thai. health care

is there a monetary cap to not get universal health care, as per gf.

my gf was turned down by her company medical insurance, she had too many health issues.

she now has covid 19 and can not get any medical treatment, was refused at government hospital, as per her.

i bought her 2 vaccinations of Moderna and she refused them.

my gf told me they refused her at a government hospital, that she made too much money for universal health care.sounds fishy to me.

is there any reason a Thai. person would be refused universal health care???

she does not make a lot of money.

• Confused 1

most probably she doesn't have any symptoms or mild. That's why refused.

Hospitalisation is from 39.5C for minimum 24h or minimum 25 breaths per minute.

Anything between is up to local covid policies.

If her company could not give her insurance, she has the right to get this money included in wages.

There is no means testing or monetary cap. Anyone not covered under one of the other 2 government schemes (Social Security and Civil Service SS) is automatically covered under the universal scheme.

If she works she is likely covered under SS.  She will have elected a specific hospital for that. This is unrelated to private health insurance if her company also offers that (seems unlikely if not an international company), as offering private insurance does nto relieve a company of the legal requirements of the Thai SS act.

• Like 2

For the universal system one is covered at the hospital which serves the area where one is listed in a Tabian ban. Such listings can be changed, and should be if someone has moved long term somewhere else, but sometimes people don't bother.

I think not relevant to OP's situation. Does not in any way explain the false information given him by his GF. Who is evidently employed so would almost certainly come under Social Security mot the universal scheme.

For SS the coveted person needs to select a hospital from among those which accept new SS enrollees. Tabian ban listing is not a factor.

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Correct me I’m wrong…. The covered person is where the house book shows person registered. 
example work in Bangkok but registered in another city…..

I think that was recently changed a few months ago on 3/1/65 BKK post article. Google Thais can now use any hospital. 

Edited by brianthainess

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think that was recently changed a few months ago on 3/1/65 BKK post article. Google Thais can now use any hospital. 

Do you mean that therefore my wife - registered in the housebook of her father in Korat - is now covered at any Government Hospital in Pattaya where she lives with me in a condo as it were the case in a Korat Government Hospital ? She might not even be registered with any hospital even there. Her father and other family members are - they have been staying inpatient there for extended periods of time including surgery with very little financial impact.

I have only rented the condo (in my name) and I doubt that the Landlord (a foreigner himself) would agree that she or even me is included in the Tabien Baan. Too volatile a rental situation I believe.

Edited by moogradod

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

She has been ill-informed or you have. ????

Not sure what you mean she just signed up about a week ago at a large Chiang Mai hospital in Mae Rim Nakorn Ping and that is what the staff told her... and now she has free basic Thai health care.

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

There has been talk of this but I am not sure it has been implemented. Best to ask the hospital concerned.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:11 AM, moogradod said:

Do you mean that therefore my wife - registered in the housebook of her father in Korat - is now covered at any Government Hospital in Pattaya where she lives with me in a condo as it were the case in a Korat Government Hospital ? She might not even be registered with any hospital even there. Her father and other family members are - they have been staying inpatient there for extended periods of time including surgery with very little financial impact.

I have only rented the condo (in my name) and I doubt that the Landlord (a foreigner himself) would agree that she or even me is included in the Tabien Baan. Too volatile a rental situation I believe.

As I said ' I think' as it was published in the BP but whether it has been implemented yet is another story. You could just google what I have for the full story 'Thais can now use any hospital' it was a new years 'gift' by no other than, Anutin. ????

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

As I said ' I think' as it was published in the BP but whether it has been implemented yet is another story. You could just google what I have for the full story 'Thais can now use any hospital' it was a new years 'gift' by no other than, Anutin. ????

Can also call the NHSO for definitive answer. Call center  1330.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Can also call the NHSO for definitive answer. Call center  1330.

Thank you Sheryl

My wife will call the NHSO. The appropriate Government Hospital would then be the Banglamung Hospital. Is that correct ? Or would the Queen Sirikit Hospital better ?

