Derek Chauvin gets 21 years in jail for violating George Floyd's civil rights

CharlieH

Derek Chauvin speaks ahead of his sentencing

Derek Chauvin has been given a 21-year jail sentence for violating George Floyd's civil rights.

Chauvin will serve the federal sentence at the same time he serves his 22-and-a-half year sentence on state charges of murder and manslaughter.

The former police officer pinned George Floyd to the pavement outside a Minneapolis corner shop for more than nine minutes as he lay dying on May 25, 2020.

Chauvin was told by US District Judge Paul Magnuson what he did was "simply wrong" and "offensive".

Mr Magnuson said: "I really don't know why you did what you did"

Sky News Story

image.png.3598851404f61fe29603840ffed3fc6c.png

33 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Mr Magnuson said: "I really don't know why you did what you did"

Perhaps because Chauvin was a racist and a thug.

Floyd may have been a criminal, may have been " no angel" as they say, but he was murdered in plain view, during an attack which took place over some time.

What I have always found surprising, no remarkable, is that none of the other police officers present, or for that matters the bystanders, intervened effectively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Derek Chauvin has been given a 21-year jail sentence

Good, longer would be better but let’s just hope he fails to be paroled before the 21 year sentence is up. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was a direct reply to a post .

I responded to a persons claims in a post 

Stop trolling and deflecting 

And your post was a distraction. The subject brought up by another poster was why another case involving a white victim did not cause as much "outrage" as Floyd's case. 

Isn't protesting a way to express outrage?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, candide said:

And your post was a distraction. The subject brought up by another poster was why another case involving a white victim did not cause as much "outrage" as Floyd's case. 

Isn't protesting a way to express outrage?

I was replying to your post in which you stated that the reason for the BLM protests were because no action had been taken against George Chauvin and I poited out that............................................scrool back

The question was , "why didnt the people who protested against Floyds death, also protest against the white guys death (Tippeh?) ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I was replying to your post in which you stated that the reason for the BLM protests were because no action had been taken against George Chauvin and I poited out that............................................scrool back

The question was , "why didnt the people who protested against Floyds death, also protest against the white guys death (Tippeh?) ? 

You did not read well.

My reply was general, I mentioned "such crimes", not this crime, as the poster was complaining that: "White Lives clearly do not matter and it is actually considered racist to say otherwise."

"So what are you complaining about? Black people deciding to take this matter into their own hands while others were doing nothing against such crimes? There was nothing done about such crimes before BLM (be the victims black or white). BLM was focused on helping black people but at least, they did something!"

Moreover, I did not address the issue of arrest in the post you commented (nor did the poster I was replying to). I did address it in some way in my first post, stressing that in Floyd's case, videos have been diffused at once, and not three years later.

If you want to comment what I really wrote, you are welcome!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candide said:

People who did not protest complaining about others not protesting! ????

So what are you complaining about? Black people deciding to take this matter into their own hands while others were doing nothing against such crimes? There was nothing done about such crimes before BLM (be the victims black or white). BLM was focused on helping black people but at least, they did something!

Then we had "All lives matter". Fine, why not? However, what did "all lives matter" do to fight police crimes? Nothing! They just complain about a dominantly black organisation being (allegedly selectively) very active, while they are doing nothing. Like you!

Like most people, when someone gets killed at the hands of the police I assume that the person killed was to blame in some way by not complying with the police instructions and/or acting in a threatening manner.   The media doesn't tell us about the white people unjustly killed (such as Tony Timpa) so how would people even know about it to protest?

In the case of George Floyd it was an unjust killing and justice has been served and it was served very quickly.  It appears America has even found the time to try Chauvin again for a different charge, yet still cannot find the time to provide justice for the exact same incident that happened to a white guy several years prior.   They have, however, found the time to promote the guy who did it. 

Justice shouldn't just be about which group shouts the loudest or burns the most buildings down in a "mostly peaceful" riot, or the colour of someones skin, but that is exactly how it appears to work in America.   

Edited by James105
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, James105 said:

Like most people, when someone gets killed at the hands of the police I assume that the person killed was to blame in some way by not complying with the police instructions and/or acting in a threatening manner.   The media doesn't tell us about the white people unjustly killed (such as Tony Timpa) so how would people even know about it to protest?

In the case of George Floyd it was an unjust killing and justice has been served and it was served very quickly.  It appears America has even found the time to try Chauvin again for a different charge, yet still cannot find the time to provide justice for the exact same incident that happened to a white guy several years prior.   They have, however, found the time to promote the guy who did it. 

Justice shouldn't just be about which group shouts the loudest or burns the most buildings down in a "mostly peaceful" riot, or the colour of someones skin, but that is exactly how it appears to work in America.   

