New to TEFL and need help finding a job

In person TEFL with teaching experience?

Real university diploma, not online?

There are lots of schools advertising on teaching websites with that (college degree and in person TEFL) as a minimum at this time.

You might need to go where you are wanted for your first job rather than where you want to be.

Recommend you look for a teachers/teaching website that has job ads.

I don't think we are allowed to refer you to other websites on ASEANNOW.

24 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

There are lots of schools advertising on teaching websites with that (college degree and in person TEFL) as a minimum at this time.

You might need to go where you are wanted for your first job rather than where you want to be.

Yes, it was an in person TEFL class. Yes, the TEFL course I took had live sessions where I was the primary instructor. And yes, it was at least 120 hours. I have an actual degree from an accredited university.

I understand that there are plenty of teaching websites that have job ads. The issue I'm having is sifting through the reviews on the schools in Thailand. Please understand me when I say I'm not asking for online job boards, I can find those easily. I'm quite literally asking for specific schools in Thailand that are reputable. By reputable, I mean they're not going to try and screw me over on pay, they actually sponsor me so I can get a work visa instead of requiring me to make constant vacation visa runs, etc. I'm not trying to be aggressive here, I'm just asking if there are any former or current instructors in Thailand that have literally any schools they would recommend.

2 hours ago, JupiWoopy said:

I'll ask that you not be condescending, I'm just presenting the facts. I didn't receive my degree from Arizona and I assure you I have a BA in Educational Studies. I'm just asking for school recommendations, that is it. If you don't have any recommendations then the conversation doesn't need to continue. Good day.

As mentioned Educational Studies in NOT THE SAME as a BA in Education/Teaching! The chances of getting 45,000 with no hassle is very, very slim with no experience. Sure you can get a job for 30,000 at a rural school or teaching center, however that throws you right into the middle of what you are trying to avoid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JupiWoopy said:

I'll ask that you not be condescending, I'm just presenting the facts. I didn't receive my degree from Arizona and I assure you I have a BA in Educational Studies. I'm just asking for school recommendations, that is it. If you don't have any recommendations then the conversation doesn't need to continue. Good day.

As mentioned Educational Studies in NOT THE SAME as a BA in Education/Teaching! The chances of getting 45,000 with no hassle is very, very slim with no experience. Sure you can get a job for 30,000 at a rural school or teaching center, however that throws you right into the middle of what you are trying to avoid. 

14 minutes ago, KIngsofisaan said:

That's fine, I never once claimed I had a BA in Education. I'm simply asking for school recommendations that fit my criteria. From the looks of it, that simply isn't going to happen. Thank you for your time.

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

We are cautious in doing it, so if you post a link make sure it is not a live link to outside sites. 

On 7/15/2022 at 6:09 AM, JupiWoopy said:

That's fine, I never once claimed I had a BA in Education. I'm simply asking for school recommendations that fit my criteria. From the looks of it, that simply isn't going to happen. Thank you for your time.

There are many people who is willing to work for less than 30,000 baht per month.

Asking for 45,000 baht is too much.

• Like 1

experience.

5 schools.  2 didn't pay, one lied, and one changed the contract to only 10 months.

you do NOT need any in-person garbage.....teaching in Thailand is super, super easy and many NES teachers can barely speak English.  Other teachers, even worse.  But you should not be ugly, and white.  I'm not joking, wish I was.  It helps a lot.   Good looking is a massive plus.

Kids are wonderful.   It's exhausting, but the kids really are great.   If not, I wouldn't have put up with the other stuff.

I'd never put a name of a school online, good or bad (impossible, get sued).   So you are on your own.

Be prepared to get frustrated, but the kids are great.   Expect 30 to 35,000 for 11 months.

I've seen over 100 falang teachers leave, including myself.  You will understand soon enough.

Haven't been in the "game" for a few years, but it's funny to think back to how crazy it was.  Don't think you will save money........money is in Falangland.   Only teach to kill boredom and let the time go.......you will NEVER be considered a real teacher, only a clown, until you get the cred. and get to a "real" school.  

