Consequences, fines if no thai driving licence after 3 month in Thailand on NON OA Visa

stat

What could happen if you are 3 month in TH but have not applied for a Thai driving licence. Of course I have a valid international driving licence (correct 1968 version). I am most concerned reagrding insurance problems if one has an accident. Would like to save the 4H hassle of applying for a thai driving licence. Is a 90 day report accepted instead of a resident certificate for the application in case I decided to apply for one? Traffic stop check does not check your pp or am I mistaken?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, stat said:

I am most concerned reagrding insurance problems if one has an accident ...

Is a 90 day report accepted instead of a resident certificate for the application in case I decided to apply for one? Traffic stop check does not check your pp or am I mistaken?

No, 90-day reports are not acceptable.

A traffic stop could well involve your being asked for your passport but not very likely if you show a Thai licence or a valid foreign one ...unless they're suspicious of you.

In my experience, the insurance companies do not check how long you have been in Thailand/using a foreign licence when a claim is made as long as your home licence is valid.   

I made three substantial claims to Viriyah when I was using an old UK paper licence that I had been driving on for years here without any questions.  All the claims were accepted and paid.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stat said:

What could happen if you are 3 month in TH but have not applied for a Thai driving licence. Of course I have a valid international driving licence (correct 1968 version).

There is no law which says you have to get a Thai driving license within 3 months, so nothing will happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

A traffic stop could well involve your being asked for your passport but not very likely if you show a Thai licence or a valid foreign one ...unless they're suspicious of you.

In my experience, the insurance companies do not check how long you have been in Thailand/using a foreign licence when a claim is made as long as your home licence is valid.   

I made three substantial claims to Viriyah when I was using an old UK paper licence that I had been driving on for years here without any questions.  All the claims were accepted and paid.

How long ago is that?I assume you owned the vehicle?

What would happen if you rent ?

Will travel insurance cover a tourist?Many travel insurance companies do not cover

you on a motorbike.

According to the strict letter of Thai Law (UN Traffic Treaty 1949 and Thai Traffic Act 1979), an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty. Under other circumstances you will require an IDP.  My experience of bigger car hire companies (e.g. Hertz) is that they DO ask for an IDP.

IDP or home country licence is valid for up to 60 days on a tourist visa or 90 days on a non-O.  Beyond that you should get a Thai licence.

Travel insurance is another matter and you need to read your policy. Some don't cover travel on two wheels, some cover up to 200cc etc..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jvs said:
10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

How long ago is that?I assume you owned the vehicle?

What would happen if you rent ?

Will travel insurance cover a tourist?Many travel insurance companies do not cover

you on a motorbike.

Five or six years ago with vehicles I owned.   I don't know what a rental insurer's attitude would be.

Re travel insurance, who else but tourists would have travel insurance?  I don't understand that question in this context.