Bangkok Dismisses Requests to Turn Khao San Into Cannabis Hub

webfact

On 7/5/2022 at 12:37 PM, webfact said:

Jakkapan reminded the public that it is still illegal to sell cannabis-infused food and beverages in public,

So what's with the infused drinks, and something in your noodles, or baked into your cookies all about?

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

So what's with the infused drinks, and something in your noodles, or baked into your cookies all about?

Maybe it's one of those flexible laws that they have here.

You know, like the laws for zebra crossings, red lights, motorcycle helmets or using plastic bags to extort confessions, etc.

Can someone explain to me what the government's objective with cannabis is? I understand that the government wants to attract tourists to Thailand and they think cannabis will serve as an attraction. Do they think people will come here to take medicine together (less than 2% THC)?  Does cannabis make food taste better? What does the government think the attraction will be for cannabis tourists?

When government officials say legalizing cannabis will bring people to Thailand it sends the message that you can come here to party. Then when they say you cannot use it for recreation, it becomes confusing. What is their objective, for residents of SE Asia to come here to buy medicine because they cannot get it in their native countries?

When trying to decide how to regulate cannabis have they considered the effects THC has on people. I think they commingle the intoxication of cannabis with alcohol. I have never seen people get rowdy or aggressive  from smoking pot. Sure, some people might get out of hand, but I would bet it is the rare exception rather than the rule. How are the effects of cannabis different from alcohol? Once this is established then rational guidelines can be set in place. There are plenty of published reports on the effects of cannabis from other countries who have legalized it which could be used to research guidelines for regulation (number of hospitalizations, cases of overdose, crimes committed when under the influence of THC, road accidents, etc.). The Netherlands has had a policy of toleration of over 30 years. The USA would be a good place to study because even though it is one country, each state has set its own guidelines and laws. This would be a good way to compare and contrast what seems to work or not work. Then Thailand could apply what they learned to institute and maintain guidelines that fit Thai culture.

Are there any cannabis hubs in other countries? Thailand has a great opportunity to come up with something new. Cannabis could transition Thailand from LOS to  LOBS (land of bigger smiles). Or it could eventually trigger the old crackdown routine again. 

8 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

The USA would be a good place to study because even though it is one country, each state has set its own guidelines and laws.

The USA does not seem like the best country to get info/data from on this subject for MANY reasons. Possibly some isolated state's data could be useful.