Actor Kills Garbage Collector In Car Crash

sriracha john

Discusting

Can someone explain the meaning of this post for me?

The last time i responded to you in this thread i was suspended for 3 days therfore i will not be responding to the moderators pet anymore.

I did not know people get suspended here for spelling mistakes. :o

Woe woe woe :D what a pet I am! :D

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The value of the human life he killed = 8,620 baht per year or 23 baht per day.

What should this value be? What do you think a life should be worth?

Don't forget it was an accident. There was no malicious intent here.

< description of completely dissimilar situation snipped >

I think 90% of all of his current assets might be a fair starting point for compensation.

And a prison sentence of around 5-7 years for "reckless driving causing death"

lucky she was killed

..... yes, that's always a sign of good luck :o:D

Edited by sriracha john

I think 90% of all of his current assets might be a fair starting point for compensation.

lucky she was killed

If you want to quote, please take the whole sentence.

You don't agree that it's better for someone to be killed by a driver with money than one without? Where's your logic?

The story you decided to snip is not disimilar because it relates a similar tragic event which involved compensation to a family and that was the subject of this discussion ie. compensation...remember...23 baht per day.

A prison sentence of 5-7 years is absurd. Fortunately you don't make the laws.

Discusting

The last time i responded to you in this thread i was suspended for 3 days therfore i will not be responding to the moderators pet anymore.

-----------------------

Does your leg get going when you stomach is scratched? :D

Discusting

-----------------------

no! that's Acqu***e........

Discusting

-----------------------

no! that's Acqu***e........

------------------------

:D

lucky she was killed

You don't agree that it's better for someone to be killed by a driver with money than one without? Where's your logic?

I opt that it's better not to be criminally killed by anyone in the first place...period.

The story you decided to snip is not disimilar because it relates a similar tragic event which involved compensation to a family and that was the subject of this discussion ie. compensation...remember...23 baht per day.

It didn't involve anyone being criminally charged and was described as a mechanical failure, hence "completely dissimilar."

And fortunately, you don't adjudicate in these cases.

Why is it absurd? For example, in the UK, the same offense can lead up to 14 years in prison. The penalty in Japan is 5 years for reckless driving resulting in death (where alcohol is not a cause) to 20 years for drunk driving causing a death. In USA, impaired driving causing death can get you 15 years. In Australia, 10 years. Actually, my 5-7 years is in the low range of others (and I fully presume Thailand's, although I'm unable to find the specific number) maximum and is submitted in light of all the "good hearted-ness" he has displayed.

Still, I am aware of other similar cases in Thailand such as when the pop singer Annita received a suspended prison sentence, but did have the arduous task of having to perform 36 hours of community service for reckless driving causing death in which she killed two persons, so maybe Noom will also get out of any having to serve any prison time based on the "celebrity" clause that allows for just about anything.

Edited by sriracha john

lucky she was killed

No worries. If SJ was to make the laws, things are just going to be the other way round. We would all be in jail and deciding who is sacred enough to leave. That is if there are people outside to open the gates.

5-7 yrs in jail for taking cold medicine? Where on earth has this ever happened? I will be interested to know.

I think cutting his hands off would be better coz he was driving. But make sure we find someone else to do the job. We good people do not do dirty things.

I am really curious. Have these people ever made any mistakes causing people to suffer?

CRIMINALLY?

What if someone just fell asleep without taken any medicine and killed someone? Is that also criminally?

Anyway, on second thoughts, I am not really against what SJ has suggested on the penalty. But that is if the whole culture takes it that way and people are made aware of the seriousness. To take one person out and try to be harsh on him is pointless. One has to put oneself into his situation and try to understand that he was not aware of the seriousness of the situation. I thought this was basic when we try to decide a fair punishment?

I get the impression just because he is probably rich and famous then people think he should be harshly punished. What if he was a father of 3 and has a sick mother to take care of and has to drive 18 hours a day to support the family??

A few years ago in HK, a man with previous history of drink driving was drink driving again and hit a police motor cycle head on and threw him off a flyover and killed him. 36 months was the penalty. I think that sucks!

I fully agree with Meemi on this one. And I really doubt taking cold medicine has gotten anyone 5 - 7 years in prison anywhere but whatever. I worked with Sonram recently on set and he was pretty down, I didn't ask him why, I know why. This has seriously affected him, he is the kind of person that will be carrying this for the rest of his life. People are judging him because he is famous and that somehow makes him automatically evil and bad, that is silly.

