Gears switching advice

anyone

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Dad didn't want me having a scooter which was gonna be given to me by one of our family. ????

I was the other way. Not allowed to have a motorbike so ended up with a scooter. 

17 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

I bought a cbr500r in 2017. It is actually 471cc just under 50hp two cylinder. It was ok but felt like a glorified Honda wave so upgraded to ninja zx6r with 636cc and near 130hp 4 cylinders. The difference is remarkable. I find bikes under 4 cylinders sound horrible especially with modified exhausts. More like a lawnmower!!!

A 220k sporty looking street bike vs. 460k street legal race track bike.

They are not even worth comparing, even if they might look similar at first glance.

2 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

They are not even worth comparing, even if they might look similar at first glance.

Well to be fair he did say he upgraded. ????

Nice kwacka the 636 use service them too. 

7 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You’re about right. There are a few bikes similar in size and appearance in the 400 to 650 cc range that may give the impression that they are comparable when parked side by side with ignition off. The difference becomes apparent right from the moment you start them up ????????????. With the CBR 500 I was able to get close to its limits in top speed and acceleration but with the zx6r I don’t have the balls to even get close. The red line rpm range is 15000 to 18000. I rarely go over 10000 as it goes wild at high rpms a risk not worth taking on public roads here. 

3 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

You’re about right. There are a few bikes similar in size and appearance in the 400 to 650 cc range that may give the impression that they are comparable when parked side by side with ignition off. The difference becomes apparent right from the moment you start them up ????????????. With the CBR 500 I was able to get close to its limits in top speed and acceleration but with the zx6r I don’t have the balls to even get close. The red line rpm range is 15000 to 18000. I rarely go over 10000 as it goes wild at high rpms a risk not worth taking on public roads here. 

I don't have a lot of experience on big bikes, but I have rented a few, CB650R and CB500X I tried, these are very different bikes, 500 is really a tame 2 cylinder, while 650 is high RPM 4 cylinder. Different riding, 650 has a lot of engine break, and needs to be ridden like a sport bike, high RPM to get top torque and HP, 500 gives top torque at 6000rpm I think. On public road you kind of use half of 650 capacity, and feel a bit wanting on 500...

I think 2 cylinder 650 of Kawa and Suzuki are a good option in between those two, should give it a try..., I thought Ninja 650 I tried once was quite good, Suzuki 650 is even smoother, I tested an old Gladius a couple of years, but I think Suzuki V-twin is expensive to buy and maintain - made in Japan...

I think Honda has their 750 two cylinders, but even that tuned for commute and docile, and not much HP..., they seem to think their 4 cylinder 650 satisfies the high octane riders, so their twins should be more economical and subdued.... !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Agusts said:

I don't have a lot of experience on big bikes, but I have rented a few, CB650R and CB500X I tried, these are very different bikes, 500 is really a tame 2 cylinder, while 650 is high RPM 4 cylinder. Different riding, 650 has a lot of engine break, and needs to be ridden like a sport bike, high RPM to get top torque and HP, 500 gives top torque at 6000rpm I think. On public road you kind of use half of 650 capacity, and feel a bit wanting on 500...

I think 2 cylinder 650 of Kawa and Suzuki are a good option in between those two, should give it a try..., I thought Ninja 650 I tried once was quite good, Suzuki 650 is even smoother, I tested an old Gladius a couple of years, but I think Suzuki V-twin is expensive to buy and maintain - made in Japan...

I think Honda has their 750 two cylinders, but even that tuned for commute and docile, and not much HP..., they seem to think their 4 cylinder 650 satisfies the high octane riders, so their twins should be more economical and subdued.... !

Yes the Honda 650 is quite popular here. Priced well with ok power and speed and that sweet inline 4 sound. Infact my first choice was the cbr650r when deciding to upgrade. Somehow the CFO (wife) had a brain fart and said “it’s ok you can get any bike you want”. I wasn’t ready for 1L class so the best bike for price/power for me was the zx6r. I bought it the next day before she realized it cost quit a bit more than the cbr650r. Too late, you said it’s ok????????

If you’re planning to hire a Japanese 600 class bike for some serious fun they’re  Honda cbr 600 rr/Kawasaki zx6r/yamaha r6/suzuki gsx r600. You’ll have a grin on your face long after returning the bike. Honda cbr 650 has 93hp but the cbr600rr has 113 hp. They’re designed for racing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Because it is a sport bike????

Yeah it's sometimes strange to hear what people say talking about bikes I guess it's there opinion so OK. 

For what's been posted in my book a good choice would be the Kwacka Ninja 650 twin it is a perfect sports bike to have in Thailand as to costs and practability.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

I'll just continue quietly putt-putting to Mom and Pops store in my village on my Honda Cub.

Retired now, no need to rush.

I'm going to the pub shortly on my Zoomer. Also not rushing. There or back:whistling:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

I'll just continue quietly putt-putting to Mom and Pops store in my village on my Honda Cub.

