Retirement extension - conversion from affadavit method to $800K method

Have been using the embassy affadavit method for the past 5 years, however I intend to use the 800K nested method going forward. My understanding is that for this initial extension using 800K method, all that is required is a letter from my bank confirming that the 800K has been on deposit for at least 2 months - is that correct? (Do I need to bring bank book as well even if the account is only 6 months old?)

I also understand that I will need to keep a minimum balance of 800K for three months following the extension and then a minimum of 400K during the next 7 months before topping up again to 800K for the final 2 months before the next extension - is that correct?

As for the next extension, I will require a letter from the bank confirming the 800K for two months as well as statements (stamped by the bank) confirm the balances throughout the previous 12 months - is that correct?

Appreciate any and all feedback as don't want to get be shorthanded at Rayong immigration ????

Thanks

22 minutes ago, ozgolfguy said:

As for the next extension, I will require a letter from the bank confirming the 800K for two months as well as statements (stamped by the bank) confirm the balances throughout the previous 12 months - is that correct?

Your OP is basically correct.

The bank letter confirms you are account holder and balance on that day.

You will need  provide bank book and photocopies to show 800k in bank for 2 months prior to application.

Also need to  bankbook to show monthly deposits from previous extension.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Your OP is basically correct.

The bank letter confirms you are account holder and balance on that day.

You will need  provide bank book and photocopies to show 800k in bank for 2 months prior to application.

Also need to  bankbook to show monthly deposits from previous extension.

As my previous extension was based on an affadavit, do I need to show monthly deposits to immigration on this initial 800K extension or just the bank letter and passbook with the 800K?

9 minutes ago, ozgolfguy said:

As my previous extension was based on an affadavit, do I need to show monthly deposits to immigration on this initial 800K extension or just the bank letter and passbook with the 800K?

No need to show monthly transfers when changing to the 800k baht option.

17 minutes ago, ozgolfguy said:

I'm surprised with uj reply.

Having said that, that guy never wrong.

I would have typed that they will want to see your previous monthly deposits.

Back to your previous extension.

Apparently not. 

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is not requirement to show monthly deposits unless you are applying for the extension using that option.

Another factor in the OP's case he has been showing proof from his embassy for his extension.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need a bank letter and a copy of your updated bank book showing the 800l baht has been in the bank for 2 months for your first extension.

What you need for your 2nd extension using the 800k baht in the bank option varies from office to office.

Agreed.

Also varies from officer to officer.

Rafferty's rules indeed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Apart from the bank letter, you may need a statement, update your book by i.e. deposit 100baht, and copies of all bank book pages.  

Definitely don't need a statement at Rayong - which happens to be my office as well as the OP's. I, myself, switched from the 65k monthly income method to the 800k bank balance method for the first time in connection with my latest retirement extension application there last Tuesday. Although I had obtained an account confirmation letter plus statements covering the previous 12 months identifying monthly 65k+ transfers (my home country embassy being one of those which no longer provides an income confirmation service), Rayong weren't interested in seeing these. Instead all that I was required to provide were a bank confirmation letter plus passbook (and copies) relating to my separate dedicated 800k account - which included a token 20 THB transfer which I had made into it the previous day.

The OP should, however, be aware that Rayong do require account confirmation letters to be obtained the same day as the associated retirement extension applications in the case of the 800k method.

Edited by OJAS

On 7/16/2022 at 12:19 PM, hotandsticky said:

So you missed the fact that the OP was dealing with Rayong?

.. who most certainly aren't one of those offices still insisting on a 3-month seasoning period, @proton!

Edited by OJAS

On 7/16/2022 at 12:01 PM, DrJack54 said:

Back to your previous extension.

Apparently not. 

Definitely not the case at Rayong in my experience - see my first previous posting.

Edited by OJAS
  • Confused 1

On 7/18/2022 at 5:40 AM, OJAS said:

Definitely not the case at Rayong in my experience - see my first previous posting.

I had the same experience at Bangkok when I switched this year.  I'd prepared all the documents to show that I had complied with the previous 12 months of transfers since the last extension (bit of a PITA I thought as you essentially have to comply with both sets of conditions) but the IO wasn't interested.  

That said, personally I think it's better to have the documentation, particularly if you are applying for a renewal very close to the expiry date (leaving you less time to sort stuff out) simply because one cannot predict whether they will be required either because of a dictate from the local (or even national) boss or because the IO is being very diligent or even just bloody minded.  Technically I would have thought they should check that you have complied with the conditions of the extension you were granted previously (I even had to get my passbook updated to show the monthly transfers in when I renewed my passport, but after I applied for my extension, the year before last when I took it in to get the stamps transferred).  Not being asked to show the proof, as in the case when I switched method, doesn't mean the IO shouldn't or won't ask IMO.

43 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I'd prepared all the documents to show that I had complied with the previous 12 months of transfers since the last extension

Indeed that was my understanding.

Has been pointed out earlier in the thread that the proof of monthly transfers was not required for previous 12 months.

So you can obtain an extension based on income method.....then make zero transfers into your account and switch to money in bank method for your next extension. Strange. 

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Indeed that was my understanding.

Has been pointed out earlier in the thread that the proof of monthly transfers was not required for previous 12 months.

So you can obtain an extension based on income method.....then make zero transfers into your account and switch to money in bank method for your next extension. Strange. 

We can never be sure I suppose but my suspicion is that people who have got away with doing that just got lucky.  It does seem strange though, and as I said, when I went to transfer the stamps into my new passport that did check that I had been complying since renewal.  Seems odd they'd bother about a few months but then not care about a whole year.  If I had to do the change in method again though I'd still take both sets of documents, either that or renew early and be prepared to have to go to Immigration again.  For me though, preparing both sets of documents was less less of a PITA than having to go home, start again and go to Immigration a second time.

• Like 1