Damian

lucky she was killed

< overly personal sniping snipped >

5-7 yrs in jail for taking cold medicine? Where on earth has this ever happened? I will be interested to know.

No where as far as I know... but people go to prison routinely for reckless driving causing death in most countries with the potential for far greater time as pointed out above.

I am really curious. Have these people ever made any mistakes causing people to suffer?

Speaking for myself, I've never been charged with reckless driving causing death.

What if someone just fell asleep without taken any medicine and killed someone? Is that also criminally?

That would depend on the situation and be up to the police and the judicial system to decide... same as this case where he's been criminally charged.

Anyway, on second thoughts, I am not really against what SJ has suggested on the penalty. But that is if the whole culture takes it that way and people are made aware of the seriousness. To take one person out and try to be harsh on him is pointless. One has to put oneself into his situation and try to understand that he was not aware of the seriousness of the situation. I thought this was basic when we try to decide a fair punishment?

Were you with him? How can you say he was unaware? Why wouldn't he know? Was he so delirious from sleep deprivation and drowse-enducing medication that he was unaware his driving in that state of mind was dangerous? Drunk drivers say the same thing, btw. "I thought I was ok." "I thought it would be alright." "I didn't feel that drunk." etc.

I get the impression just because he is probably rich and famous then people think he should be harshly punished.

See the above sentencing maximums. Assigning him the lower end of maximum is not dealing with him "harshly." I would also think it is a fair sentence regardless of his station in life.

What if he was a father of 3 and has a sick mother to take care of and has to drive 18 hours a day to support the family??

See above. That situation happens routinely btw and probably accounts for most of the 2,000 plus "reckless driving causing death" charges filed in the first six months of 2004. (the latest stats I could find). .

A few years ago in HK, a man with previous history of drink driving was drink driving again and hit a police motor cycle head on and threw him off a flyover and killed him. 36 months was the penalty. I think that sucks!

You're right, it does. It certainly shouldn't serve as a model for sentencing guidelines in this or any other case of similar nature.

Edited by sriracha john

I fully agree with Meemi on this one. And I really doubt taking cold medicine has gotten anyone 5 - 7 years in prison anywhere but whatever.

If that is what he was charged with, I would agree. But he wasn't charged with "taking cold medicine."

I worked with Sonram recently on set and he was pretty down, I didn't ask him why, I know why. This has seriously affected him, he is the kind of person that will be carrying this for the rest of his life.

As it will also likely affect the killed woman's family members and friends to an equal, if not greater, degree.

People are judging him because he is famous and that somehow makes him automatically evil and bad, that is silly.

Presumptive... and incorrect... and that is silly.

People ARE judging him harshly because he is famous. That is not incorrect, maybe you aren't but others obviously are. People here think they know his personality based on his station in life. Like I said, that is silly. Where's the thread about the rich kid that DELIBERATELY murdered those people from the bus in a rage, he's quite obviously a horrible person. Somehow what happened with Sonram is worse than that and I don't understand that at all. This country isn't fair, and it's not the U.S. The way this turned out, for this country, is very good for the victims family. I don't see why he should do jail time when other people here would not. If this was the U.S. and people there do jail time for accidentally killing people in car accidents (which I'm surprised to find out!) then yes he should do jail time, but it's not the U.S.

Damian

<incomplete quote snipped>

<snide remark snipped>

I opt that it's better not to be criminally killed by anyone in the first place...period.

<irrelevant comment snipped>

And fortunately, you don't adjudicate in these cases.

<irrelevant comments snipped>

<miscellaneous comments snipped>

Hallelujah! We agree on something i.e. It's better not to be killed in the first place...period.

Edited by tropo

On the basis of reports both on TV last night and today, it appears that he decided after some 5 days of minimal sleep, and whilst taking cold medication to get in to his car and go to buy a video game {according to TV last night}.

In my view that was and is irresponsible.

It is to be hoped that he will face up to his responsibilities in this. I don't agree with the hang him viewpoints expressed herein, but he made a terrible judgement error, and tragically someone paid for it with their life. He has to live with that, not a position I envy.

Regards

/edit TV = television //

I may be wrong but my comments from then in my view stand.

Regards

PS Comparing this to the Benz event strikes me as inappropriate. In this case there was a tragic error of judgement, not a violent atavistic attack.

Edited by A_Traveller

Hallelujah! We agree on something i.e. It's better not to be killed in the first place...period.

