Is this normal in Thailand?

I think @johnnybangkokis giving you the correct information.  Most schools want a person on site and ready to work and getting all the paperwork ahead of time becomes time consuming.  In the past, we have only once had to supply a valid, properly signed and stamped contract for an overseas Embassy.  We have been able to supply a letter of employment and the documents related tot he schools licensure, etc.  

It depends greatly on where the person is located.  Unless an applicant is within easy access to an Embassy or consulate, all this is done by mail.  We send a contract, they sign (and have it witnessed) and return it to us.  We then sign and stamp it and send it back.  In the past, that alone took a significant amount of time.  The applicant then has to mail everything, including their passport to the Embassy.  If they want anything else, it takes a lot of time. 

Most people that we have employed who have gone through this process eventually just gave up and got on a plane and flew here.   A few have gone through the process, but all of them were close to an Embassy and made the multiple trips it took to get it done.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 2:17 PM, Brian Nose said:

Idk. No contract, no job in my mind. It doesn't feel secure. But if this is just a Thai thing..

Honestly "Thai thing" or not you have to do your own cost, benefit, risk analysis. If you can afford the to lose the cost of relocation and loss of income for a significant duration ,and are tickle by the adventure, go ahead. Otherwise not. But believe me this place is more unfair than the jungle.

22 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Not true; employment contracts are very important in Thailand. 

Obviously anyone can get fired at any time at any job in any country but Thai employment law is very strict about the notice period money you should be getting paid and is VERY employee biased. You also have a robust system for unfair dismisal and the likes. This is why it's important to get the contract (with agreed notice periods) agreed in advance. If done properly it WILL hold up in an employment tribunial.  

All the laws are properly in Thailand, enforcement and years of court by delaying purposely from one party, have fun with that. Meanwhile you be bankrupt for having been unemployed, and even you win, might take another 30 years if you ever get the money.

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

All the laws are properly in Thailand, enforcement and years of court by delaying purposely from one party, have fun with that. Meanwhile you be bankrupt for having been unemployed, and even you win, might take another 30 years if you ever get the money.

Incorrect on most of your points.

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2022 at 2:54 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

No, you didn't get the job. You have a promise to get a job. And promises can be broken.

That reminds me of my last bargirl. She told me: I love you too much.

But she didn't mention if she will continue that love after the night is over.

Same same, not so different. 

The Dude has spoken.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...