Edited by Iamfalang
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

go.......you will NEVER be considered a real teacher, only a clown, until you get the cred. and get to a "real" school.  

That all depends on your performance and how well you integrate with the other teachers and your students. Not forgetting the parents of the students.

You can only get out what you put in. The complainants are usually lacking in their own abilities, commitment and general behavior. 

• Like 1

Before giving you any advice, I would like to ask about your long-term plans and your age. 

If you are under 40, or even better under 30, and are looking for an interesting experience for two to four years, I would say, quit farting about and get on a plane to Thailand.  As others have said, getting a job for 30 - 40k should not be difficult if you are a Native English Speaker.  If you are tall, blond, blue eyed and reasonably fit you should be able to walk into any Thai school and get hired immediately.  If you are not blessed with those attributes, but are reasonably neat and polite you can still get a job. 

So, once you have your job and your room you have to get your paperwork straightened out.  Now, even if they have the best intentions in the word, your new school may struggle to get this done.  The Byzantine rules of the Immigration Police, Labor Office and the Teacher's council of Thailand often baffle and appall the hapless office girl who has been given the thankless task of getting you legal.  The requirements are both confusing and haphazardly enforced.   For example, I have never had to produce a Criminal Background Check, while others have had to get fingerprinted, send those prints to the FBI, have the FBI document certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc.... 

Assuming you and the hapless office girl persevere, you should end up with a one year Visa, a matching Work Permit and a two year Teaching License Waiver.  Hopefully you are happy at your school and they treat you well, otherwise you will have to repeat the whole process all over again. 

The TCT will give you up to 3 license waivers, maybe 4 if they lose track of your previous licenses or you ask for another one very nicely.  Then your waivers will all be used up and you will have to go home or try to get a real Teacher's License.  At this time, the only way to get a Thai Teacher's license is to already have one from your home country.  Even a B.Ed. or even a M.Ed. won't help you, although remember what I said earlier about haphazard enforcement of the rules... you just might get lucky!

Now, let's assume that you want to teach as a long-term career.  Go back to school, get an M.Ed.. Get a job at a public school in the US.  Once you have your US teacher's certification and two years experience, you can get a job at an international school where you will earn 4 or 5 times as much as a TEFLer and get generous benefits including a nice long paid summer vacation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are many people who is willing to work for less than 30,000 baht per month.

Asking for 45,000 baht is too much.

Sorry, I outright refuse to work for ฿30,000 full time.

6 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

Before giving you any advice, I would like to ask about your long-term plans and your age. 

If you are under 40, or even better under 30, and are looking for an interesting experience for two to four years, I would say, quit farting about and get on a plane to Thailand.  As others have said, getting a job for 30 - 40k should not be difficult if you are a Native English Speaker.  If you are tall, blond, blue eyed and reasonably fit you should be able to walk into any Thai school and get hired immediately.  If you are not blessed with those attributes, but are reasonably neat and polite you can still get a job. 

So, once you have your job and your room you have to get your paperwork straightened out.  Now, even if they have the best intentions in the word, your new school may struggle to get this done.  The Byzantine rules of the Immigration Police, Labor Office and the Teacher's council of Thailand often baffle and appall the hapless office girl who has been given the thankless task of getting you legal.  The requirements are both confusing and haphazardly enforced.   For example, I have never had to produce a Criminal Background Check, while others have had to get fingerprinted, send those prints to the FBI, have the FBI document certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc.... 

Assuming you and the hapless office girl persevere, you should end up with a one year Visa, a matching Work Permit and a two year Teaching License Waiver.  Hopefully you are happy at your school and they treat you well, otherwise you will have to repeat the whole process all over again. 

The TCT will give you up to 3 license waivers, maybe 4 if they lose track of your previous licenses or you ask for another one very nicely.  Then your waivers will all be used up and you will have to go home or try to get a real Teacher's License.  At this time, the only way to get a Thai Teacher's license is to already have one from your home country.  Even a B.Ed. or even a M.Ed. won't help you, although remember what I said earlier about haphazard enforcement of the rules... you just might get lucky!

