Actor Kills Garbage Collector In Car Crash

sriracha john

Given the information that has come out, I agree that a suspended sentence would be appropriate- and a suspended driver's license, as well.

"Steven"

Agreed, especially as he has accepted total responsibility and is committed to compensating the family for their tragic loss.

Not that it makes up for the death of course.

marshbags :o

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noom was on TV last night in a highly publicised event where he went to see the dead ladies husband & make a very long and emotional apology.

He may be an actor - but it looked like he really meant it.

Cheers,

Soundman.

If I had to make that kind of apology then I would not want it to be highly publicised. Not everything needs to be done in front of the TV cameras.

I don't think it is up to the person in question to decide. If you are famous, there is no privacy.

Oh dear, it would seem i have a gremlin in the works that,s causing repeat postings.

Basically what is happening i,ve noticed is that when i try to post, it doesn,t respond and stalls.

On re trying i sometimes get the duplication as i assumed it hasn,t posted. ????????

I now open another window to observe if the post has been accepted even though it initially appears not to be the case.

Apologies to admin and members if it,s self inflicted or something relevant to my computer.

:o

marshbags

Don't worry Marshbags, it's been happening to me for three days now. I've cluttered the forum with so many duplicate posts it's getting embarrassing. Same exact scenario as you've described. Doubt it's your computer.

Sornram's mother, Mayuree, told reporters that her son was exhausted and would later give testimony to police. "I'd like to apologise to the family of the dead woman on behalf of my son. No one wanted this to happen and my son insists he will assist the family of the dead woman," Mayuree said.
Mayuree also met with Nares and paid respects to Pitploen before accompanying the family to Wat Kohsuwannaram, where the funeral will take place.
The actor's mother, Mayuree, vowed to take financial responsibility for the death of scrap collector Pitpern Takomad. She showed up at the Nitivej Forensic Institute at the City Police Hospital to offer a ritual apology to the 59-year-old woman killed by the car driven by her TV star son.

Interesting that several days ago the Daily News was reporting that Sornram was saying that he had gone to his mother's house earlier in the day for a meal and that his mother was the one that gave him the pills that eventually contributed heavily to his falling asleep and running over the lady killing her.

I must admit I rushed to judge on this one. Since 90% of accidents I've seen in Thailand result in someone fleeing or attempting to flee the scene, I had no problem believing initial reports he did.

He seems very contrite for his actions, and I have no doubts for his sincerity. However, those who ask if others have been similarly careless are missing the point. Just because others are equally careless does nothing to absolve the unlucky ones who don't get away with it of responsibility for the consequenses.

Edited by cdnvic

So stupid, he didnt murder someone, he tragically and accidentally killed someone and I know this has devastated him, he is definately NOT like alot of Hi-so Thais in Bangkok that wouldn't give a rats butt who they killed. He's a truly nice and kind human being but he works way too much. The guy juggles concerts, movie shoots and his daily TV shoots among other things, he should be crucified for pushing too hard and making a mistake that could happen too any person working their rear off to be successful? I dont think so.

Damian

As I've never been so criminally negligent as to voluntarily deprive myself of sleep to an extreme level, then voluntarily taken drugs on top of that, and as a result subsequently fallen asleep and run over a woman with a heavy car killing her in front of her husband...

I'll step up and throw a pebble at him.

This goes beyond the realm of "accident".... and that's why he's been criminally charged.

Edited by sriracha john

bIfklUM.jpg

Rescue volunteers clear the wrecked BMW of Sornram Theppitak from a crash scene in Lat Phrao. A woman who was collecting garbage for recycling was killed instantly on Wednesday night when the actor’s car ploughed into her.

The Nation

====================================

yep, I've definitely never been criminally responsible for killing someone.

I really, really don't get it !

it's an accident, the only reason why so many insist on calling it criminal is simply to express your moral superiority, which is of course the first sign that you don't have any what so ever !

did he do it on purpose ?

don't you get the difference between a bad judgment or an intentional criminal act ?

it's not a crime ! what a lot of BS !

being extreme left and undermining society with such a self-righteous anarchistic behavior ... that's a crime !

