New passport and 'transferring' Extension.

I would like someone to clarify, after receiving a new OZ passport, then having to re-apply again for a marriage extension, to be put in my new PP and as I am led to believe your original passport is cancelled when you apply, How soon must you go to Immigration on receiving your new PP, I would like to delay doing the extension by a month as I want to apply early for new PP. After all how would immigration know when i actually receive it. ?? hope that's not a too convoluted question.

You would not have apply for a new extension after getting a new passport unless they shortened your extension due to your passport expiring.

Immigration will transfer your stamps to the new passport.

In my opinion you should have your stamps transferred shortly after getting the new passport. Immigration does not have a fixed rule for when it should be done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

does the same apply to driving licences?  The bank I knew about and will do but not sure about the licences

Check out this thread.

Some say do nothing.

The process does not seem difficult.

Some wait till license renewal.

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I did it (transferred all stamps) last month while doing my 90 days and had the new PP on hand for over 2 months, Immigration did say anything

Thanks for that, as I have to go to BKK to apply for new PP I'd like to get that out of the way now, well after next week when I should get my new extension, as it takes months to receive + appointment time I want to delay the re-application/stress as long as poss.

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is not requirement to transfer stamps within certain timeframe. 

They must be transfered prior to applying for your next 12 month extension.

You can travel (including international) with both passports. 

Aside: Remember to update your bank with new pp details. 

My passport runs out in Jan and i get my new extension next week but thanks for reminding me about the banks.

Thanks for the replies.  My own licensing centre is only 10 minutes away and they are very helpful so I think that when my new passport arrives [still in UK processing] I will go along and ask them.  When I got my new licences they had not updated my address and they changed that when I asked them with no hassle.

The police here are very good but a bit strict on accuracy.  Never had one impolite or any issue whatsoever but I like to keep everything in as perfect order as I can.  

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 1:44 PM, DrJack54 said:

'...can travel...with both passports.' Are you sure about that? A cancelled British passport is cut on one corner and I assume that in some way other, PP offices at other embassies show that one is cancelled.

5 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

'...can travel...with both passports.' Are you sure about that? A cancelled British passport is cut on one corner and I assume that in some way other, PP offices at other embassies show that one is cancelled.

Of course you can. A current visa or residence permit in the old passport remains remains valid and can be shown in conjunction with a new passport.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:44 PM, DrJack54 said:

and D L T for licence,,,,,driving that is

2 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

and D L T for licence,,,,,driving that is

For Thai divers license many folk don't worry about it.

If renewing license then that would be good time to update the new pp details.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. 

14 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Of course you can. A current visa or residence permit in the old passport remains remains valid and can be shown in conjunction with a new passport.

Aren't you getting confused with visa etc. transferred to new pp which remains active whereas the old pp number is then cancelled? I have never heard of applying for a new pp with a current pp, receiving a new pp and both pp numbers remain active. Indeed, the UK advise not using current pp for travel once an application has been accepted. I assume other embassies have similar rules.

When I applied for my new oz PP a couple of years ago, I kept the old, still valid, one until the replacement was at the consulate ready for pick up. They then cancelled the old one, stamped it a reference to the new one sufficient for Immigration to transfer visas, extensions, etc., then handed it back with the new document.

Immigration transferred their visas, etc. when I applied for my next extension

Edited by Old Croc

23 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I have never heard of applying for a new pp with a current pp, receiving a new pp and both pp numbers remain active.

Both passports do not remain active.

The stamp in "old pp" states any visa etc remains valid and the new pp # is noted.

I have traveled with both passports internationally often. 

IMG_20220705_092923_102~2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Both passports do not remain active.

The stamp in "old pp" states any visa etc remains valid and the new pp # is noted.

I have traveled with both passports internationally often. 

IMG_20220705_092923_102~2.jpg

This from https://www.passports.gov.au/information-reportable-offenders#:~:text=If your passport has been,apply for a new passport. 'If your passport has been cancelled, it cannot be reactivated. If you try to use a cancelled passport, it will be impounded at the border and you will not be able to travel. You will need to apply for a new passport.'. Your picture clearly shows the pp is cancelled and therefor not 'active'. I suggest that you travelled on the new passport number using the valid visa. I suggest you are confusing a valid visa and valid pp. If one pp number is cancelled then the pp must be invalid.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

This from https://www.passports.gov.au/information-reportable-offenders#:~:text=If your passport has been,apply for a new passport. 'If your passport has been cancelled, it cannot be reactivated. If you try to use a cancelled passport, it will be impounded at the border and you will not be able to travel. You will need to apply for a new passport.'. Your picture clearly shows the pp is cancelled and therefor not 'active'. I suggest that you travelled on the new passport number using the valid visa. I suggest you are confusing a valid visa and valid pp. If one pp number is cancelled then the pp must be invalid.

That appears to be a case if a person only has the cancelled passport.

What has been stated on this topic you can use a valid visa or re-entry permit in the old cancelled passport by showing both passports when entering Thailand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That appears to be a case if a person only has the cancelled passport.

What has been stated on this topic you can use a valid visa or re-entry permit in the old cancelled passport by showing both passports when entering Thailand. 

What I am suggesting is that the cancelled pp is not used as the active pp and that the new pp number is being used for travel while the cancelled pp shows proof of a valid visa. A visa is not a pp and a pp is not visa and they are issued by different authorities. The visa issuing authority could (if it wished) cancel the visa but it cannot cancel a passport and vice versa. The picture provided shows clearly that the pp was cancelled therefore its number cannot be active...or are you suggesting that Australia allows both cancelled and renewal pp's to have active numbers?

• Haha 2