Indeed, it is. Unfortunately, that's not an option for Pitploen Takoma.

dies.jpg

Yes indeed, so now that we both agree that the deceased has no option you may understand my earlier comments that her family is lucky they will get some money...which is a lot better than if she was killed by some local pauper, right?

Please allow me to clarify in order to avoid any more confusion.

Read: They are lucky they will get some money, not: They are lucky she is dead...there is a difference.

Thanks for the pic!

Well then, I guess we'll just have to disagree then as I feel it's a "lot better" if she wasn't killed in the first place... period.

I mistakenly thought you had agreed with that.

I don't consider anyone that is killed, be it by a beggar or by Thaksin, as lucky.

I can't believe after all my explanations that you still don't get my point. Are you pulling my leg?

Seriously Sriracha... He said clear as day better not to die at all, but in this case since it has already happened, lucky that the family is getting taken care of which in most cases this would not be happening, they would get nothing normally AND she would still be dead... sheesh.

Damian

Seriously Sriracha... He said clear as day better not to die at all, but in this case since it has already happened, lucky that the family is getting taken care of which in most cases this would not be happening, they would get nothing normally AND she would still be dead... sheesh.

Damian

Thank you very much Damian for your translation. Perhaps he'll understand now. :o

Edited by tropo

I understood from the first time you said it, I merely disagreed with it. Don't take it personally.

Besides, it is just one component of the justice due her so no need to harp endlessly about it.

Any chance of this actor creating a public service announcement warning others of the dangers of impaired driving like himself so as to possibly reduce its re-occurence and subsequent carnage?

Edited by sriracha john

I understood from the first time you said it, I merely disagreed with it. Don't take it personally.

Besides, it is just one component of the justice due her so no need to harp endlessly about it.

Any chance of this actor creating a public service announcement warning others of the dangers of impaired driving like himself so as to possibly reduce its re-occurence and subsequent carnage?

I'm sorry, but your replies don't indicate you understand. If you stop "harping" we can all give it a rest.

"Besides, it is just one component of the justice due her so no need to harp endlessly about it."

this is "your" interpretation of justice....... if you are really serious contact Noom's agent and offer this idea. Lipservice of the self rightous wears thin!!

I believe his actions has shown clearly in the press from day one that he accepted full responsibility, was negligent in causing manslaughter and was willing to accept any and all punishment due. His first and formost concern was the needs of immediate family both finanically and emotionally he made himself available for all concerned. As for legal concerns, he employed lawyers as would any other person involved in the legal system. He is taking there advice as good or bad as it maybe. He has not and will not pay-off police, and public prosecutor for reduced judgement of cancellation of this case. He will do the time the courts system decides. Now whether this is jail time or not is out of his hands.

Noom has maintained himself within the publics eye and understands that this is part of the moral leadership he needs to maintain for younger Thais to see. Tell us this is what the "Benz" case is telling us......

if you are really serious contact Noom's agent and offer this idea.

I really would have thought he had a paid publicist for these sort of ideas about how to atone for his crime, but I'd be happy to send it along for free as I think it might help. Do you have a way to contact him?

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE.... and for reckless driving causing a death...the punishment is going to be a fine of 145 pound sterling or US$296 or 10,000 baht (pick whichever currency you're most familiar with)...... oh... and also, he has to do 48 hours of community service. For some reason, he's not appealing this overly harsh punishment.

30058752-01.jpg

Sornram gets suspended jail term

Popular actor Sornram Theppitak on Tuesday got a two-year suspended jail term, a Bt10,000 in fine and 48 hours of social works for killing a woman in a road accident in June.

The Ratchadapisek Criminal Court initially sentenced Sornram to three year imprisonment and Bt20,000 in fine for reckless driving that killed scavenger Pitploen Takoma in the night of June 20.

Since the 34-year-old actor's confession was useful to the case and that he had restored the telephone booth and trees he damaged and paid the victim's family to satisfaction, the court then halved the sentence to one year and six months in jail and a fine of Bt10,000.

The court suspended the imprisonment for two years and also ordered Sornram to do 48 hours of social works. The actor was also ordered to report himself to probation officials four times during the first year.

The actor, accompanied by his mother Mayuree and father Chumporn to the court, told reporters that he was content with the ruling and would carry out what the court ordered him to do and make merits for Pitploen often. "This incident is a lesson and reminder for me to be careful while driving and living life with more cautions," he added.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john