(meaning you should respect his innocents until proven guilty, you're being disrespectful towards the fundamental principals of a democratic society, it's not your right to judge!)

(alleged !! is the answer to the next reply)

And my guess is the people in "lets call him a murderer" camp haven’t had anyone they love run over by a tired driver which could cloud their ordinary judgement. Of corse your going to be angry if your the relative of the victim!

They would probably react much worse if the dreaded thing did happen to them though than someone who can forgive and see humans for what they are. Everyone makes the same mistakes; unfortunately for an unlucky few the consequences are much worse.

Edited by madjbs

I'm shocked how easily people use the word criminal here ... it was an accident !

he who's without sin may trow the first stone !

Rubbish when you fall asleep at the wheel its not an accident!! When you set out to drive you assume responsibility for your mental state. If your'e tired you dont drive. If you feel tired you stop and get some rest.

He'll get off easy. He's HiSo and she was dirt to anyone of the same. Very sad how evil people can be.

What outcome would you think appropriate?

Treating all people the same in Thailand would be a great start!!!!! no Hi so or Low so instead you just get "so so"!!!!!!

it's an accident, the only reason why so many insist on calling it criminal is simply to express your moral superiority, which is of course the first sign that you don't have any what so ever !

don't you get the difference between a bad judgment or an intentional criminal act ?

being extreme left and undermining society with such a self-righteous anarchistic behavior ... that's a crime !

<snip>

So, let me get this straight. Because he didn't set out with the intention of killing someone (granted, that seems to be true), it's OK? It's not a crime?

He voluntarily got into a car whilst unfit to drive, voluntarily started the engine & voluntarily drove it. Does he not have the mental capacity to foresee that his actions could have possibly caused harm to himself or others? If not, then he should not have a licence in the first place. If he is intelligent & aware enough to make that connection, then he did do wrong.

Would you still be excusing him if he had driven drunk? If not, what is the difference? He was unfit to drive & he must have known that he felt very tired/woozy from medicine. He took a gamble. That gamble resulted in the death of someone else. To me, that is criminal, although I don't know how it stands in Thai law.

The definition of a crime does not include the fact that it was committed intentionally, AFAIK. Otherwise, manslaughter would not be a crime, would it?

People again are judging things by their western standard. People have to understand that the person in question haven't lived a life in the west where he would be constantly reminded of road(or whatever) safety. It would have been just an ordinary thing for every bloody thai person in this country to drive in that state! Don't people get it? And no one here is looking for excuses! We are looking for explanations why things occur!

Imagine taking a canibal to town and you suddenly found he had killed someone. Do you simply think he is just one of the many hundreds of murderers around or do you try to figure out why he did it? I guess people cannot think that far?

I just saw on TV news showing a girl, 11 yrs old, drunk, took her parents car, and was doing 160 km/h on the roads whilst being chased by police until she hit a lamp post and stopped, in the US. What if you are the parents of that girl and she killed someone? Why was she let behind the wheel when she is only 11 and drunk??????

Yes I agree. It's about showing moral superiority! Most human beings are not capable of being honest enough to themselves. They can't accept the fact that they themselves could also be the ones who commit sins! They like to dream of how good a person themselves are to get satisfaction.

I'm shocked how easily people use the word criminal here ... it was an accident !

he who's without sin may trow the first stone !

Rubbish when you fall asleep at the wheel its not an accident!! When you set out to drive you assume responsibility for your mental state. If your'e tired you dont drive. If you feel tired you stop and get some rest.

When was the last time you broke a traffic law?

Edited by meemiathai

He'll get off easy. He's HiSo and she was dirt to anyone of the same. Very sad how evil people can be.

What outcome would you think appropriate?

Treating all people the same in Thailand would be a great start!!!!! no Hi so or Low so instead you just get "so so"!!!!!!

Agreed! That would be great! But can you tell me which country is like that?

<snip>

So, let me get this straight. Because he didn't set out with the intention of killing someone (granted, that seems to be true), it's OK? It's not a crime?

He voluntarily got into a car whilst unfit to drive, voluntarily started the engine & voluntarily drove it. Does he not have the mental capacity to foresee that his actions could have possibly caused harm to himself or others? If not, then he should not have a licence in the first place. If he is intelligent & aware enough to make that connection, then he did do wrong.

