Bank of Thailand to let baht swing with market factors

webfact

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Didn't they do this before? Around 1996 or something like that ????

Yes they did.

And also in 1996 there was way too much borrowing against poorly priced assets

Just saying

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

determining the value of a currency cannot be done with just one comparison - it has to be a collection of currencies (basket), in the grand scheme of things the BAHT has remained neutral when compared to $ sterling and EUR - the $ has gained recently against them all

You know more than me, what I do know is unscientific  on going small bet with some regular expats living here. 

Everytime I read in the Bangkok or internet complaint or suggestions from government leaders,  banks etc regarding the strength or weakness. I put my bet that now it will swing a bit the other way regardless 9-10 that is the case. When it was brought up a few days before here it was 36.40, just happen I ship Wise money over and today it is what. ????

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Can but hope they are using up all their reserves and the baht will crash in the coming months/year

Might be chancy or it might be beneficial.

The theoretical ideals behind floating a currency exchange rate is determined by the manipulated health and fluctuation of the global economy.......which is largely based on fantasy and false value - especially as such applies to particular economies/cultures. 

Why not make up one's own rate......as most have been doing anyway for generations. The whole process is quite silly and delusion filled. There isn't any real wealth anywhere and largely based on nothing. 

A noted factor that is looming for real and is considered - an increasing trend among much of the influential trading/economic block to remove itself from relying on the U.S. dollar as an inclusive measuring stick. This reality is upon us currently and will forever change the manner in which we view wealth and value.......most certainly the silly illusion of comparative currency exchange rating.