Gears switching advice

anyone

He wants to accelerate as fast as possible, and at this RPM the engine probably has the highest power output.

If you want to know how much power at which RPM a bike delivers, just Google image search for "[motorbike model] dyno", for example "honda cb500 dyno", you will then find graphs giving you this information.

If you look at motorbike specs, it usually states something like (just random numbers as example) "50HP @ 8000RPM", this is the RPM which provides you with the maximum power.

If you look at the tachometer of Moto GP riders, you will notice that they do the same.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I like low gear speed to see if my bike is in tune without having to do its top speed especially when it does over 130kph in first. 

I would get more than that in 1st on my 1993 D3 ZZR 1100 ( battlestar Galatica) back in the day, and hardly got out of 3rd when out and about, i.e. unless I got onto a freeway I was familiar with bowing out at 220kmh because the front would start to vibrate a little, so would then back off.

Have to admit, that bike in the clip sounds like it's gear are auto changing, like I said, been a while. 

Kind of surprised that's top speed for 500cc ... that's embarrassing ????

More than enough for TH though. 

My Sonic 125 @ 1/4 the CCs was quite the performer then, knowing

I was in 120s kph range more than a few times.  Though really wouldn't

want to stay going that fast for long drive.

My Honda 900cc had a split transmission hi/lo ????

Edited by KhunLA

Doing that kind of speed , at night time , on an ordinary 2 lane road in a built up area  ? Is that wise ? ( as Sgt Wilson used to say ) Granny pulls out in front from a side street  without looking , another statistic for the newspapers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Doing that kind of speed , at night time , on an ordinary 2 lane road in a built up area  ? Is that wise ? ( as Sgt Wilson used to say ) Granny pulls out in front from a side street  without looking , another statistic for the newspapers.

Fair call it's a judgement you make when you intend to high speed on a motorbike and of course there's always the possibility of fate and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. ????

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Fair call it's a judgement you make when you intend to high speed on a motorbike and of course there's always the possibility of fate and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. ????

Happened to me on Samui......Took a rental bike (Kawasaki Ninja 500) for a day to test it out.

The only place you can really ride at speed (relatively safely) on Samui is on a road known as "The Elephant Gate".....It has a few decent straights....Out in the jungle so only risking harm to yourself!

I was just clocking 170Kph when a dog ran out of the jungle.....<deleted> all I could do.......Just missed it and only just managed to keep the bike up!.....It could have been very nasty!

922037441_a1Gate.png.5c5f3be4f9fe8ab1a0cf88a3739fc9c0.png

These days I only ride an old Airblade to 7/11....I had a Fireblade in the UK and miss the fun, but I am still alive! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

He must be on the heavy side, on a rented CB500x 2018, I did max speed of 170kph in the 6th, it would get there easily, but wouldn't go passed it one bit...! (GPS speed probably less...)

Of course it depends how flat is the road and headwind, and weight etc. ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

Happened to me on Samui......Took a rental bike (Kawasaki Ninja 500) for a day to test it out.

The only place you can really ride at speed (relatively safely) on Samui is on a road known as "The Elephant Gate".....It has a few decent straights....Out in the jungle so only risking harm to yourself!

I was just clocking 170Kph when a dog ran out of the jungle.....<deleted> all I could do.......Just missed it and only just managed to keep the bike up!.....It could have been very nasty!

922037441_a1Gate.png.5c5f3be4f9fe8ab1a0cf88a3739fc9c0.png

These days I only ride an old Airblade to 7/11....I had a Fireblade in the UK and miss the fun, but I am still alive! :thumbsup:

Cool but I luv my Fireblade here in Thailand, it's a light weight bike for my old bones and easy to keep upright.

I converted to wider bars and ditched the clip on bars so much easy to maneuver now at slow speed and U-turns. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That's for grannies. ????

When I worked as a mechanic the boss's ex-wife used to bring her car in complaining  it's not running well, boss said to me she never drives over 30 mph, take it up the Motorway and thrash it in all gears, nothing else was done, it ran fine, after, she was always happy after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

When I worked as a mechanic the boss's ex-wife used to bring her car in complaining  it's not running well, boss said to me she never drives over 30 mph, take it up the Motorway and thrash it in all gears, nothing else was done, it ran fine, after, she was always happy after that.

