BKK governor says contractor accountable for delay in Sukhumvit 103 tunnel project

webfact

image.jpeg

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt announced Sunday that the contractor for the construction of the 4.9 billion baht underground tunnel project in Sukhumvit Soi 103, Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Plc, must be held accountable for the delays.

The contract for the project was signed with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) on January 13th, 2016 and was scheduled to be completed on February 15th this year. On February 26th, however, a wall in the tunnel, about 30 metres underground, collapsed, forcing a more than two-year delay in the completion of the project.

Governor Chadchart and one of his deputies, Wisanu Subsompon, inspected the construction site, where he was met by several residents of the area, who complained about the inconvenience and hardship they are enduring as a result of the project.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bkk-governor-says-contractor-accountable-for-delay-in-sukhumvit-103-tunnel-project/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Think there should be a new law, every construction project that falls behind means every employee of the company must be out with a pick and shovel until its finish - office staff,  management and all 

Do they have that in the west too or is that just something you just came up with. Now paying compensation is an other thing that is of course normal just like in other countries.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do they have that in the west too or is that just something you just came up with. Now paying compensation is an other thing that is of course normal just like in other countries.

If I was a share holder, I vote they were out with the pick and shovel to finish on time - not taking money from my dividend payout for compensation !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

"a wall in the tunnel, about 30 metres underground, collapsed"

Faulty contractor work....probably accepted by the past administration as a bad luck incident....but this type of thing is a regular occurrence in Bangkok

The contractors rarely get prosecuted for negligence

Let’s not forget the kickbacks that have to be paid all around from the budget allocated to the project (they say 30% of the budget of any government project go into various pockets) resulting in using substandard material. By the way, I wonder how much money went into those pockets for the construction of the new still unfinished parliament building.. Remember those clocks, among other?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt announced Sunday that the contractor for the construction of the 4.9 billion baht underground tunnel project in Sukhumvit Soi 103, Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Plc, must be held accountable for the delays.

That could prove tricky.

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Well many of the main shareholders of that company, or main shareholders in those listed companies are part of the untouchables in Thailand. So just like the shoddy government building that this contractor was also responsible for, nothing much will happen, other then of course, a stupendous increase in the budget to enable the contractor to finish.

Seems like this outfit get all the best projects but can't deliver the goods.

I wonder who is at the top?

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Seems like this outfit get all the best projects but can't deliver the goods.

I wonder who is at the top?

And indirectly whom one of the main shareholders is might be a better question

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 7:16 AM, RichardColeman said:

If I was a share holder, I vote they were out with the pick and shovel to finish on time - not taking money from my dividend payout for compensation !

Your not rich enough to be a share holder (to have any meaningful influence), so its just your personal vision. Not something that is done in any country. I guess that says enough.