I typed Tony Timpa pinned on Google and found several articles, not only local news but also the nytimes, the guardian, usatoday, etc... So It's not true the media don't tell us

I also found out It's not over as the Timpa family has been allowed by the SCOTUS to sue Dallas cop's again.

Anyway, we don't disagree on the fact that It's shocking that It's difficult to get fair justice without social media outrage or protests. Actually, we fully agree on it. Expressing outrage should not ne necessary in order to obtain justice.

We just disagree on the fact that people who are showing outrage or are protesting to get justice (I.e. BLM) should be blamed because they allegedly do it selectively, while others do nothing. Blame it on those who don't move their ass, not on people who do move their ass.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, candide said:

I typed Tony Timpa pinned on Google and found several articles, not only local news but also the nytimes, the guardian, usatoday, etc... So It's not true the media don't tell us

I just did the same and all the results come from 2021 , five years after his death .

There may have been some media coverage of Tony , bit it was on the same scale of Floyds death .

Floyds death was headline  news the World over , Tonys death hardly got a mention anywhere 

8 minutes ago, candide said:

We just disagree on the fact that people who are showing outrage or are protesting to get justice (I.e. BLM) should be blamed because they allegedly do it selectively, while others do nothing. Blame it on those who don't move their ass, not on people who do move their ass.

Actually I would blame the media.   Even if they gave the "white guy knee on neck" incident the same coverage, it would be impossible to rile up white folks as they would do the same as me - shrug shoulders and assume the white guy wasn't complying with the police and was in some way to blame.   It would be impossible to incite anywhere close to the level of violence and rioting the media was able to incite following the Floyd incident so they probably didn't see the benefit in reporting on Timpa. 

I think the media quite like to rile folks up who are easily riled up (woke people/BLM), incite a riot and then watch viewing figures increase as they report on the rioting.   There were 19 deaths caused by the BLM riots of 2020 and I think we could say quite comfortably that those 19 people would be alive today if the media gave the same level of coverage to Floyd as they did to Timpa.   I doubt any of those 19 dead people will get any justice either. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I just did the same and all the results come from 2021 , five years after his death .

There may have been some media coverage of Tony , bit it was on the same scale of Floyds death .

Floyds death was headline  news the World over , Tonys death hardly got a mention anywhere 

I got mainly 2019 (the video), and 2022 (the killer promoted, and SCOTUS decision). It's a pity it did not raise more interest.

Anyway, who is to blame for the lack of justice in this case? The City Police who covered it up? The AG and the justice system? Or mainstream media and BLM?

• Like 1

A black man handcuffed and face down on the floor is murdered in cold blood by a cop, the world sees the video.

The cop gets dealt the Justice he deserves.

A bunch of right wingers start howling, pouring out whataboutary and generally airing their bruised sense of grievance.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, James105 said:

Actually I would blame the media.   Even if they gave the "white guy knee on neck" incident the same coverage, it would be impossible to rile up white folks as they would do the same as me - shrug shoulders and assume the white guy wasn't complying with the police and was in some way to blame.   It would be impossible to incite anywhere close to the level of violence and rioting the media was able to incite following the Floyd incident so they probably didn't see the benefit in reporting on Timpa. 

I think the media quite like to rile folks up who are easily riled up (woke people/BLM), incite a riot and then watch viewing figures increase as they report on the rioting.   There were 19 deaths caused by the BLM riots of 2020 and I think we could say quite comfortably that those 19 people would be alive today if the media gave the same level of coverage to Floyd as they did to Timpa.   I doubt any of those 19 dead people will get any justice either. 

It's an outmoded view. Nowadays, whoever is concerned (right wing, left wing, BLM), it all goes through social media when there is a protest. It's only (relatively) old folks like us who are paying so much attention to traditional media.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A black man handcuffed and face down on the floor is murdered in cold blood by a cop, the world sees the video.

The cop gets dealt the Justice he deserves.

A bunch of right wingers start howling, pouring out whataboutary and generally airing their bruised sense of grievance.

The question raised was why did Floyds death get so much more media publicity than Tonys death did , when they were both very similar situations and deaths .

Can you answer that question  ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The question raised was why did Floyds death get so much more media publicity than Tonys death did , when they were both very similar situations and deaths .

Can you answer that question  ?

It’s not the topic of the thread, it’s whataboutary.

You could start an online campaign to drum up protest, that might get you an answer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not the topic of the thread, it’s whataboutary.

You could start an online campaign to drum up protest, that might get you an answer.

If you cannot answer a   question asked, then there's no need to reply at all 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1