, but boy scout and girl guide uniforms are more expensive than normal school uniforms and need further consideration.

In response to public suggestions that students wear regular uniforms with scarves and woggles on scout days, the Bangkok governor said officials will look into these options because he believes the core of scout training for children is primarily about discipline. He also said the BMA will negotiate to reach an understanding between both sides and that he believes the issue can be resolved without complications.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-06-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

"......the Bangkok governor said.........he believes the core of scout training for children is primarily about discipline............"

Those sound like the words of a martinet.

This is what the founder said:

"Upon hearing the Scout motto, someone asked Scouting founder Robert Baden-Powell the inevitable follow-up question.

“Prepared for what?”

“Why, for any old thing,” he replied.

In 1907, Baden-Powell, an English soldier, devised the Scout motto: Be Prepared. He published it in Scouting for Boys in 1908. (Two years later, in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was founded.)

In Scouting for Boys, Baden-Powell wrote that to Be Prepared means “you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your duty.”

More than a century later, preparedness is still a cornerstone of Scouting. Through its fun, values-based program, Scouting prepares young people for life."

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/05/08/be-prepared-scout-motto-origin/

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In response to public suggestions that students wear regular uniforms with scarves and woggles on scout days, the Bangkok governor said officials will look into these options because he believes the core of scout training for children is primarily about discipline.

Translation : Not a chance, my friends own the clothing shops

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some might enjoy a Scout story concerning the international Scout jamboree hosted by Thailand in 2002. U.S.A. Scout Council Representatives gathered for a conference at Philmont Scout Ranch two years later. Various experiences concerning international contacts were told. I recall one rather religiously oriented couple who reported getting upset at the Thai jamboree when they discovered the shower trailers provided were co-ed. Now the trailer had separate completely enclosed shower compartments so no one was showering collectively but ... ha! After their story of how they protested such an arrangement, I reported on a Scout Exchange which took our group of male and female Scouts to Kandersteg International Scout Reservation in Switzerland. We were assigned bunk rooms based on the size of our group. So, we all slept, males and females, in the same room. Separate bathrooms were down the hall. I have no doubt that some conservative folks in my home Scout Council would have been upset. As head of our Scout Exchange, I simply said we were under the International Scout regulations so not to worry. Hmmm, my Son, who was part of our group certainly enjoyed meeting the Swedish Scouts (female). A great experience where we were joined by our Czech Sister City Scouts.

5 hours ago, proton said:

why are school kids forced to dress up in these uniforms when almost none of them are really in the Scouts and Guides? Apart from people making money out of it.

Another mandatory indoctrination plan.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I don't believe the image in the OP depicts any Thai establishment.........

Err the military ? I was in the scouts UK and at no time were we made to march or 'slope sticks' or especially goose step like Nazi's.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:33 AM, Enoon said:

"......the Bangkok governor said.........he believes the core of scout training for children is primarily about discipline............"

Those sound like the words of a martinet.

This is what the founder said:

"Upon hearing the Scout motto, someone asked Scouting founder Robert Baden-Powell the inevitable follow-up question.

“Prepared for what?”

“Why, for any old thing,” he replied.

In 1907, Baden-Powell, an English soldier, devised the Scout motto: Be Prepared. He published it in Scouting for Boys in 1908. (Two years later, in 1910, the Boy Scouts of America was founded.)

In Scouting for Boys, Baden-Powell wrote that to Be Prepared means “you are always in a state of readiness in mind and body to do your duty.”

More than a century later, preparedness is still a cornerstone of Scouting. Through its fun, values-based program, Scouting prepares young people for life."

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2017/05/08/be-prepared-scout-motto-origin/

I wonder:

- How many hours a week are devoted specifically to Scouting in Thai schools?

- What do they actually do during those hours?

- Is there a curiculum and is it followed?

- What specific subjects are in the curiculum?

- Who teaches the lesssons?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I wonder:

- How many hours a week are devoted specifically to Scouting in Thai schools?

- What do they actually do during those hours?

- Is there a curiculum and is it followed?

- What specific subjects are in the curiculum?

- Who teaches the lesssons?

OfIt is a couple of hours one morning or afternoon a week. The teachers act as the scoutleaders and have to dress in appropriate uniforms.

Some of the subjects are quite useful, first aid, camping, cooking and so on, but their is a heavy emphasis on drill, marching and saluting.

Once a year they go on a "hike" and spend a couple of nights at a camping ground, doing activities and living out. They seem to enjoy that. For several years I was asked along to run a "jungle living" stand, making an "ad hoc" jungle shelter (basha), and how to filter water, build a fire and so on.

Bits of it are useful and fun for teenagers, the drill and marching less so.

Edited by herfiehandbag