Now, let's assume that you want to teach as a long-term career.  Go back to school, get an M.Ed.. Get a job at a public school in the US.  Once you have your US teacher's certification and two years experience, you can get a job at an international school where you will earn 4 or 5 times as much as a TEFLer and get generous benefits including a nice long paid summer vacation.

I would like to do this long term, but if I'm not going to be paid a livable wage then I'll search somewhere else. I refuse to get a Master's degree for a job that pays less than minimum wage in my country. I'll just try a different country. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

If you have no ties to Thailand, I would strongly advise considering another country, such as Vietnam.  They pay a lot more, are more accepting of foreigners, value a Western education more, take education a lot more seriously and you're a lot higher up on the social ladder.  Also the roads are safer and immigration doesn't view their primary role as making foreign people feel hated.  The only real downside is the petty crime, sneakiness and the fact that the kids are nowhere near as lovely (communism sucks).  And the food maybe isn't as nice or clean.  (Also prostitution is nowhere near the same level, in case that's your bag.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand, but covid has taken its toll on the people.  If the pay and respect were the same, I would say Thailand might clinch it, but wages and social status can make a real difference in your life, both short-term and long-term.

Not an easy decision, but worth thinking about.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If you have no ties to Thailand, I would strongly advise considering another country, such as Vietnam.  They pay a lot more, are more accepting of foreigners, value a Western education more, take education a lot more seriously and you're a lot higher up on the social ladder.  Also the roads are safer and immigration doesn't view their primary role as making foreign people feel hated.  The only real downside is the petty crime, sneakiness and the fact that the kids are nowhere near as lovely (communism sucks).  And the food maybe isn't as nice or clean.  (Also prostitution is nowhere near the same level, in case that's your bag.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Thailand, but covid has taken its toll on the people.  If the pay and respect were the same, I would say Thailand might clinch it, but wages and social status can make a real difference in your life, both short-term and long-term.

Not an easy decision, but worth thinking about.

I'll start looking into Vietnam then. Thanks for the advice.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:16 PM, JupiWoopy said:

I'll start looking into Vietnam then. Thanks for the advice.

Before you give up on Thailand completely, may I suggest you consider....

Taking that 30-35k a month starter job in a demonstration school, preferably their EP or IP programmes, on a couple of conditions:
1. It's a fully paid 12-month contract so you get paid for all the holidays
2. You have limited hours e.g. 20 or less a week.

It really won't be a challenging workload (arguably only worth 35k) so that you have plenty of energy to top up your earnings with 500THB-an-hour part-time jobs at language schools. If your target location is BKK, then there's plenty of such PT jobs posted on a weekly basis.

In this way, you can easily get to your target 45k a month base and still have plenty of time for a social life.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, JupiWoopy said:

Sorry, I outright refuse to work for ฿30,000 full time.

I would like to do this long term, but if I'm not going to be paid a livable wage then I'll search somewhere else. I refuse to get a Master's degree for a job that pays less than minimum wage in my country. I'll just try a different country. Thanks for the help.

Can I hazard a guess that you're in your 20s? There's full time and there's full time. Many 30k entry-level TEFL jobs are more akin to part-time jobs or paid internships than actual full-time jobs. Given the silly number of holidays you will get as a teacher (assuming you're employed directly at a government school), you have ample opportunity to increase your overall earnings.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, JupiWoopy said:

I would like to do this long term, but if I'm not going to be paid a livable wage then I'll search somewhere else. I refuse to get a Master's degree for a job that pays less than minimum wage in my country.

"I refuse to get a Master's degree for a job that pays less than minimum wage in my country"

I never understand comments like this. What's the minimum wage in your country got to do with anything? There's a shopping plaza called Terminal 21 in the center of Bangkok. On the 5th floor food court, you can get lunch for as low as 1 USD. If you are willing to use the air-conditioned BTS skytrain for a 30-40 minute commute, you can get a decent condo for 200 USD a month, etc, etc, etc. Cost of living in the US should have no relevance whatsoever if that higher degree is going to help you get a job in Thailand.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I never understand comments like this. What's the minimum wage in your country got to do with anything?