Yeah most bikers know a redline is there for a reason you can go to it sometime.

Labouring an engine is not so good especially on a bike. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah most bikers know a redline is there for a reason you can go to it sometime.

The smaller bikes,

can go high, often.

5 ???? 5

ceeber 150///

RL= 11,500

Indicated 153 onest.

Maybe 135-140 true.

But w/ box & bag.

10%-Etol-91.

Balance-beads of course.

37 minutes ago, papa al said:

The smaller bikes,

can go high, often.

5 ???? 5

ceeber 150///

RL= 11,500

Indicated 153 onest.

Maybe 135-140 true.

But w/ box & bag.

10%-Etol-91.

Balance-beads of course.

Don't know much about speeds of small engine bikes but keeping up with an experienced rider on a CBR125 through the tight twisty roads is quite a challenge for a more powerful motorbike. ????????????

• Haha 1

I bought a cbr500r in 2017. It is actually 471cc just under 50hp two cylinder. It was ok but felt like a glorified Honda wave so upgraded to ninja zx6r with 636cc and near 130hp 4 cylinders. The difference is remarkable. I find bikes under 4 cylinders sound horrible especially with modified exhausts. More like a lawnmower!!!

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

I bought a cbr500r in 2017. It is actually 471cc just under 50hp two cylinder. It was ok but felt like a glorified Honda wave so upgraded to ninja zx6r with 636cc and near 130hp 4 cylinders. The difference is remarkable. I find bikes under 4 cylinders sound horrible especially with modified exhausts. More like a lawnmower!!!

Kwacka twins can sound quite nice with the right aftermarket end box , loud but not intrusive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Kwacka twins can sound quite nice with the right aftermarket end box , loud but not intrusive.

The 500 Ninja I rented sounded just like a Bonneville, but was definitely a bit quicker and didn't leak oil!

Kwicker- Kwacka! :smile:

Before I passed my test when I was 17 in the UK I had a Suzuki T200 Invader (2 stroke).....Red line at 8,000 RPM......It had racing baffles and really upset the neighbours when I started it up at 7:00 in the morning to go to work! :cheesy:

image.jpeg.d7a71aa9e22b82d15af42cc807dc9e9a.jpeg

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 2

Thanks to all who answered, now I will focus more on rpm than on speed.

At what speed do you drive in traffic? (I mean big motorcycle), is it 2nd gear?
My motorcycle still moves at the second gear, is at least 15 km/h even when I release the throttle. When you press the brake, it twitches terribly and still moves. I'm afraid to blow everything around LMAO

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, anyone said:

At what speed do you drive in traffic? (I mean big motorcycle), is it 2nd gear?

The gear depends on your desired speed. So what speed does "driving in traffic" mean? If very slow, then obviously 1st gear.

27 minutes ago, anyone said:

My motorcycle still moves at the second gear, is at least 15 km/h even when I release the throttle. When you press the brake, it twitches terribly and still moves. I'm afraid to blow everything around LMAO

It's not an automatic transmission, you are supposed to pull the clutch if you are going slower than idle speed. Search for something like "feathering the clutch" on Google.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

The 500 Ninja I rented sounded just like a Bonneville, but was definitely a bit quicker and didn't leak oil!

Kwicker- Kwacka! :smile:

Before I passed my test when I was 17 in the UK I had a Suzuki T200 Invader (2 stroke).....Red line at 8,000 RPM......It had racing baffles and really upset the neighbours when I started it up at 7:00 in the morning to go to work! :cheesy:

image.jpeg.d7a71aa9e22b82d15af42cc807dc9e9a.jpeg

Great memories I passed my test on my mates Batam because my dad bought me a Pather 600 with a sidecar on my 16th birthday I had already got my provisional DL to start on that date.

Dad didn't want me having a scooter which was gonna be given to me by one of our family. ????

• Like 1