Retired now, no need to rush.

I'm retired too but still like acceration and speed. 

Not possible for me to go on bike trips on a Wave or the scoot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah. I appreciate that .

My Kawi 750 GT and GPZ are but a distant memory now.

Enjoy and take care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Because it is a sport bike????

Yes, what I meant to say was that it is hard to ride it on public roads to it's true potential of a sport bike, get that CB650R to 10k rpm even in 3rd gear and it's way too dangerous , a soi dog or a trike u-turning will be the end...! ????

Way too much for me anyway..., a 2 cylinder 650 will be more than enough for me on public roads... (unless I get a really heavy girlfriend, then all bets are off... 555 ????????).

11 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Yes, what I meant to say was that it is hard to ride it on public roads to it's true potential of a sport bike, get that CB650R to 10k rpm even in 3rd gear and it's way too dangerous , a soi dog or a trike u-turning will be the end...! ????

Way too much for me anyway..., a 2 cylinder 650 will be more than enough for me on public roads... (unless I get a really heavy girlfriend, then all bets are off... 555 ????????).

It's not hard to ride a sportsbike or a super sportsbike on roads in Thailand it depends where you are and what kind of rider you are. 

On 7/12/2022 at 11:44 AM, anyone said:

my users' manual recommends completely different gears (honda 500x)

2022-07-12 11_42_32-2022_cb500xa_owner_s_manual.pdf - [31MKPC300_enu] - SumatraPDF.png

From my own experience with my VFR400:

From 1st the 2nd: 100km/h

From 2nd to 3rd: 140km/h

Within the city it is not necessary to complete this list. ????

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

From my own experience with my VFR400:

From 1st the 2nd: 100km/h

From 2nd to 3rd: 140km/h

Within the city it is not necessary to complete this list. ????

How often did you replace the offal of the bike?

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

offal? Sorry, I don't know that part.

The bike has four tiny 100cc pistons, red line 14500. It wants to screeeeeeeeem.

Are the clutch, all the gears like new, not weared up?

2 hours ago, anyone said:

Are the clutch, all the gears like new, not weared up?

I had the bike for about 5 years and then I sold it.

No problem with the clutch and gears.

Problem with spare parts in general because last time that was build was (I think) in 1994.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It's not hard to ride a sportsbike or a super sportsbike on roads in Thailand it depends where you are and what kind of rider you are. 

The speed limit

by law

is 90km/hr;

so what is the point

of a super-duper bike ?

An acceleration blast that lasts maybe 4 seconds.

Congratulations.

You da man.

17 minutes ago, papa al said:

The speed limit

by law

is 90km/hr;

so what is the point

of a super-duper bike ?

Congratulations.

You da man.

The most important is to keep all traffic behind you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends on the length and time the trip takes. Find a new scooter rider and go for lunch somewhere. We do. Almost every Wednesday. Oldest rider? 82.

36 minutes ago, papa al said:

The speed limit

by law

is 90km/hr;

so what is the point

of a super-duper bike ?

Congratulations.

You da man.

Surely you know the crime of speeding is taken very seriously in Thailand. ????????

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Depends on the length and time the trip takes. Find a new scooter rider and go for lunch somewhere. We do. Almost every Wednesday. Oldest rider? 82.

When in Germany I met a guy on a BM with the boxer engine. touring he was 85. ????

I couldn't do our type of ride out on my CRF250 that's why I changed the bike.

We usually ride for about an hour and have a 15 min pit stop, 3 times in a day.

A typical ride out day is about 4 hours by that time I like to be settled in a guest house. 

Edited by Kwasaki

Speed, and Acceleration, are all down to the Gearing of the Chain Driver Gear, and the Rear Wheel Sprocket.

A Driver Gear off the Engine with - say - maybe 13 Teeth, will have a lower top end speed than a Gear on the Driver that has - say - 15 Teeth

However, the 13 Teeth Gear will have a much higher Torque and a much faster Acceleration.

There are fomulae for working out all this stuff, but I wont get into all that.

There are some good Vids on Youtube about this subject. Worth a look see,

I am a heavy rider, and I found my Bike better with a slightly lower Driver Gear and a reduction in possible top end speed

13 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Speed, and Acceleration, are all down to the Gearing of the Chain Driver Gear, and the Rear Wheel Sprocket.

A Driver Gear off the Engine with - say - maybe 13 Teeth, will have a lower top end speed than a Gear on the Driver that has - say - 15 Teeth

However, the 13 Teeth Gear will have a much higher Torque and a much faster Acceleration.

There are fomulae for working out all this stuff, but I wont get into all that.

There are some good Vids on Youtube about this subject. Worth a look see,

I am a heavy rider, and I found my Bike better with a slightly lower Driver Gear and a reduction in possible top end speed

Yep not just gearing set up but suspension set ups too. lots of Japanese bikes are set up for people weighing in at 60 kilos. ????

They must think we are all MotoGP riders. ????????