Parental visa...latest requirements, any changes?

Hi all. Be renewing my Parental visa early next month and just wondering if any changes from last year? I am on an O/A. Still not need for medical insurance for the Parent visa? Many thanks in advance :-)

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been no changes for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon being the parent of a Thai.

No insurance will be required to apply for the extension.

Hi...I am doing my second extension based on my son later this year.

Current extension finishes mid Nov and planning to apply mid October (Udon Thani). I have 2 questions..

(1) Does the 400,000 seasoned in the bank account have to be the bank 2 or 3 months before the date of application in mid October..

(2) Once the application is done, when is it safe to reduce the bank balance below 400,000. If I remember correctly, last year I applied mid October (30 days prior to visa ending) and didn't get my extension from immigration until mid December...30 days consideration period from end of my then visa.

TIA for confirmation 

1 hour ago, gavlar said:

Hi...I am doing my second extension based on my son later this year.

Current extension finishes mid Nov and planning to apply mid October (Udon Thani). I have 2 questions..

(1) Does the 400,000 seasoned in the bank account have to be the bank 2 or 3 months before the date of application in mid October..

(2) Once the application is done, when is it safe to reduce the bank balance below 400,000. If I remember correctly, last year I applied mid October (30 days prior to visa ending) and didn't get my extension from immigration until mid December...30 days consideration period from end of my then visa.

TIA for confirmation 

You can actually apply 45 days before.

I would have it in for 3 months to be on the safe side. All IO seem to have different ideas. Best  thing to do is get your missus to call them and ask. Mind you if someone tells you the wrong thing will make no difference if another officer has different ideas. The law on the parental visa states you only need the money in the bank the day you apply for a parent visa ie no seasoning but my IO and as far as I know from reports here most offices require 2-3 months. They seem to make up their own rules office to office.

I think you are supposed to keep your balance at 400k right up until it is actually approved which makes sense as you can apply 45 days earlier and I guess you are required to have that balance on the day of the new extension starts. Having said that in 4 or 5 extensions I always had my passbook updated and ready but was never asked for it...not that it means they wont ask this year. Better safe than sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gavlar said:

TIA for confirmation 

Can you not remember if they checked money in the bank last year when you picked up your new extension ?  I applied one month ago and just picked up mine yesterday in Trat and as usual they never checked money again. 

2 hours ago, gavlar said:

1. The rules for a extension based upon being the parented of a Thai does not mention any amount of time for the 400k baht to be in the bank. But many offices want it to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

2. Some offices want it to be in the bank until you return to get your get your one year extension stamp. I don't recall Udon immigration want that. If they want that proof they will tell you when you apply for the extension.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Can you not remember if they checked money in the bank last year when you picked up your new extension ?  I applied one month ago and just picked up mine yesterday in Trat and as usual they never checked money again. 

I can remember the last 5 years they never checked or asked when I picked up the completed extension approval, but I am pretty sure they are quite within their rights to do so. And don't forget these parental extensions are sent to the Regional head offices to be approved...they are not done locally. Also remember things change, management and staff of offices change, sometimes with new ideas. Having said that once your extension is approved and returned and you are called to pick it up.... it's already done and dusted and I can't see them making a fuss or extra work for themselves. But again, in my book and unless you really need the money for something else better be safe than sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Last year I left the money in my bank just in case they asked but they didn't. 

I was just wondering if they could ask as part of the conditions for giving me my passport with the extension.

Just now, gavlar said:

Last year I left the money in my bank just in case they asked but they didn't. 

I was just wondering if they could ask as part of the conditions for giving me my passport with the extension.

I always do the same but....up to them init. not sure this rule could be invoked after  you've applied though;

copy2.jpg.ea66794a25a4a07a71e11af2f18bb28b.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Having said that once your extension is approved and returned and you are called to pick it up.... it's already done and dusted and I can't see them making a fuss or extra work for themselves.

Agree with that, they would have to send it off again to be checked then go back again what they going to do check it yet again.

• Thanks 1