Border Run at Sadao

Hi there,

can anyone advise if I can do a border run at Sadao and return same day please? I am going with a non OA, which will be voided on exit then reenter with a 30 day visa exempt (UK passport).

I have vacc cert, 10k baht and the Malaysian pass will have been completed. TIA

On 7/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, uptome1946 said:

MySejahtera app in Hat Yai the night before but had a few problems entering data.  The Malaysian official helped me complete the Travel Pass when I entered. 

Yip, that whole MySejahtera thing is a nightmare.

It was best to register through their alternate web portal first, not phone app with QR screenshot of vaccines. I had to reach out to them on twitter as their phone app support was awful.

I had to get them to complete it also on arrival....utter mess vs thaipass before.

Usually tech savvy, the Malaysia app was a brickwall for me.

Here is website interface - faster.

https://www.mysafetravel.gov.my/application

Edited by freedomnow

On 7/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

You could do a border hop at the Sadao border crossing to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Can I literally go through the Malaysian arrivals hall, maybe have a coffee then go straight back into Thailand? Just wondering about lots of questions like, why are you changing OA after 11 years or any question to refuse me entry

The Malaysian Immigration official gave me 90 days which in the past was also my experience as an American.  There were two Thai women and one was crying in the hall when I entered again on 5 July. 

The official would only give the younger woman a 7 day stamp.  They had been pleading their case for some time and the older woman was saying,  "I need my friend to help me in my new restaurant".   The Malaysian official was not sympathetic.

I had a Thai phone with no data service but the WiFi immediately connected at the immigration office.  No problems at all.

I misspelled the port where the ferry connects to Langkawi.  It is Kuala Perlis.  I missed the last ferry on 1 July but there is another ferry leaving from another town about 40 kilometers away.  I made that ferry just in time but learned the hard way that Malaysian clocks are an hour ahead of Thai clocks and that Langkawi Island gets lots of weekend visitors so best to buy ferry tickets well ahead.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

You could do a border hop at the Sadao border crossing to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Ubonjoe,

will I be able to leave, void my OA visa and return on the same day with a new visa exempt 30 days at Sadao as I read on the net that immigration may have stopped this at border crossings

2 minutes ago, beachbuggy said:

will I be able to leave, void my OA visa and return on the same day with a new visa exempt 30 days at Sadao as I read on the net that immigration may have stopped this at border crossings

No problem to return the same day but I have heard of Malaysia insisting you stay at least one night.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

July 13 stamped into Malaysia at Sadao, no mention of any vaccine cert.

If you drive your Thai registered car into Malaysia you need to get insurance BEFORE Thai immigration, not after Malaysian immigration as before. You also need TM2 ( 2 copies) and TM3 if applicable. You also need "Touch  and go" card to get on Malaysian  highways.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, beachbuggy said:

Just wondering about lots of questions like, why are you changing OA after 11 years or any question to refuse me entry

My experience at Nong Khai: officer didn't want me leave.

Sent me to some room.
? Re-entry permit. Officer thought I had forgotten.

No thanks! I had to persuade three officers that I want to cancel the visa.

On return some raised eyebrow and I explained explicitly that I want 30 days to cancel the visa.

No big hassle.