Bangkok to Revive Chatuchak Market

webfact

image.jpeg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - Bangkok authorities are joining hands with the State Railway of Thailand to revive the famous Chatuchak market that has seen lower activity in recent years due to the pandemic. City Hall hopes this revival and renovation will make the market a world-class tourist destination.

Following a meeting with State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Niruj Maneepun, Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said Chatuchak market, which is situated on SRT property, remains under the management of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

He also said the city will be working closely with the SRT to set up a new market committee in order to manage their joint contract, as well as further develop Chatuchak market.

Concerning debt matters between the city and the SRT, the Bangkok governor said they can be settled based on the existing contract. However, he said the most important issue at the moment is how to handle an influx of tourists while total vendors remain low.

The BMA has also discussed with the SRT plans to renovate roads, plant trees around railways, develop affordable rental spaces for low-income earners, regulate hawkers, and manage public parks.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-07-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

I always wondered why the SRT left so many opportunities go to waste. It maybe be a lack of intelligence or funds. Using old carriages as coffee shops or restaurants would have attracted people but instead they dumped a few at the Railway Park north of the market and let them rot. Suan Rot Fai indeed. 

I used to take friends to the market who bought clothing and trinkets. They raved over the atmosphere and colour. Not sure that atmosphere can be imposed by gubernatorial will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

It's not so much about high numbers of tourists but more to the point is the fact that many of the "sois" within the market are completly devoid of vendors. The central sections of the market are mostly shuttered and very little to purchase. The road around the outside has many places open though. Fair to say the market is a shadow of it's former crowded experience.

I actually expected them to close it completely, as that's some valuable real estate.  Or at least downsize it, and put the remaining vendors in 1 spot, and utilize the rest, for something else.  Seems to be more shuttered shops than open ones, and makes for lots of useless walking. 

Popped in during the 'situation' and thought it might be better without the throngs of tourist ... that was a mistake.  More boring then usual, though could easily walk the endless sois of emptiness ????

It really is past it's life span, and with few exceptions, just a tourist trap IMHO

Does everything in TH have to be called 'world class', as it sets you up for major disappointment when the reality is anything but.   Being large is not world class, it's just large.

"will make the market a world-class tourist destination."

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Most of the market is still not geared towards tourists at all, and even the parts that are (souvenirs, etc) have fair prices and zero aggressive sales tactics. 

That's one opinion I disagree with, as overly touristy with pricing to suit.  Our experiences anyway.  We only popped in, because usually across the street at Or Tor Kor market for a munch & picking something up when in the area.  Always hopeful something at JJ changed, but always disappointed, and felt yet another wasted visit.  Certainly wouldn't return.

Zero aggressive sales tactics, is probably a result of window shoppers, like ourselves, never, rarely, buying anything, so they've learned not to waste their time.

Food vendors are the only ones I've noticed with customers spending money, as high traffic, and people got to eat & drink.  

It's a giant (not world class) flea market with tourist pricing.  You see folks walking around munching ice cream or crepes with a beverage, not carrying bags of shopping purchases.

• Like 1

I live near Chatuchak (less than 10 minutes walk) and I regularly see tourists wandering into the weekend market via the flower and plant section during the week. No wonder so many post photos and video of shuttered shops, which hit instagram, ticktock and vlogs if they visit while it is largely "closed". It makes a great story to tell the world that Chatuchak is dead, but in reality its busy again on weekends when it is all open, although not back at the heyday yet. I think its a more pleasant place to visit now that it isn't rammed full of people.

A lot of regular  tourists and visitors to Chatuchak also don't realise that the weekend market is indeed a weekend market only. There are plenty of furniture and decorative shops open on Kamphaeng Phet 2 Road near JJ M.

The total area of the 3 parks around Chatuchak must constitute some of the largest area of green space in Bangkok and yet little has been done to enhance their appeal as a stand alone destination. Definitely beautiful to visit.

25 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

The total area of the 3 parks around Chatuchak must constitute some of the largest area of green space in Bangkok and yet little has been done to enhance their appeal as a stand alone destination. Definitely beautiful to visit.

Agree, lots of green. 

It was a shame they closed the park during covid. 

• Like 1

I haven't been there in forever, I might as well go visit again. I really enjoyed going to the Lumphini night market, easy access from MRT and liked the atmosphere. The Safari restaurant was fun too and I remember having ostrich steak there once and it was actually tasty. Too bad it closed after the red shirts protests if I recall.

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

It's not so much about high numbers of tourists but more to the point is the fact that many of the "sois" within the market are completly devoid of vendors. The central sections of the market are mostly shuttered and very little to purchase. The road around the outside has many places open though. Fair to say the market is a shadow of it's former crowded experience.

That's a real shame. Glad I enjoyed it in its heyday in the 90's and early 00's. 

On 7/11/2022 at 4:01 AM, webfact said:

Bangkok authorities are joining hands with the State Railway of Thailand to revive the famous Chatuchak market that has seen lower activity in recent years due to the pandemic. City Hall hopes this revival and renovation will make the market a world-class tourist destination.

I hope this time around they get it a bit more organised.. before it became a rat-run.

15 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I really enjoyed going to the Lumphini night market, easy access from MRT and liked the atmosphere.

I used to enjoy this market too. It had a fantastic Beer Garden with a big stage and a retractable roof for when it rained.

A Beer Garden like this, at Chatuchak could be a big attraction.

• Like 1