Jump to content

Failed to get non-o extension in Chiang Mai


Recommended Posts

Earlier I I asked about my situation where I've just converted to a non-O based on marriage but I will be leaving the country for 2 months with not enough time to request the 12 month extension in advance and return it before I leave.

 

@ubonjoe suggested I could get an extension based on visiting a Thai wife and they would extend 2 months from the expiration date of the visa, thus giving me enough time to return to Thailand and complete the 12 month extension. Anyways I went to immigration this morning and the guy said there was no point for getting this kind of visa because I was already in the country. I told him my situation and he suggested to just let the visa expire and re apply for it later. I thought it made sense to give me the extension so it would be ready by the time I got back the IO didn't seem to think so.

 

Can I get this extension when I'm outside of Thailand or do I simply need to apply for the non-O at the embassy in the US or when I get back to Thailand? I almost think it may be easier in the US since I just send it visa post and wait instead of 2 doing trips to CM immigration which wastes half a day each time. Not sure about how the Ko Ro 2 and the bank book though.

 

I mainly just wanted to report that in case it was useful  for anyone in CM. Other offices may allow this but maybe it's not worth trying in CM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Can't understand why you were not given a 60 day extension to visit wife.

 

He said I'm already in country so what's the point. My visa is expired August 7th so I'm basically asking for this in advance when I get back in early September but I don't "need" it now. Yes I now I don't need it now, but I will need it later. This guy has been working their for over 10 years so I don't think he's lacking information.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

extensions to permission to stay are only issued inside Thailand, when does your current permission to stay expire and what are your travelling dates?

 

edit you say your visa expires 7th august, do you mean extension issued at local immigration office, or do you mean visa either issued outside Thailand of inside Thailand as part of a conversions to non immigrant visa 

Edited by steve187
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

He said I'm already in country so what's the point. My visa is expired August 7th so I'm basically asking for this in advance when I get back in early September but I don't "need" it now. Yes I now I don't need it now, but I will need it later. This guy has been working their for over 10 years so I don't think he's lacking information.

The io is not making any sense.

This 60 day extension is often obtained in Thailand to extend stay.

Sometimes because it suits the applicant or sometimes for added time to season funds in bank etc.

IMO the io is talking through his hat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

He said I'm already in country so what's the point. My visa is expired August 7th so I'm basically asking for this in advance when I get back in early September but I don't "need" it now. Yes I now I don't need it now, but I will need it later. This guy has been working their for over 10 years so I don't think he's lacking information.

Maybe it is to early to extend?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The io is not making any sense.

This 60 day extension is often obtained in Thailand to extend stay.

Sometimes because it suits the applicant or sometimes for added time to season funds in bank etc.

IMO the io is talking through his hat. 

i think he is talking from somewhere lower than his head

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

extensions to permission to stay are only issued inside Thailand, when does your current permission to stay expire and what are your travelling dates?

 

edit you say your visa expires 7th august, do you mean extension issued at local immigration office, or do you mean visa either issued outside Thailand of inside Thailand as part of a conversions to non immigrant visa 

The non-O I got in Chiang Mai expires August 7th. I leave for the US July 7th for 2 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

The non-O I got in Chiang Mai expires August 7th. I leave for the US July 7th for 2 months.

 

 

So why can't you go today to do a 12m extension?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The io is not making any sense.

This 60 day extension is often obtained in Thailand to extend stay.

Sometimes because it suits the applicant or sometimes for added time to season funds in bank etc.

IMO the io is talking through his hat. 

I don't know what I can do about this then. I showed him my passport and told him I was leaving for 2 months. Even if we had a misunderstanding he should have known I needed some kind of extension but he said just let it lapse and start over. I'm telling you this man is senior and I've seen him there since at least 2008.

 

The visa expires August 7th so maybe it was too early? He didn't say so though. I don't get it either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

The non-O I got in Chiang Mai expires August 7th. I leave for the US July 7th for 2 months.

As I understand it CM requires 21 days remaining on your permission of stay to process application for extension.

The 60 day extension would take you till approx 7th Oct.

You won't be back till approx 7 Sept.

However that gives you sufficient time to obtain extension.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

The non-O I got in Chiang Mai expires August 7th. I leave for the US July 7th for 2 months.

try again in a few days 5th or 6th for a 60 day visit Thai wife extension, wife needs to be with you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, hotandsticky said:

 

 

So why can't you go today to do a 12m extension?

because 1) it's probably too early (some people said 45 days earlier could be ok but didn't ask) and 2) I'm leaving in 1 week and the process takes longe then that. If that was an option I would think the IO would have let me know?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

because 1) it's probably too early (some people said 45 days earlier could be ok but didn't ask) and 2) I'm leaving in 1 week and the process takes longe then that. If that was an option I would think the IO would have let me know?

 

You think he would??

 

 

Try a direct question.

 

 

45 days prior is the official Thai Immigration 'rule'. Jomtien work on 30, Buriram 40  - ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

 

 

So why can't you go today to do a 12m extension?

i would think it could be too early, also the 30 days under consideration could put him past or very close to his travel date

edit to above no time before 7th July flight, as a 30 day under consideration period is required

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, steve187 said:

try again in a few days 5th or 6th for a 60 day visit Thai wife extension, wife needs to be with you

Going there wastes half a day (I live on the north side of the city). Wife was <deleted> today she wasted another day off for nothing. If I go back I need to have a good plan. 🙂 This could all be solved by asking a question by phone but they never answer in my experience so we gave up trying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Going there wastes half a day (I live on the north side of the city). Wife was <deleted> today she wasted another day off for nothing. If I go back I need to have a good plan. 🙂 This could all be solved by asking a question by phone but they never answer in my experience so we gave up trying.

You should certainly try again. Not worth the effort to get a new non-o visa if you can get the 60 day exension.

If you do get it you will need to get a single re-entry permit for 60 days and the remainder of you current permit to stay to keep it valid when you enter the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Try a direct question.

 

 

45 days prior is the official Thai Immigration 'rule'. Jomtien work on 30, Buriram 40  - ask.

The bigger problem is the processing time. It will take longer than 1 week and I'll be gone then and won't be able to get the stamp. Maybe they would have allowed that but I doubt it since my visa would be expired by then. I didn't think to ask and he didn't suggest it. Going back to ask that question is another half day lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You should certainly try again. Not worth the effort to get a new non-o visa if you can get the 60 day exension.

If you do get it you will need to get a single re-entry permit for 60 days and the remainder of you current permit to stay to keep it valid when you enter the country.

What is this thing even called? I just told the IO some guys on a forum said you could get a 2 month extension to visit a Thai wife. Maybe I totally confused him but you're saying for a fact there is a 2 month extension available for a non-O? If I go back just to argue with him I'll come back empty handed again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just talked to my wife and I may have missed some detail. I thought I understood but the IO said the problem is when he issues the visa I won't be in the country (August 7th) and THAT was his problem.

 

Who cares if I'm here or not? My problem may have been because I told the guy I was leaving and if I would have just said nothing and asked for an extension it would have been fine. I don't understand Thai logic but maybe he though he was doing me a favor or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you do get it you will need to get a single re-entry permit for 60 days and the remainder of you current permit to stay to keep it valid when you enter the country.

If that IO doesn't like the fact I'm leaving the country after getting a 60 day extension getting the re-entry permit may be a problem also. If I lived close I would just go and ask but it's a serious hassle to get anywhere near that place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...