Re-entering after Visa Expires

I have a USA passport.  When my current visa (60 days tourst visa extended to 90 days) expires, can I leave Thailand and return on a 30 Day Visa Exemption without any problem?  Seems like things are more liberal than policies of five years ago.  Thanks in advance for the information.  

34 minutes ago, Merwan said:

I would be exiting and returning by air.  Thanks!

That will be fine 

Aside did you even consider a border bounce 

The visa exempt entry via land gives you 30 days and can be extended by 30.

In addition the onward flight often required by airline for visa exempt flight to thailand would not be required. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

First, your assumption that airport immigration are now less strict than in pre Covid days is probably incorrect.

You mention that you will be coming to the end of a 90-day stay. Have you recently had other periods in Thailand as a tourist? If so, returning by air for a visa exempt entry could run into problems.

A return by land has a limit of two visa exempt entries per calendar year. However, at almost all entry points, with that single limitation, receiving your visa exempt entry is a sure thing. By air, they closely scrutinise your immigration history as a tourist, and are inclined to reject the use of visa exempt entries by long stay tourists.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect it's still possible to get a Covid visa extension.  Before your time expires, go to Immigration and ask for a visa extension.  My brother was in Thailand for a year and a half on a tourist visa based on Covid extensions.  You can try calling Immigration at 1111 but sometimes the information is unreliable.  If you have the money and your visa still has 15 days remaining (and you're over 50), you can ask to apply for a retirement visa.  Go with a Thai person if possible.  Anything is possible in Thailand!  Good luck!

11 minutes ago, barefootbangkok said:

I suspect it's still possible to get a Covid visa extension.  Before your time expires, go to Immigration and ask for a visa extension.  My brother was in Thailand for a year and a half on a tourist visa based on Covid extensions.  You can try calling Immigration at 1111 but sometimes the information is unreliable.  If you have the money and your visa still has 15 days remaining (and you're over 50), you can ask to apply for a retirement visa.  Go with a Thai person if possible.  Anything is possible in Thailand!  Good luck!

Covid extensions are available till July 25.

The OP did not indicate intention to stay for a period that would require a non O retirement. Nor state he was 50+

Simply asked if an exit and reentry via visa exempt is possible.

Correct.  That was all the information I needed.  I just wanted to know what was possible.  Immigration rules are confusing, and I never want to find myself in a bad situation.

Edited by Merwan
spelling