It's a baseline for what I'm willing to do. As stated previously, I refuse. I feel that I shouldn't have to defend my answer further. Money may not be the most important thing in the world to me, but I still value it and myself enough to say no to a job that doesn't want to pay a livable wage. There is no argument you can use that will convince me otherwise.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

With that degree what you should be hoping for is to skirt the licensing requirement and just have it granted to you.

You'll have no difficulty getting and keeping a job. Bangkok is the place. If you hold out you can easily start at 36-40k and maybe that 45k with a desperate agency. I would not recommend working for any agency. Plan to make a jump to 50+ at the two year mark and when your waiver dies.

People here teaching English with freaking f/Art degrees for SFF!

• 2 months later...

Sad to see this terrible "advice". I got the same from many past coworkers. Come on guys. There no measuring tape here. He/she also isn't a threat to your job, as post-Covid there's still plenty of jobs to go around.

Don't teach in or around BKK. There you'll get worse attitudes, from coworkers such as this, or the Thai admins. They know everyone wants to teach where the action is, so this is where everyone tries, and it's just a revolving door. Here you're also more likely to deal with the nonsense as mentioned, embassy document verification and fingerprinting. There's also the higher cost of BKK living, such as higher rent and daily transportion, that'll eat into your salary.

Teach up in Issan, the Northeastern provinces. Here there's the most demand and appreciation for your work. Try to deal with a school directly and avoid agencies, who will only give you more hassles. Play up your experience, what good experiences they were, how you love working with kids. Having some photos printed off of some activities you've done would be excellent. See if you can get a reference letter or two. Tell them about how you want to get the kids active with projects, making posters, roleplays, skits, actually using practical English. This is what they love to see.

30k is old news. Again, there's still a teacher shortage, and schools know well they haven't been coming off the planes as they were. 40k is definitely doable even out here in Issan, especially if you avoid an agency who takes a cut. Then you'll enjoy a lower cost of living, friendlier people, and less of that BKK daily commute and attitude that absolutely killed me. Cheers.

• Like 2

The Ajarn.com website has lots of current jobs and you can filter out those that don't meet your salary requirement.  If you're already in Thailand (which you really need to be if you're serious) do some research and make yourself available for immediate interviews and teaching demonstrations.  If your face fits, you'll have a great chance.  Networking with other teachers is also good as you'll find many contacts.  It might mean socialising in the bar areas though, as that's where you'll meet them!  I wouldn't start anywhere other than Bangkok.

Good luck. 

Edited by brewsterbudgen

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Sad to see this terrible "advice". I got the same from many past coworkers. Come on guys. There no measuring tape here. He/she also isn't a threat to your job, as post-Covid there's still plenty of jobs to go around.

Don't teach in or around BKK. There you'll get worse attitudes, from coworkers such as this, or the Thai admins. They know everyone wants to teach where the action is, so this is where everyone tries, and it's just a revolving door. Here you're also more likely to deal with the nonsense as mentioned, embassy document verification and fingerprinting. There's also the higher cost of BKK living, such as higher rent and daily transportion, that'll eat into your salary.

Teach up in Issan, the Northeastern provinces. Here there's the most demand and appreciation for your work. Try to deal with a school directly and avoid agencies, who will only give you more hassles. Play up your experience, what good experiences they were, how you love working with kids. Having some photos printed off of some activities you've done would be excellent. See if you can get a reference letter or two. Tell them about how you want to get the kids active with projects, making posters, roleplays, skits, actually using practical English. This is what they love to see.

30k is old news. Again, there's still a teacher shortage, and schools know well they haven't been coming off the planes as they were. 40k is definitely doable even out here in Issan, especially if you avoid an agency who takes a cut. Then you'll enjoy a lower cost of living, friendlier people, and less of that BKK daily commute and attitude that absolutely killed me. Cheers.

