Tragedy averted as school van with 12 kids aboard plunges into klong north of Bangkok

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Just a seizure not microsleep

Members of the public helped twelve boys and girls escape death after their school van was driven into Klong 3 in Pathum Thani, the province north of the Thai capital Bangkok.

Two of the children had minor leg injuries and were ferried to hospital with others being taken by parents before police and district officials arrived on the scene. 

They found the Mercedes Benz van almost completely submerged. 

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Driver Suriya Jeenpracha, 46, was taking the children home and had a full compliment.

He said he had some kind of episode or seizure but was sure it was not a microsleep.

He has been on the job only a month. 

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV from the area showed the van come out of a sub-soi and cross Klong 3 Road and go directly into the klong. It was lucky that no traffic was passing and that the vehicle did not hit a power pole.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Klong Luang police are interviewing the driver again ahead of a possible prosecution. 

The childrens' school was not named in the Daily News story. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

This morning while stopped at a traffic light I saw the driver of a van with yellow plates sipping from a green bottle and I don't think that was Perrier bottle, ????

Edited by kotsak
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 300sd said:

Thank God the children made it out. In my country the kids are precious.

Did this creep have a license? Did he pass a driving test for transporting students? Was his medical history checked? With yaba everywhere was he tested for drugs? Police record and for what? When was the vehicle last serviced? Who hires these people?

Far too many questions, which one do you need answering first?????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 300sd said:

Did this creep have a license? Did he pass a driving test for transporting students? Was his medical history checked? With yaba everywhere was he tested for drugs? Police record and for what? When was the vehicle last serviced? Who hires these people?

I wonder what you will find out ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, roo860 said:
8 hours ago, 300sd said:

Far too many questions, which one do you need answering first?????

Same answer for each, probably. No.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

'Some kind of episode'....meaning talking or playing games on his Phone or the normal Brain Failure !

Yup.....with things like this, my 1st guess is looking at the phone....but they will never admit that....an "episode" or "micro sleep" is a bit better face-saving they think!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I hope the driver is banned from driving until he has been thoroughly checked out at a medical facility and assessed if the ban should be permanent 

A medical prior to being employed might have been prudent, checking past health history, blood tests to look for alcohol or drug use,or even medication, but then again if this was a "first seizure" then it might not have shown up.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:12 AM, webfact said:

CCTV from the area showed the van come out of a sub-soi and cross Klong 3 Road and go directly into the klong. It was lucky that no traffic was passing and that the vehicle did not hit a power pole.

Just another incompetent Thai driver. The scariest thing in Thailand is avoiding these morons on the roads who only take their test at 15 kmh. it will never change until the test does, and RTP get of their collective Ass and do proper road patrols.

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:48 AM, 300sd said:

Har har har dee har har! TIT! He will be back on the road in no time.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:48 AM, 300sd said:

Jesus...

21 hours ago, 300sd said:
On 7/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Children are precious in Thailand also.  Which country are you from?

Yes of course they are.

http://www.thai-language.com/photos/schoolbus.jpg

So sad that, based on two specific instances (one unfortunate and one ridiculous), you conclude that Thais in general do not consider their children to be precious.

• Sad 1