Why?

I love Samui but why.....

Do cement mixing lorries wash out their barrels by the side of the road?

Does the only decent tree for miles always have a huge fire lit directly under it?

Does a car/lorry flashing you coming the opposite way mean that he is letting you through/NOT letting you through? Your choice.

Do Farang on hire motorbikes wear funny plastic helmets?

Does reincarnation play such a large part in Thai driving skills?

Do Bandanas look so daft on porky Farangs?

Do People that need ironing wear the least amount of clothes? Particularly in supermarkets.

Are Thai dogs unconcerned about any form of traffic during slumber?

Is the only indication of a killer hole in the road only marked by a safety twig or plastic chair?

Do 15 Metre steel rods carried on the back of a 6 Metre truck only have a warning flag/anti-impaling device that consists of a Tesco shopping bag or old sock?

Do the locals feel it necessary to burn the familys' rubbish in smouldering piles next to the road?

Do the transport lorries equip themselves with the most raucus straight through exhausts known to man?

Do mini bus drivers feel it necessary to drive at least two inches from the rear of your motorbike?

Do thai women motorbike drivers abruptly stop to talk to friends, family or others in the middle of a manouvere?

These and many other questions.........??

Hi, I have been here a fairly long time, I think I can help you with answers to your question and put your heart and mind at rest:

Q: Do cement mixing lorries wash out their barrels by the side of the road?

A: The road works contractors did not have enough concrete to do the roads properly so they get their drivers to top up the cement on the roads in this way, pretty generous of them really.

Q: Does the only decent tree for miles always have a huge fire lit directly under it?

A: This is to do with animist beleifs. They believe that lighting the fire under a BIG tree warms up BIG spirits as opposed to smaller trees / smaller spirits.

Q: Does a car/lorry flashing you coming the opposite way mean that he is letting you through/NOT letting you through? Your choice.

A: To make sure everything is working OK. Besides it is fun to drive along with your horn blaring, your lights flashing everywhere and going up and down and up and down on the accelorator so you get much more noise from the engine .... like "broom broom brooooooom". Fun, eh?

Q: Do Farang on hire motorbikes wear funny plastic helmets?

A: They only look funny because they are wearning them backwards.

Q: Does reincarnation play such a large part in Thai driving skills?

A: Absolutely, of course, if you really believe in reincarnation, as the locals do, then you have no fear of death and no real need to learn road law or to have any skill whatsoever for driving because it no longer really matters if you, or anybody else, dies.

Q: Do Bandanas look so daft on porky Farangs?

A: Because they look daft on anybody anyway anytime. The only people I take seriously who wrap bandanas around their heads are those guys in gumboots on Monty Python who keep saying "my brain hurts".

Q: Do People that need ironing wear the least amount of clothes? Particularly in supermarkets.

A: Because people who need ironing are not flat yet so they can wear scanty clothing. AFter you iron one of them you can put more clothes on them, you see?

Q: Are Thai dogs unconcerned about any form of traffic during slumber?

A: Because they are sleeping.

Q: Is the only indication of a killer hole in the road only marked by a safety twig or plastic chair?

A: The Council for Road Safety did a big study and found that locals pay more attention to a twig or chair on the road than a red witches hat. Besides, the red plastic witches hats get stolen by the schools because they are always running out of the dunce hats.

Q: Do 15 Metre steel rods carried on the back of a 6 Metre truck only have a warning flag/anti-impaling device that consists of a Tesco shopping bag or old sock?

A: See the question/answer about reincarnation above.

Q: Do the locals feel it necessary to burn the familys' rubbish in smouldering piles next to the road?

A: In fact, the locals have a totally different olfactory system to Farangs and the smell of burning plastic is to a local as the smell of roses is to a Farang. Oh yeah, another thing, they feel it helps get rid of the mosquitos around sunset time too. Sure gets rid of the farangs anyway, eh?

Q: Do the transport lorries equip themselves with the most raucus straight through exhausts known to man?

A: They do this to support the speciality shops which make such exhausts. Iwent to one in Surat and they had names for different systems like "Screaming Pig" and "Shouting Woman" and "Roaring Elephant". And that my friend is NOT joke.

Q: Do mini bus drivers feel it necessary to drive at least two inches from the rear of your motorbike?

A: They are trying to read the text on the back of your T-shirt, or see what brand name shirt you are wearing so they can get one too.

Q: Do thai women motorbike drivers abruptly stop to talk to friends, family or others in the middle of a manouvere?

A: Because their gearbox is in gear but the brain is always in neutral.

Post more questions, I shall see if I can answer them for you. :o

Hi, I have been here a fairly long time, I think I can help you with answers to your question and put your heart and mind at rest:

Q: Do cement mixing lorries wash out their barrels by the side of the road?

A: The road works contractors did not have enough concrete to do the roads properly so they get their drivers to top up the cement on the roads in this way, pretty generous of them really.

