SOS Satellite communicator Thai licence

I've been lost/got into trouble in places with no cellphone signal that I want an SOS GPS Garmin device (Mini 2, Explorer Plus, 66i etc) with text communication cabaility with the Iridium satellite network.

Thailand seems to require personal use licence through its broadcasting agency. I can understand they would want to restrict because the devices could be used in the Deep South troubles. 

It is almost impossible to buy the phones I mentioned above, but several Thai companies sell the Garmin 88i, the marine version of the 66i. This means Thailand does provide the Use Licence for at least this type of phone to importing companies. 

My inference from these brute realities is Thailand is likely to deny any licence request unless an overwhelming need, but are open to boat owners gaining the device for emergency situations.

Even if I couldn't use it in Thailand, I'd find it useful to take on holidays abroad.

Can anyone tell me if my inferences from the factual reality are correct?

1. Thailand is highly restrictive on the licences

2. Licences for boat users/owners are the most likely to be granted 

3. Even an unused device (a device intended for foreign holidays only) without a licence is illegal

I'm hoping the licence is a matter of routine, and is simply for the purpose of keeping track of the owners of such devices should they be used in the Deep South. In the same way, cell phones don't work in the Deep South unless first registered.

Also, can I apply for the licence prior to obtaining the phone? Must I?

Anyone here with a Personal Licence? 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I contacted the telecommunication regulators and the Thai embassy and have received no response as to the legality of purchasing/ using/ carrying the items.

A seller on Shopee insists that no licence is required. 

Does anyone know from actual personal experience? This is frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...

You really need to visit the NBTC office in Bangkok, which handles all radio equipment licences.  They speak English. (I can't answer your specific question, but I have a Thai radio amateur licence, and renew this at NBTC every 5 years. ).  I always find the staff very helpful if you visit in person.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Fascinatingly, the new iPhone 14 has an emergency sos satellite potential. The Bangkok Post states that the phone has this ability, but with my own research I found it appears to require a firmware upgrade which will appear in November.

It will be fascinating to see what happens considering the incredible difficulties in obtaining the standard satellite communication devices in Thailand.  I could find no confirmation that the Thai government would allow this ability on the phone.

Apple intends to connect to the satellite network of global star. And intend it to be free for 2 years.

Obviously, this will completely change the  satellite communication landscape of Thailand... if it is allowed.

• 10 months later...

Bouncing.

Could anyone with the iPhone 14 please check to see if their phone has a working Emergency SOS satellite communication function. The phone can be tested by launching a demo emergency. 

I am almost certain that the function is disabled for Thailand, but if the phone was bought in the USA it may work.

The phone is a very legitimate emergency satellite communication device, which under Thai law as it stands would require registration of every user with the NBTC. I am interested in seeing what the de facto position is in Thailand now.