I need to re-educate myself, immigration wise.

I returned to Thailand on July 4th after seeing my sister pass and then settling her affairs. I was gone for 4 months, weeks longer than I intended, and I believe I made a mistake about my permission to stay. I obtained a re-entry permit before leaving and utilized that on my return. My current permission to stay is the second year of a non OA and it expires on July 14.  Ladies, Gents, I just have no recollection of what my options are or even if they would be correct if I did under the current rules. I should have tried to enter on a regular tourist visa but then again I don't know if the immigration official would stamp me in that way seeing as I still had a current non O-A and re-entry stamp. In all my years here I've used the monthly income method and really don't want to get involved with the whole 800,000 THB on deposit thing. I am married to a Thai national. I live in Lamphun northern Thailand. Are land borders open? Are land crossing under different rule than air travel ? Sheech. Does Vientiane still require appointments? Suggestions are appreciated! Regards, Dogberry 

I am working at this on my own of course as being spoon feed information is not my style. But it's so easy to get behind on what's what isn't it.

Anyway, It was "interesting" to say the least what I was told at immigartion today. And no I won't say outside private conversation.

• Confused 1

Joe, I didn't have the confidence that I was correct doing what you just suggested at immigration today. I believed when I went in there today that the outcome would be an extension. I was told No. No time, Thai Holiday, Something Something, and offered an alternative I'm not happy to accept. Also, while I was gone to the USA I continued to support my Thai spouse with less than the 65,000 THB monthly requirement for a non OA retirement but more than the 40,000 THB required for marriage. In otherwords I have a full year of deposites into my Thai band account of 40,000+ monthly. Unless the monthly method has been eliminated shouldn't this meet immigrations own requirement of sufficient income?

34 minutes ago, Dogberry said:

Unless the monthly method has been eliminated shouldn't this meet immigrations own requirement of sufficient income?

If you have proof of 40k baht going into a Thai bank from abroad you can use it. The account would have to be in in your name only.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dogberry said:

offered an alternative I'm not happy to accept.

OK , it will cost you but easiest way out of your problem.

if that's what you mean ????

regards Worgeordie

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

OK , it will cost you but easiest way out of your problem.

if that's what you mean ????

regards Worgeordie

Yeah. It sucks and I'll do my best to avoid up till the last moment. Thank you and regards. Dogberry

20 hours ago, BritTim said:

I assume Lamphun is your local immigration office, and you intend it remain so for years to come. Under those circumstances, and given that you seem able to meet all the requirements for, not only the 60-day extension to visit your wife, but also the one-year extension based on income, do not cave in to pressure to pay facilitation fees. Once they know you can be pressured, you will never escape their clutches. Calmly, in a quiet, pleasant voice and without accusing them of anything, make clear that you know you are entitled to an extension of stay based on marriage, and that is what you intend doing. They may not like it, because it involves them in a lot of work they want to avoid, but they will have to comply.

I want so much for this to be as you described. I have everything needed to apply for the extension. It'll just come down to any nit-picking that may be brought into play. I would rather leave the country than be forced into using an agent. In my 9 years in Thailand I've not encountered a problem like this and in my stupid naivety it's gotton away from me. But I'm on a rally starting about an hour from now. Thanks for the reply, the encouragement and... wish me luck!

• Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you have proof of 40k baht going into a Thai bank from abroad you can use it. The account would have to be in in your name only.

Yes, In my name only.

59 minutes ago, Dogberry said:

I want so much for this to be as you described. I have everything needed to apply for the extension. It'll just come down to any nit-picking that may be brought into play. I would rather leave the country than be forced into using an agent. In my 9 years in Thailand I've not encountered a problem like this and in my stupid naivety it's gotton away from me. But I'm on a rally starting about an hour from now. Thanks for the reply, the encouragement and... wish me luck!

I'm the same and treat getting my extension as a 'mission' that so far has been accomplished by myself+wife.

I might add I agree that once you start paying "commissions'' they think you'll be an easy touch for anything else you may need from them.  good luck.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 11:25 AM, BritTim said:

They may not like it, because it involves them in a lot of work they want to avoid, but they will have to comply.

In this connection he could make the point that he was seeking a marriage, rather than retirement, extension so as to avoid having to comply with the mandatory health insurance requirement for OA visa holders past and present.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

In this connection he could make the point that he was seeking a marriage, rather than retirement, extension so as to avoid having to comply with the mandatory health insurance requirement for OA visa holders past and present.

A potential problem he may face is Immigrations refusal to allow an extension based on Thai spouse (no Insurance requirement) when he originally entered on a Non O-A Visa, which is specifically based on retirement and has an Insurance requirement. I'm aware of a couple on Non O-A's who were told to get a Non O if they wanted to apply for an extension based on Thai spouse.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

A potential problem he may face is Immigrations refusal to allow an extension based on Thai spouse (no Insurance requirement) when he originally entered on a Non O-A Visa, which is specifically based on retirement and has an Insurance requirement. I'm aware of a couple on Non O-A's who were told to get a Non O if they wanted to apply for an extension based on Thai spouse.

Thinking what you outline is where it has been first extension from the non O-A.

If had already had extensions to the non O-A based on retirement there is no reason why immigration would not allow change to based on marriage.

Clearly they may not like it as it involves more work. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If had already had extensions to the non O-A based on retirement there is no reason why immigration would not allow change to based on marriage.

The reasons being the Non O-A is applied for solely on the basis of retirement, as opposed to the Non O, which can be applied for numerous reasons.
The Non O-A also has the mandatory Insurance for extensions. I've witnessed Immigration telling foreigners on the Non O-A but married to Thais who attempted to change the reason of stay from retirement to Thai spouse, they need to get a Non O Visa. Of course, this was almost impossible last year.

I'm sure there have been previous reports before on this same issue.

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I'm sure there have been previous reports before on this same issue

There are MANY MANY people obtaining extensions from a non O-A based on marriage. Of course no insurance requirement. 

7 hours ago, Liquorice said:

The reasons being the Non O-A is applied for solely on the basis of retirement, as opposed to the Non O, which can be applied for numerous reasons.
The Non O-A also has the mandatory Insurance for extensions. I've witnessed Immigration telling foreigners on the Non O-A but married to Thais who attempted to change the reason of stay from retirement to Thai spouse, they need to get a Non O Visa. Of course, this was almost impossible last year.

I'm sure there have been previous reports before on this same issue.

Some immigration officials will look for all kinds of excuses for not accepting applications for marriage extensions. They hate them. Nevertheless, an entry on a Non O-A visa is as much a non immigrant entry as an entry on a Non O visa, Non B visa or Non Ed visa. Under the rules, Immigration is supposed to allow marriage extensions.