Q: Does the only decent tree for miles always have a huge fire lit directly under it?

A: This is to do with animist beleifs. They believe that lighting the fire under a BIG tree warms up BIG spirits as opposed to smaller trees / smaller spirits.

Q: Does a car/lorry flashing you coming the opposite way mean that he is letting you through/NOT letting you through? Your choice.

A: To make sure everything is working OK. Besides it is fun to drive along with your horn blaring, your lights flashing everywhere and going up and down and up and down on the accelorator so you get much more noise from the engine .... like "broom broom brooooooom". Fun, eh?

Q: Do Farang on hire motorbikes wear funny plastic helmets?

A: They only look funny because they are wearning them backwards.

Q: Does reincarnation play such a large part in Thai driving skills?

A: Absolutely, of course, if you really believe in reincarnation, as the locals do, then you have no fear of death and no real need to learn road law or to have any skill whatsoever for driving because it no longer really matters if you, or anybody else, dies.

Q: Do Bandanas look so daft on porky Farangs?

A: Because they look daft on anybody anyway anytime. The only people I take seriously who wrap bandanas around their heads are those guys in gumboots on Monty Python who keep saying "my brain hurts".

Q: Do People that need ironing wear the least amount of clothes? Particularly in supermarkets.

A: Because people who need ironing are not flat yet so they can wear scanty clothing. AFter you iron one of them you can put more clothes on them, you see?

Q: Are Thai dogs unconcerned about any form of traffic during slumber?

A: Because they are sleeping.

Q: Is the only indication of a killer hole in the road only marked by a safety twig or plastic chair?

A: The Council for Road Safety did a big study and found that locals pay more attention to a twig or chair on the road than a red witches hat. Besides, the red plastic witches hats get stolen by the schools because they are always running out of the dunce hats.

Q: Do 15 Metre steel rods carried on the back of a 6 Metre truck only have a warning flag/anti-impaling device that consists of a Tesco shopping bag or old sock?

A: See the question/answer about reincarnation above.

Q: Do the locals feel it necessary to burn the familys' rubbish in smouldering piles next to the road?

A: In fact, the locals have a totally different olfactory system to Farangs and the smell of burning plastic is to a local as the smell of roses is to a Farang. Oh yeah, another thing, they feel it helps get rid of the mosquitos around sunset time too. Sure gets rid of the farangs anyway, eh?

Q: Do the transport lorries equip themselves with the most raucus straight through exhausts known to man?

A: They do this to support the speciality shops which make such exhausts. Iwent to one in Surat and they had names for different systems like "Screaming Pig" and "Shouting Woman" and "Roaring Elephant". And that my friend is NOT joke.

Q: Do mini bus drivers feel it necessary to drive at least two inches from the rear of your motorbike?

A: They are trying to read the text on the back of your T-shirt, or see what brand name shirt you are wearing so they can get one too.

Q: Do thai women motorbike drivers abruptly stop to talk to friends, family or others in the middle of a manouvere?

A: Because their gearbox is in gear but the brain is always in neutral.

Post more questions, I shall see if I can answer them for you. :o

Southbot

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. You have confirmed many of my suspicions, although I may not sleep any easier!

Cheers, Gator

You know what, I hate the expression TIT, however, this is Thailand is the appropriate answer to all the questions. Thailand has everything, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the driving, the people, the weather, etc, etc...

That's why we love it!

You know what, I hate the expression TIT, however, this is Thailand is the appropriate answer to all the questions. Thailand has everything, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the driving, the people, the weather, etc, etc...

That's why we love it!

No,this is Samui.

Do cement mixing lorries wash out their barrels by the side of the road?

Does the only decent tree for miles always have a huge fire lit directly under it?

Does a car/lorry flashing you coming the opposite way mean that he is letting you through/NOT letting you through? Your choice.

Do Farang on hire motorbikes wear funny plastic helmets?

Does reincarnation play such a large part in Thai driving skills?

Do Bandanas look so daft on porky Farangs?

Do People that need ironing wear the least amount of clothes? Particularly in supermarkets.

Are Thai dogs unconcerned about any form of traffic during slumber?

Is the only indication of a killer hole in the road only marked by a safety twig or plastic chair?

Do 15 Metre steel rods carried on the back of a 6 Metre truck only have a warning flag/anti-impaling device that consists of a Tesco shopping bag or old sock?

Do the locals feel it necessary to burn the familys' rubbish in smouldering piles next to the road?

Do the transport lorries equip themselves with the most raucus straight through exhausts known to man?

Do mini bus drivers feel it necessary to drive at least two inches from the rear of your motorbike?

Do thai women motorbike drivers abruptly stop to talk to friends, family or others in the middle of a manouvere?

why taxi's charge 300 baht to drive 5 kms. or less!

TIS This Is Samui