Beware glitch in online e-visa system that cost me $80US

10 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I can see how that could trip someone up. I will watch for that. Where did the form get your name with just the middle initial?

That's a good question. After I uploaded the image of my passport, the form populated the relevant boxes with the information on my passport which includes my full name with my middle name spelled out. When I typed my name in, I spelled it out. There was no place where I typed only my middle initial and no document I uploaded had only my middle initial. It seems that their system changed my middle name to my middle initial on its own (then inconveniently rejected me for that change).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There are times I wish Thai programmers (assuming they do not based on my experience) would beta test their e-systems intended for foreigners first with foreigners before release. Not only for filling in required data but also for logic of sequential steps.

Not all foreigners are equal with regard to language tradition and culture. In the subject case, what if the foreigner has no middle name or a hyphenated last name? Would that reject the application?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

There are times I wish Thai programmers (assuming they do not based on my experience) would beta test their e-systems intended for foreigners first with foreigners before release. Not only for filling in required data but also for logic of sequential steps.

Not all foreigners are equal with regard to language tradition and culture. In the subject case, what if the foreigner has no middle name or a hyphenated last name? Would that reject the application?

This is a new glitch. I did the e-visa exactly the same way with no glitches in November 2021. 

I am used to incompetence in Thai online systems. Actual malice is unusual. Some programmer has actually gone to the effort of silently corrupting your data entry. This is not just an inadvertent programming error. If he is reading this thread, the programmer is probably laughing himself silly.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If he is reading this thread, the programmer is probably laughing himself silly.

And no doubt he will receive an award for having pocketed 80 USD for his clients under allegedly false pretences.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am used to incompetence in Thai online systems. Actual malice is unusual. Some programmer has actually gone to the effort of silently corrupting your data entry. This is not just an inadvertent programming error. If he is reading this thread, the programmer is probably laughing himself silly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just copied and pasted some code they found somewhere, without thinking.

Many companies, especially in the U.S., shorten a middle name to just the initial, so if they happened to find a code snippet that does just that and didn't test it properly, that would also explain the outcome.