Hapless "crewcut" would-be robber soon in custody after attempted theft from Chonburi gold shop

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Police in Chonburi soon had a man who attempted to steal a gold bracelet from a Chonburi gold shop in custody and performing a reenactment.

Siam Rath reported that on Monday a man with a short back and sides haircut had gone into the Saeng Suwan gold shop after arriving on a motorcycle. 

He made it look as though he was interested in buying a two baht weight bracelet and put it on his wrist.

He then tried to run out but the automatic door had slammed shut.

He took off the bracelet and gave it back then smashed down the door and fled. 

Khomsan or Golf, aged 33, was soon arrested at a house in Pan Thong district by the Don Hua Lor police after they obtained a warrant.

He was taken back to the shop to "wai" and do a reenactment.

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Shop owner Rachaya, 32, said she suspected trouble when she saw the would-be robber's hands shaking. 

After he failed to get out she came up with a ruse that there was a man out back in the shop to worry him resulting in his fleeing by damaging the door. 

Police said that Golf was formerly in the army and liked the haircut so he stuck with it in civilian life. 

He is now in the custody of the police awaiting his prosecution. 

A two baht weight bracelet would have a value of just over 60,000 baht, notes ASEAN NOW.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

1. Credit where it's due: Well done to the police.

2. Luckily these snatch theives usually don't carry a weapon - otherwise the staff could be at much greater risk.

3. A criminal record like that (where I'm from) seriously restricts getting a government job and prevents visas to certain countries ... so is no small matter.

4. The crew-cut aspect is neither here nor there ... but helps us differentiate these fools from the others: "the guy who left his wallet behind" ... " "the guy whose bike number-plate fell off" ...

5. Wonder if he'll do serious jail time.

Gold shops--cameras everywhere --electric doors  etc etc.

I went to a (not so Hi-So) wedding just before pandemic  both Thais, the bride sat with a big smile in front of her 2 large large plates one with over half million Baht Sin-Sot the other with a large pile of envelopes from us guests.

If I was desperate enough to take a gun -I know what sort of venue I would consider visiting.

• Like 1