Our whole family is currently treated at the BHP. Everybody of us 3 has currently some ailment that needs attention.

2 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thank you Sheryl

My wife will call the NHSO. The appropriate Government Hospital would then be the Banglamung Hospital. Is that correct ? Or would the Queen Sirikit Hospital better ?

Our whole family is currently treated at the BHP. Everybody of us 3 has currently some ailment that needs attention.

I am nit clear what you are asking. Do you mean best choice medically (in which case, for what problem?) or cost wise?

Queen Sirikit is a Naval hospital. Only Thais in the navy and their family members can be treated free there, otherwise would have to pay full fee.

The best government hospital in the area, in terms of facilities, is Chonburi Hosptal in Chonburi town - a regional level facility. However, under the Thai universal scheme people usually need to be referred there by a lower level hospital, unless they reside in the ampur.  Also, its higher level capabilities are really only important for some specialized  problems .

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am nit clear what you are asking. Do you mean best choice medically (in which case, for what problem?) or cost wise?

Queen Sirikit is a Naval hospital. Only Thais in the navy and their family members can be treated free there, otherwise would have to pay full fee.

The best government hospital in the area, in terms of facilities, is Chonburi Hosptal in Chonburi town - a regional level facility. However, under the Thai universal scheme people usually need to be referred there by a lower level hospital, unless they reside in the ampur.  Also, its higher level capabilities are really only important for some specialized  problems .

Thank you. I thought Queen Sirikit was a normal Government Hospital. I went there once for a blood test myself and even the "full fees" did occur quite reasonable to me (compared to a strictly private hospital). Unfortunately waiting times are as well comparable. And to tell the truth I was not really treated very politely even if accompanied by my wife.

We are used charges of the BHP so anything less is welcome. Of course high level capabilities are important for us. My stepdaughter has Acute Rhymatic Fever and needs to take now antibiotics for 5 years on a regular basis.

My most severe problem is Cardiomyophaty with an EF of 27 with many side effects that brings this with it (water accumulation etc.). Besides I was diagnosed with prostate cancer (Gleason Score 8, fully removed gland, no biochemical relapse nor augmentation of PSA since 11 years) and I am type 2 diabetic besides some other minor things (reflux etc., many more)

My wife is pre-diabetic.

All of us need recurring appointments for control.

With "reside in the amphur" you most probably mean to be registered in a tabian baan from that amphur. Exactly this neither my wife nor my stepdaughter (lives in her own condo in Pattaya as well but is regeistered in Korat) can have.

Does not hurt to call the NHSO anyway.

41 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thank you. I thought Queen Sirikit was a normal Government Hospital. I went there once for a blood test myself and even the "full fees" did occur quite reasonable to me (compared to a strictly private hospital). Unfortunately waiting times are as well comparable. And to tell the truth I was not really treated very politely even if accompanied by my wife.

We are used charges of the BHP so anything less is welcome. Of course high level capabilities are important for us. My stepdaughter has Acute Rhymatic Fever and needs to take now antibiotics for 5 years on a regular basis.

My most severe problem is Cardiomyophaty with an EF of 27 with many side effects that brings this with it (water accumulation etc.). Besides I was diagnosed with prostate cancer (Gleason Score 8, fully removed gland, no biochemical relapse nor augmentation of PSA since 11 years) and I am type 2 diabetic besides some other minor things (reflux etc., many more)

My wife is pre-diabetic.

All of us need recurring appointments for control.

With "reside in the amphur" you most probably mean to be registered in a tabian baan from that amphur. Exactly this neither my wife nor my stepdaughter (lives in her own condo in Pattaya as well but is regeistered in Korat) can have.

Does not hurt to call the NHSO anyway.

With exception of your wife's pre-diabetes, for these conditions, I would suggest Chonburi Hospital. Waits will be long and it will be crowded, though.

It is possible to change tabian ban registration and might be worth doing, if you expect to remain in Pattaya long term. But first see what NHSO and local hospital say.

• Thanks 1