Would you still be excusing him if he had driven drunk? If not, what is the difference? He was unfit to drive & he must have known that he felt very tired/woozy from medicine. He took a gamble. That gamble resulted in the death of someone else. To me, that is criminal, although I don't know how it stands in Thai law.

The definition of a crime does not include the fact that it was committed intentionally, AFAIK. Otherwise, manslaughter would not be a crime, would it?

I think he deserves a death penalty. If all this happened after he had read through this thread. :o

Meemiathai,

I could be wrong but I believe in the U.S. as the girl is a minor her parents are *indeed* potentially responsible now for her criminal actions, if it can be shown that they did not make a reasonable effort to supervise her But this actor is no minor. I take a very dim view of "stars" trying to use their status to escape their criminal acts in their killing machines, whether in Thailand (this guy or the nut who rammed the bus), or in the U.S. (e.g., Paris Hilton).

"Steven"

Meemiathai,

I take a very dim view of "stars" trying to use their status to escape their criminal acts in their killing machines, whether in Thailand (this guy or the nut who rammed the bus), or in the U.S. (e.g., Paris Hilton).

"Steven"

Well me too. I hate it as well when people abuse others with their power. I deal with it in everyday life.(exaggerated a bit maybe) The sad fact is there is no system that can make real justice. Lets say a policeman beats an innocent man up and tell a judge the man started to assault him first. How can we know how justice can be done?

This is a forum. And what I wanted to point out really is we should not assume someone being guilty just because he/she is rich or famous. They deserve fairness too. Which in this case to be criminally charged as well.

Meemiathai, you & I seem to want different ideals in life. If I'm reading correctly, you would like society to stop knee-jerk blaming and start trying to analyse reasons why things happen and (I'm not sure I'm right about this bit) perhaps fix the cause rather than the symptoms.

I simply want people to start taking responsibility for their actions & accept the consequences if they do wrong. And if they have connections - like this actor, or the guy this week, or Paris Hilton, not to expect (or receive) leniency because of that. Yes, people make mistakes, but you have to own your mistakes, especially when they deprive someone of their life.

Guess what? We're both equally living in cloud cuckoo land. Neither of us will get our Utopia, because society just isn't like that. :o

Gotta agree with SJ, here.

DamianMavis, if this guy habitually works so hard & pushes himself to excess, why didn't he hire a driver? Would have been the safest solution for everybody.

Gotta say that makes sense in with hindsight, I bet you Sornram would agree with you 100%, especially if he could new he could bring back the ladies life....... he has had drivers before, but...... how do you keep good drivers, how do you guarantee a driver is going to do any better (look at Diana's drive, what, a westerner, and drunk).. It is so easy to point the finger......

Gotta agree with SJ, here.

DamianMavis, if this guy habitually works so hard & pushes himself to excess, why didn't he hire a driver? Would have been the safest solution for everybody.

Gotta say that makes sense in with hindsight, I bet you Sornram would agree with you 100%, especially if he could new he could bring back the ladies life....... he has had drivers before, but...... how do you keep good drivers, how do you guarantee a driver is going to do any better (look at Diana's drive, what, a westerner, and drunk).. It is so easy to point the finger......

Yes, good point. You can't guarantee that your driver is going to be fit to drive, either. I'll give you that.

But, on that premise, which of us would use taxis after a night on the tiles (the taxi driver could be drunk too!)? Or any public transport? Sometimes, you have to believe/hope that those who are employed to do a service (drivers, nurses, doctors, teachers, you name it) are going to be sober enough & capable enough to actually do their jobs. In most (but not all) cases, our belief or hope is not misplaced.

same, same by Thai law.... Hence the reason he was arrested and charged:

Police filed initial charges against Sornram of reckless driving causing death, property damage, and fleeing the scene of an accident.

People again are judging things by their western standard. People have to understand that the person in question haven't lived a life in the west where he would be constantly reminded of road(or whatever) safety. It would have been just an ordinary thing for every bloody thai person in this country to drive in that state!

see above...

When was the last time you broke a traffic law?

I've never broken the law regarding reckless driving causing death, property damage, and fleeing the scene of an accident... have you?