There are a lot of generalisations in your post.

Not all teachers wish to teach "where the action is". Therefore, schools do not know this.

Agencies are not a bad thing. There are 2 very good agencies that operate in Isaan. Lesson plans provided, test papers provided, co ordinators on site at all times, rising salaries (40k possible within 2 years), visa, extension and work permit sorted and paid for.

30k is not old news everywhere in Isaan. Most schools outside of the larger towns will not be able to afford anymore. 40k is doable, as explained above and as you seem to be earning, but not a given. Especially for a new guy in a new job.

Not all towns in Isaan can offer jobs where some sort of transportation is not required. Whether it is a bus, train, motorcycle, taxi, tuk tuk or car. There is a lot of difference in each province. Town centre of Khon Kaen is a lot different to the next district even though it could only be 10kms down the road.

Admins of schools also vary. I've been in BKK and worked for very good schools with good admin departments. I've also worked in Isaan towns where the admin are sh%$ and do give much notice to foreign staff.

You seem to have a good job and one that gives you what you need. That does not, however, mean that it is the same everywhere else.

Cost of living??? Varies also. 

Well good on you mate for letting your fingers do the work... Do you have enough of the Thai flavor of teaching situations?  Seems your going to try for the junior-senior high level students.. .hmm.. that can be a disaster and a complete discouraging experience or you can luck out and hit a homer.

Pay.. all various levels.. even at some unis  even with an MA...some start you out at 30K .. sad to report..

I Have taught in the rural village high schools with an Government Agency, and that was a blast, because you had the support of the Government resources, and the focus was different. Later on into the unis and some issues and then a great administration, then key people retire and the new crew of XXXXX come in and muck it up.. thus the exodus. 

Someone wrote it early on this thread.. if you want to come experience Thailand and give Teaching a try go for it.. it will be a year of adaptation.   You can search for the organization that  provide program placements for a fee.    Since you are new to this you need to put in the time and jump the hoops.  

As far as your degrees, all part of the game, however many schools do keep a watchful eye out for the SO-CALLED - Degree.  

Come for the fun but then go back and get a proper degree that will allow more acceptance with better qualifications.   Cheers

post-7852-0-96922500-1428167419_thumb.jpg

The OP has long left the building. Bit like talking to a wall now, ain't it?

On a side note, 45k a month for a fresh TEFL'er seems to be reaching a bit (very) high, especially in the sticks of the E-Sarn region.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:59 AM, Iamfalang said:

experience.

5 schools.  2 didn't pay, one lied, and one changed the contract to only 10 months.

you do NOT need any in-person garbage.....teaching in Thailand is super, super easy and many NES teachers can barely speak English.  Other teachers, even worse.  But you should not be ugly, and white.  I'm not joking, wish I was.  It helps a lot.   Good looking is a massive plus.

Kids are wonderful.   It's exhausting, but the kids really are great.   If not, I wouldn't have put up with the other stuff.

I'd never put a name of a school online, good or bad (impossible, get sued).   So you are on your own.

Be prepared to get frustrated, but the kids are great.   Expect 30 to 35,000 for 11 months.

I've seen over 100 falang teachers leave, including myself.  You will understand soon enough.

Haven't been in the "game" for a few years, but it's funny to think back to how crazy it was.  Don't think you will save money........money is in Falangland.   Only teach to kill boredom and let the time go.......you will NEVER be considered a real teacher, only a clown, until you get the cred. and get to a "real" school.  

Better not to teach kids. 

There several International Schools in Bangkok. Ruamrudii International School, Bangkok I S, and more. There are also several in Pattaya. The Regents is one.

Look them up, then dress neatly and take your degree, TEFEL Cert, CV and go and see them.

Also a High So Thai school, Bangkok Christian College in Satorn road. They also team teach (or used to). 

Do the rounds.

Chang Mai also has International Schools and a big university campus at Khong Kean that has English teachers.

Used to be big language schools around Siam Square.

Good luck. ????